Exercise calories?

Options
Good morning,

I am VERY confused over here...
My calorie goal is 1200 calories a day which means when I work out (5 times a week) and burn 500 calories on my elliptical my total goes up to 1700 calories...Does this mean I should be eating only 1200 calories or 1700 calories to lose weight? MY SCALE IS STALLED AND HAS BEEN FOR A MONTH NOW :(
Thanks,
Elissa

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    1700 calories. MFP already calculates a deficit for you when they give you the 1200 calorie goal. Too great of a deficit and you may have problems maintaining the plan and probably will gain weight back when you return to eating at maintenance. So the idea is to keep the deficit at 500 or 1000 or whatever MFP calculated when you entered your goals. In order to do that, you eat back your exercise calories.

My observation on stalls is that either a) someone is eating too much because their logging isn't accurate or b) someone is overestimating their exercise calories or c) someone isn't eating enough on a regular basis (often this causes binges or overindulging on "cheat" days/meals). Check and double check your data and then...be patient.

Good luck!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    When you selected your activity level (sedentary, light active, active, etc.) did you include your 5 times a week exercise? If you have a desk job it's best to select sedentary, log your exercises in MFP, and eat the additional calories. Review your activity level in Settings and do not include your workouts. MFP calculates a calorie deficit whether you exercise or not.
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies :)

I will check my settings!!

Elissa