Does cleaning count?

Options
2»

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    My point is, anything that involves sweating shouldn't be considered exercise. Put simply, sweat rate is not a reliable metric. I love MFP for its community, but personally I think it's rather silly to try and estimate each and every single calorie expended. Let's face it... any activity expends energy. The more intense or voluminous the activity, the more calories that are burned. But if we're trying to estimate total TEA (thermic effect from activity), shouldn't we be estimating the low-energy-cost and high-energy-cost activities? Considering how horribly inaccurate most calorie expenditure estimations are, it seems too slippery of a slope if you ask me. Plus it's tedious.

I'd much sooner pick a reasonable daily calorie goal and if it doesn't cause the changes I'm shooting for, I adjust the daily calorie goal up or down as needed.

But that's me.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I do. I don't add the normal things I do every day like washing up for 10 minutes or putting the washing machine on and unloading it or cleaning the bath before I get in it/after I get out, but if I'm going a general tidy up for an hour which includes picking up stuff off the floor, cleaning the bathroom and kitchen, hoovering and mopping the floors then I do. I choose the 'light to moderate effort' one.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't. I have been cleaning my home for years and never lost any weight. All the things that I normally do in a day (or night) I just don't count. I only count the purposeful stuff.