Constantly tired?

Options
taiyola
taiyola Posts: 964 Member
It seems no matter how little or how much I sleep for, I'm constantly tired. I've been awake for 2 hours, and I could quite happily go back to bed! I'm always like this. I stayed in bed an extra hour and a half this morning because I couldn't get up and kept falling back asleep and sleeping through my alarm. Some nights I'm sleeping for 5-7 hours, and others for 9-10. Once a week or so I probably end up sleeping for a good 12 hours!

I need to get ready and walk my dog on the field, and then to the supermarket and back. I have zero energy. He keeps looking at me wondering when we're going :laugh:

Does anyone else get this?

I was prescribed Ferrous Sulphate (Iron) tablets about 6 years ago, so I've started taking them again regularly. How long before I should realise whether it's Anaemia, my sleeping pattern, or something else? :indifferent:

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask you if your iron was low when I started reading this. Give yourself a couple of weeks with the ferrous sulphate and see how that goes. Make sure that you don't take it with food.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It probably is anemia, hon. I have the same problem. I stop taking them for awhile and I started to get exhausted. I blamed it on exercise, but it was the pills. take at least one a day...I started them again and I sleep a lot better.Have you had you TOM recently? That is a huge iron depleter.
  • taiyola
    Options
    DON'T take it with food? I'm taking it after a meal with a glass of water. Having it on an empty stomach in the past has given me severe stomach cramp where it led me to not being able to sleep?
  • taiyola
    Options
    It probably is anemia, hon. I have the same problem. I stop taking them for awhile and I started to get exhausted. I blamed it on exercise, but it was the pills. take at least one a day...I started them again and I sleep a lot better.Have you had you TOM recently? That is a huge iron depleter.

I have TOM right now, but I'm honestly like this alllll the time. I blamed it on my varied sleep pattern before, but even during periods where I've gone to bed at the same time etc, I've been the same. I was advised for 600mg a day (3 tabs) before, so I'm trying that.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I was tired all the time and it was a food allergy. Sometimes it is not always the simplest thing. I would go back to the doctor and insist on more tests.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Change your settings in your food diary to include iron... then you don't have to guess if you're getting enough or not. I did that and then looked at a 3 week period...every day but one or two I was only getting half of what was recommended. That explained why I was weak and dizzy a lot. Since I've upped my iron, I haven't done the dizzy and weak thing... but I'm still catching up on my sleep. I didn't want to take a suppliment, so I am eating a cereal that is fortified with iron. Good luck.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am the same way lately...but my iron is not low....so I dont know what to tell ya. I have started taking a multivitamin.
  • JulieThielen
    JulieThielen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I take my iron at night. My doctor prescribed the slow release and I am doing much better since switching to taking it right before bed.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I take B vitamins to help boost my energy- after taking them regularly for about a week or two I definitely noticed the difference :)
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Try doing a work out right away in the morning. I used to feel constantly tired as well, but after I switched to morning workouts, I am not so tired throughout the day....
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am tired all the time, and I sleep around 8 hours a night. I do wake up at least once or twice per night (usually for the bathroom) but I always feel tired. My husband jokes that I am like a bear, because I need to sleep so much. I could easily sleep 10-12 hours per day.
    I have heard that even if you go to bed at a different hour, waking up at the same time every day is important.
    I am pretty healthy- exercise 5-6 times per week, don't eat much rubbish-y food, don't smoke or drink, but I am exhausted every day...I thought I might try vitamin B tablets as a friend has said they give her more energy. It is something you could ask a doctor or dietician on your next visit?
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    What are you eating?

I used to have very low iron blood and was prescribed Fer-In-Sol (a liquid form of the ferrous sulfate taken on empty stomach with fruit juice). Don't need it anymore now that I'm paying attention to diet. However there are all kinds of metabolic reasons for fatigue that you might consider (dietary intolerances, hormone imbalance, nutritional deficiencies etc)
  • taiyola
    Options
    I know my doctor would suggest a blood test, but I've never had one and refuse to have one. I went from 1995 - 2010 without having any injections! A few years back when my old doctor prescribed it was because I was going dizzy a lot so he said to give them a go for a couple of weeks. Since then I've taken them on and off. I usually get leg pains when I haven't had them for a while, so then I take one or two and repeat...

I take a multivitamin every day and have done for a few years now. It's only when I run out and don't take it for a few days that I get ill.

I could try the night time thing I guess, but all 3 at once seems a bit odd?
  • Schuky01
    Schuky01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You may also want to go to the Dr. and get your thyroid checked. If you suffer from hypothyroidism that could make you tired.
  • 65kar52
    65kar52 Posts: 23
    Options
    Was told during pregnancy to take two iron tablets which I took together in the morning but doc noticed no difference in iron levels after two weeks and told me I was supposed to take them separately - 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening otherwise I might as well just be taking 1.
    Also, I think taking them with orange juice helps as Vit C helps body to absorb iron (open to correction on that but I think I read that somewhere before).
  • coxy1968
    coxy1968 Posts: 77
    Options
    It might be worth asking your doctor to check your Thyroid levels as being very tired is a sympton of under active thyroid, a simple blood test will let them know.
  • taiyola
    Options
    Yes! I am tired all the time, and I sleep around 8 hours a night. I do wake up at least once or twice per night (usually for the bathroom) but I always feel tired. My husband jokes that I am like a bear, because I need to sleep so much. I could easily sleep 10-12 hours per day.
    I have heard that even if you go to bed at a different hour, waking up at the same time every day is important.
    I am pretty healthy- exercise 5-6 times per week, don't eat much rubbish-y food, don't smoke or drink, but I am exhausted every day...I thought I might try vitamin B tablets as a friend has said they give her more energy. It is something you could ask a doctor or dietician on your next visit?

This is me! It's impossible for me to get up at the same time daily though. On my days off work I get up around 10am-1pm depending on what time I go to bed, and on my nights at work I'm going to bed at 5 or 6am! So I can't really get up at the same time every day, but I try and make sure I get enough sleep if I can. Just such a struggle to get out of bed! The more I sleep, the more tired I seem to get though!! I'm in the UK, but my doctor would only suggest a blood test, and when I say no, he'll no doubt say there's nothing he can do and to just sleep at the same times every day. Like I said though, when I wasn't working and would sleep at similar times every day, I was still the same :ohwell:
  • taiyola
    Options
    Try doing a work out right away in the morning. I used to feel constantly tired as well, but after I switched to morning workouts, I am not so tired throughout the day....

Lol, I can barely open my mouth in the mornings, never mind work out! :laugh:
  • sheenanigan
    sheenanigan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was the same, saw my doc and had blood tests which showed Vitamin B12 deficiency (I am vegetarian and this is quite common). I was prescribed B12 injections of which I've had one but can already see a slight change. Was due for my second on Wednesday but forgot cos my son was sick so going tomorrow. I've heard great thing about the injections but if you don't like them you can have daily tablets instead - I just know I'd forget so chose this option.

Worth checking out. Good luck x
  • taiyola
    Options
    What are you eating?

I used to have very low iron blood and was prescribed Fer-In-Sol (a liquid form of the ferrous sulfate taken on empty stomach with fruit juice). Don't need it anymore now that I'm paying attention to diet. However there are all kinds of metabolic reasons for fatigue that you might consider (dietary intolerances, hormone imbalance, nutritional deficiencies etc)

I'm vegetarian, although I eat fish about 5 times a year. I'm trying to eat less junk and more healthy foods. I drink 8-14 glasses of water a day, take a multivitamin, 2-3 iron tablets now, and try and eat protein, carbs and fruit/veg/salad with every meal. Also exercise every day.