I've pondered this for awhile ,

HunnieM
HunnieM Posts: 37
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
So, what I have always wondered is why the government complains about our nation having an epidemic over obesity BUT yet healthy food is a considerable amount more money than junk food. That is and can keep a lot of people from buying it. Yes in the long run buying healthy food would be a cheaper option and not to mention a better one but still this healthy food is starting to make my wallet cry.

Replies

• exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Fast food and processed food is cheap because it's processed with additives, salt, fillers.. With all the junk they throw into it, the cheaper it is produce and also cheaper to buy. In all actuality, fruit, meat, and grains are relatively cheap. Sure if you buy brand name "health" foods it will be more expensive. But that's because they can set their own prices and people pay for it. Marketing. The best bet is to buy bulk, freeze portions for later, start cooking, etc...
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Fast food and processed food is cheap because it's processed with additives, salt, fillers.. With all the junk they throw into it, the cheaper it is produce and also cheaper to buy. In all actuality, fruit, meat, and grains are relatively cheap. Sure if you buy brand name "health" foods it will be more expensive. But that's because they can set their own prices and people pay for it. Marketing. The best bet is to buy bulk, freeze portions for later, start cooking, etc...

Good answer.

And most of processed food is made from corn. Corn is in everything, its cheap and its grown here.
    So those prices are low.

It's worth the money to eat healthy. I rarely go down aisles in the supermarket. Everything on the interior is processed junk. I stick to the outer ring of meat, dairy, eggs, fruits, and veggies.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    You can eat healthy for cheap. My average meal at home is $1 per serving. Eating out and trying to be healthy is a different problem. Restaurants are going to sell what people want to eat. People like the taste of junk food and they also want their money's worth, so restaurants are going to load it with fat, salt, and everything else because people are buying it.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    From farm to table, fresh and healthy food takes a lot more to keep it from spoiling-- think of how berries need to be washed, picked, packaged, then transported in a refrigerated truck, then handled carefully so they don't bruise, and then finally are put into the produce aisle-- all within a day or so, in order for them not to spoil.

On the other hand, a box of cereal can sit a warehouse or truck for days, weeks months-- it's a lot cheaper to produce and package these products.

Sucks, but that's the way it goes :( It doesn't help that the government supports corn subsidies too.

BUT, take into account all the health care costs you will save down the line if you eat healthfully, not to mention the worth of you feeling better about yourself and being happier and healthier.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    I find eating healthy far less expensive than when I used to eat junk. Simple carbs merely bring on more cravings and the cycle continues so there goes the money wasted on it as well.

Not sure what types of foods you're buying but packaged foods are pricey so cooking at home, growing your own veggies, using your local farmers markets, Community Gardens in your area, the sky is the limit.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    But also-- eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive! You can get frozen vegetables for cheap, and buy fish, chicken, etc in bulk and freeze the extra. Costco is awesome for this-- you can get 2 lbs of strawberries there for like, $6.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    I'm with you on that!

IMHO, the vast majority of Americans don't care what they're shoving into their faces. They want the fat-laden, salt-saturated, processed crap that passes as food these days. They want the convenience. (Granted, I still have some of that same food lurking in my cupboards. But it's slowly being consumed, mostly by hubby, and replaced with more real food choices.) Food manufacturers respond to that want by making more. When a relatively small group of people start requesting healthier choices, manufacturers have to develop new recipes and implement separate "processing" areas, which costs them more money. Being a profit-driven company, they have to pass that extra expenditure on to us. Thus the higher price for reduced fat/no sodium/whole grain/organic options. The larger the second group becomes, the more those items will become the norm and prices "should" start to switch in our favor. But we've got a long way to go! As health conscious individuals, we need to push that along faster by informing our friends and family about what we've learned. We need to get involved to bring about that change. Write letters, start petitions, force the government to do something about the obesity issue, instead of just talking about what a travesty it is.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Oooh!! Don't get me started on this subject!!!!! LOL

I have to agree. At the same time I have found very healthy and budget friendly options. And most the time I check out the Sunday ad for their weekly specials and sales and adjust accordingly. Frozen veggies 10/$10 - I grab them up!
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415

BUT, take into account all the health care costs you will save down the line if you eat healthfully, not to mention the worth of you feeling better about yourself and being happier and healthier.

Good thinking!! This is very true!!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Mass production of junk food (cost of making cheap synthetic crap)

vs.

Quality, real foods (not processed, natural, living) foods

And supply and demand :flowerforyou:

You can get healthy without busting your wallet. Shop smart, plan all your meals, healthy snacks, no crap, no processed frozen dinners, etc... (You know the words, now sing the song) :flowerforyou:
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Fresh fruits and vegetables can be much cheaper if you buy them directly from independent farmers. We belong to a CSA that gives us a share of the farm through the summer. We get 1/12 of the produce each week. It's a big basket of vegetables (and this summer he's adding fruits, melons and berries) for about $33 which is plenty for our family of three. Whatever we can't use I cook and freeze for winter. Everything he grows is from heirloom varieties you pay a fortune for at Whole Foods and it's much fresher. It's also all grown organically. I love to put money in this man's pocket because he's doing a great job of providing for my family.

Do a google search for CSA's in your area and see what you can find. If you happen to live in the north Atlanta suburbs send me a message, I'll hook you up. :)
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,283 Member
    Ditto the comment about Costco. Their prices for fruit, veggies, and chicken breasts are great. When I purchase more than we can eat before it goes bad, I freeze it. It's a great way to have strawberries and blueberries when they're out of season.
  • HunnieM
    thank you for the info!
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Watch the movie Food Inc. It's an eye opener and they tackle this exact subject. This movie really changed quite a few things about how I eat, and what foods I eat. Well worth checking out.
  • HunnieM
    will try to find the movie and watch it! =)
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    I agree with everything you said that is why I have my own little garden growing tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, strawberries, etc. Very much worth it and so much yummier!!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    I haven't found it to be the case that healthy food is more expensive than junk.
    I spend less money when I eat a whole foods diet.
This discussion has been closed.