Will i lose weight if i eat carbs????

Options
Hi folks been to see Pt and really plugging away at it ive realised its going to be hard and have got to be realistic im not going to be thin over night ............My qusetion is im following this Calorie counting in Mfp will i really lose weight if i eat carbs??
My Pt has told me to avoid carbs but i find this almost impossible

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Yes you will lose weight if you eat carbs, everything in moderation. I eat carbs and I think I've done well so far in the last 14 months.
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    yeah i agree, maybe dont have loads and loads of carbs that would be not great,but just stay within your daily goal and you should see a loss : )
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    I eat carbs. I still eat Taco Bell and the occasional pizza slice even, and I've lost 23 pounds in 3 months.
  • luanwarren37
    Options
    Wow thats fantastic !!! well done !!!
  • LilyBugsMommy
    LilyBugsMommy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've found carbs to be fine too, as long as within caloric goals. Of course that means you are eating fewer carbs. Does your PT know you are on a calorie limited diet? "Cut out carbs" sounds like a 'blanket instruction' that a PT might give someone for reducing their calories.
  • squintyme
    squintyme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Of course you can, just eat complex carbs. Like brown rice, wholewheat bread and pasta.

Don't eat anything in excess and you will be fine.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Carbs can be great fuel for your body. Though you may find, as I have, that making good choices about what types of carbs to eat makes a big difference in how you feel. Having some fruit and whole grains can help you get some good nutrients and provide fuel if you exercise. It's definitely better to limit some types of carbs though, such as refined sugars, since they digest quickly and can leave you feeling more hungry and with cravings for more.

I've always been a carb lover but now keep my diet at a moderate level of carbs. I try to stay around or even under 200g of carbs per day. I've definitely grown more aware of how my body processes them and can tell if I've eaten too many all at once.

So, unless your doctor has given you a special diet due to insulin resistance or some other concern, I wouldn't worry about eating carbs in moderation. You can definitely lose weight while doing so.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    What they said, but yeah, the less processed the carb the better.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Yes. Moderation is Key to everything. I would be one angry witch if I didn't have my carb fix.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,

When I began this journey almost five years ago, my doctor sent me to a dietician. She told me three things:
    1. Watch portion sizes (and I did buy a kitchen scale at this point).
    2. Write down everything you eat (KEY to success).
    3. Try to keep your "carbs" to 15 or fewer a day. 15 grams of carbohydrate = 1 "carb."

Well, I thought, "She's a quack. This will NEVER work."

Five years, and 60 pounds later, she proved me wrong.

I agree -- and I have changed the foods I buy. Try to use whole grain breads, and get your carbs from fruits and vegetables when possible.

It's a LIFEstyle change.....everything in moderation. Eat in a healthy way that will allow you to continue to do so your entire life. That being said, you can have a day (or even a weekend if there is a special event) now and then when you don't monitor every bite. Just keep exercising and get back to eating healthy the following day.

Kaye
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    yes.

I haven't worried about carbs once since starting on MFP. With a low daily calorie goal, it's difficult to fit in a lot of carbs anyway.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy. Higher protein will help you feel more satisfied and full for longer, but carbs are needed for your body as well. I have eaten carbs the whole time I was losing weight. Much more than 15g a day. I would have whole grain pasta, veggies, fruit, cereal, and the like. The key is go high fiber, as high as you can find. That generally means less processed and closer to what food it actually like when growing.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    3. Try to keep your "carbs" to 15 or fewer a day. 15 grams of carbohydrate = 1 "carb."
    So they wanted you to keep under 225 grams of carbs a day? Good I'm on track with that ;)
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    So they wanted you to keep under 225 grams of carbs a day? Good I'm on track with that ;)

huh? 15g? that's nothing :s
  • dianam1973
    Options
    If you are exercising you need carbs for fuel....otherwise you will feel sluggish! Carbs are not th enemy!! Choose whole grains, fruits, and brown rice. And all in portion. Good luck! It's always confused me why people still recommend no carbs. They are essential to our diets!!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do better with my carb intake at 100g or less per day.
    Veggies, fruits, Greek yogurt, flaxseed make up the most of my carbs.

I just eliminated grains from my diet as I'm constantly bingeing when I include them in my diet.
    I don't eat processed foods. That helps.

Experiment and find what works for YOU.
    We are not all the same and can tolerate different levels and types of carbs in our diets.

Good Luck!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!!! And I'm living proof that it can work (that, and a LOT of walking).
    Kaye
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    With regards to the carb thing, the first phase of Atkins recommends fewer than 20 carbs a day (I believe), and most low-carb diets recommend starting within that 20-30 range.

If you are on a low-carb diet, eating carbs will make you gain weight.
    If you are on any other diet, they won't.

But as with everything, eat your good carbs and skip the bad ones. Cutting sugar helps.

:)
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Hi folks been to see Pt and really plugging away at it ive realised its going to be hard and have got to be realistic im not going to be thin over night ............My qusetion is im following this Calorie counting in Mfp will i really lose weight if i eat carbs??
    My Pt has told me to avoid carbs but i find this almost impossible

You will lose weight if you eat nothing but twinkies, as long as you are in a calorie deficit. The question you need to ask is, what do I need to eat to be at my optimal health. Sugar and simple carbs will not get you there.