<25% body fat

Options
I believe I read somewhere ..once you are under 25% body fat it's harder to lose the weight and you should only have a caloric deficit of 250 a day (1/2 lb per week). Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this!

Replies

• FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Generally, the more you lose the harder it becomes to lose. Mathematically, you should probably only try to lose 1/2 a pound a week after you reach a certain weight. If you try to lose at a faster rate you'll most likely have to take in less than the suggested net 1200 per day.
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    I am at 20.5% and I work out a lot. I know that if I eat all the calories I burn, it is extremely difficult to lose any weight. It's not that I have that much left to lose, I doN'T want to be thin, nor skinny.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your body actually tried to defend its fat stores when you get down to a "lean" weight. It would rather burn off muscle (fat is there in case of famine and when the stores get low it will hold onto it). In fact, the best way to burn off fat when you are at a healthy weight is really weight and resistance training. Increasing lean muscle mass will increase your metabolism and you will burn more fat through normal activity and even while sleeping. And you need to eat well and eat plenty when exercising. You can even stall weight loss if you don't.

But yes, .5lb a week is the best way to do it so you won't end up consuming too few calories. I used this goal and saw loss in .2-.4 increments (even dropped 2lbs after switching over to maintenance calories).

If you are doing just cardio on a calorie restriction you will lose more muscle than fat.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    The less you have to lose, easier it is to actually burn lean mass instead of fat. Slowly but surely is the way to go. 1/2 is ok.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html

The law of unintended consequences

Your body is an amazing feedback system aimed at balance and survival. Humans are at the top of the food chain because they are able to adapt to their environment. Every action produces a reaction. Every change in its environment triggers a survival response. It's important to keep that in mind when you plan your fitness program. If you treat your body as an enemy to be conquered, you'll produce unintended results.

For example, if you severely cut off the supply of food to your body, it will defend itself by slowing down its metabolism to survive starvation. The body will shed muscle mass the same way that you would throw cargo from a plane that was low on fuel, and it will reduce its thyroid activity to conserve energy. The body will also actually defend its fat stores. In anorexia, muscle loss can be so profound that fat as a percentage of body weight actually rises. Extreme carbohydrate restriction also causes muscle loss, dehydration, and slower metabolism, which is why even successful Atkins dieters can have a significant rebound in weight after they stop the diet (don't worry – the advice on this site will prevent that from happening).

As another example, if you put your body under stress through overexertion and lack of sleep, it will respond by slowing down, reducing muscle growth, and increasing your appetite for junk food, carbohydrates and fat. If you feed your body excessive amounts of sugar and quickly digested carbohydrates, and it will shut off its ability to burn fat until those sugars are taken out of the bloodstream.

This website will show you how to work with your body to quickly produce the changes you want. In order to do that, you need to take actions that push your body to adapt – to build strength, burn fat, and increase fitness. You need a training program, not an exercise routine. You need a nutrition plan, not a diet. You need a challenge, not a few good habits you usually try to follow except when you don't.
    Setting the right goal

John Dewey once said that a problem well-stated is half-solved. If you want to reach your goal, you have to define it correctly. See, a lot of people say “I want to lose weight.” Well, if losing weight is your goal, go on a no-carb diet. You'll lose a lot of weight – some of it will be fat, a lot of it will be water, and a dangerous amount will be muscle tissue. You'll lose weight quickly, but you'll slow your metabolism and gain fat more quickly once you go off the diet. Trust me on this. I've been there, done that.

The problem is that you've set the wrong goal. If you want to look better, have more energy and enjoy better health, the goal is not simply to “lose weight.” The goal is to improve your fitness level and body composition. That means losing fat, improving your aerobic capacity, training your strength and defending your muscle tissue. You can't do that with a no-carb diet. You will do it using the approach you'll learn on this website. Trust me on this one too. I know what it's like to feel fat, tired and helplessly out of shape. The whole point of this site is to help others avoid that, by sharing lessons that I had to learn the hard way.

I like putting this out there. The site has great info.