Worn out knees

Options
I think my knees are plain worn out! They are killing me! The more I work out, the more they hurt.

Any suggestions?

I'm currently taking Glucosamine and Mega fishoils anything else that could help? I don't want to wreck my knees OR stop my workouts.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You might just try laying off of the high impact activities or those that particularly hurt your knees for a little while. If you keep doing what you're doing, they'll never get better. Think of professional athletes that are put on the disabled list when they get injured. There's a good reason for it. Exchange them for workouts which are low impact (cycling, elliptical, etc.).

If they don't improve, I'd definitely go see your primary care physician and perhaps get a referral to an orthopedist who can help you diagnose why they are hurting hopefully before any permanent damage is done.
  • vartanfan71
    vartanfan71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    lots of stretching and low inpact exercise. I take 4 capsules(1000mg each) of fish oil daily.
  • aebeman
    aebeman Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with the PP about seeing a physician. I just went to my ortho for my knees (grindy) and will be doing physical therapy three times a week for the next two months to strengthen the surrounding muscles and get my knee cap back on track.

There may be an easy fix other than surgery for your pain. I refuse to be cut on!

Good luck!
  • Laurbug926
    Options
    I'm no expert but..
    When was the last time you bought yourself new running shoes? I had that same problem and got a new pair to replace the old ones I'd had for a few years, and it greatly reduced my pain. I work on my feet all day, so foot/knee/back pain is something I just live with but a new pair of shoes catered towards the way you walk can really help. Go to a running store where they can watch the way that you run and then suggest a shoe for you based upon that.

Also, you might try lower impact excercises?
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Alternate ice and heat for 20 minutes each after you workout. It has helped with knee pain in the past for me.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but..
    When was the last time you bought yourself new running shoes? I had that same problem and got a new pair to replace the old ones I'd had for a few years, and it greatly reduced my pain. I work on my feet all day, so foot/knee/back pain is something I just live with but a new pair of shoes catered towards the way you walk can really help. Go to a running store where they can watch the way that you run and then suggest a shoe for you based upon that.

Also, you might try lower impact excercises?

You bring up a great point...I was wearing my reebok tone ups (whatever they are called). I'll make sure to have my regular running shoes from now on. I didn't even realize that could be it....
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    If you're working out a lot - and daily, you may just be experiencing tight muscles. You have a ton of muscles that group together in your hips and butt -- and when i get knots of muscles in my butt and when my hips and IT bands tighten up, my knees and lower back hurt -- this happens to me often because I work out 2 hours a day 7 days a week. BUT it is not anything you need to go to a dr for (if that is in fact your problem). I foam roll religiously. My trainers turned me on to it and it works wonders! (I'm surprised no one on here has mentioned it to you yet)

http://www.power-systems.com/p-2972-premium-eva-foam-roller.aspx

I use this one. It's like a deep tissue massage you can do on your own. You can look up videos on youtube that show you how to do different body parts, but you can basically roll out any of your muscles. All of the trainers at my gym swear by it, as do I! It's inexpensive and it works. But don't get a cheap roller, like at wal-mart or something - they aren't hard enough and won't work.