My Current Favorite Meatless Monday dish is....

Options
....Black Bean Tacos! I simply rinse and drain a can of black beans, add them to a pan with a packet of reduced sodium taco seasoning and 1/2 cup of water (the packet calls for 3/4 cup but I find that's too much). Simmer until the liquid is aborbed. I do not miss the ground meat at all in this dish! I use warmed crunchy taco shells(2 have 100 calories) and top with salsa, lettuce, a little low fat cheese, sometimes diced avacado. Oh so good! Black Beans are FAT FREE and HIGH in FIBER! You could use fresh corn tortillas if you prefer for an even lower calorie count (2 have 80 calories).

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great idea!!!
  • JaneOAnderson
    JaneOAnderson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We eat this same type thing about once a week at our house. Oftentimes I mix a bag of veggie crumbles in and my kids think it's ground beef!
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I add frozen corn and fresh green and red peppers when I make these...LOVE THEM! I don't use taco seasoning either, just throw some hot sauce on them while they cook...
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh how I've mixed Mexican food. Thanks!
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    mmmm this is the best!! lowfat plain yogurt in place of sour cream too!
  • mcunningham3
    Options
    Thanks,
    I am a vegetarian who eats way too many carbs...this is going to be great i have never has black beans cant wait to try them
  • nanny_mc
    nanny_mc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump for trying later
  • Redheadedsunshine
    Redheadedsunshine Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    mmmm tacos! good idea!
  • jtfive
    jtfive Posts: 7
    Options
    sounds like dinner, tonight. Thanks for the ideas