Mexican Food Yum-O

Options
MochaMixAZ
MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
I adore Mexican food. Here’s my healthy Mexican swap that hits all my favorites parts about the fare and has me saying Ole! Not only is it healthy, it’s FAST!

1. Take 2 small corn tortillas and pierce each a couple times with a fork. Spritz with Pam or a very light spray of olive oil, pop into the toaster oven and toast until crunchy. It takes me about 1 cycle set on dark toast. The piercing helps the tortilla not puff up and become awkward to work with. (120 calories for both)

2. Rinse a can of pinto beans to get rid of extra salt. Portion out ½ cup. Mash with a splash of chicken stock or water. I like to use my magic bullet for this and it makes it creamy. Season with your favorites – I choose onion powder, garlic, cayenne, and a little chili powder. (103 calories)

3. Optional – add shredded chicken if you need more bulk of have cals to spare

4. Shred some crunchy iceberg lettuce and cube tomatoes.

5. Build a delicious tostada: crispy tortilla, slathered with beans, optional chicken, piled high with veggies.

6. Top with salsa. Or, if you’d like, a ¼ of cheddar cheese (133 calories) or 2 Tbsp low-fat sour cream (40 calories).

Enjoy!!!! I make this for a snack frequently, and it’s high in fiber and the corn is a whole grain – so for about 250 calories I get a filling treat that feels like an indulgence.

Replies

• redxmasqueen
    Options
    Good call!!! Sounds delicious!!!
  • Sandikh
    Sandikh Posts: 116
    Options
    Yay....! I love mexican food....Thanks for sharing..!
  • paulaercksn
    paulaercksn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love the corn tortilla idea. My husband fries his in olive oil, but I know it adds quite a bit of cals and fat. So I'll have to try the toaster oven idea! I can even do this at work!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I bake my corn tortillas in the oven at 400 degrees for 5 minutes after cutting them into chip shape and use them instead of tortilla chips. I never thought about tostadas. This is great!
  • dfiesler
    dfiesler Posts: 9
    Options
    Sounds good, adding the ingredients to my shopping list... Now I need a low cal Margarita !!

Dusty :- )
  • nanny_mc
    nanny_mc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sharaleeb
    sharaleeb Posts: 32
    Options
    Yum!! Can't wait to try it! We recently made the exploding chicken toquitos (from Hungry Girl) and they were fab! Similar thing with spraying and baking the tortillas (only after you've rolled it into a toquito!) Thanks for the idea of tostadas!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, adding the ingredients to my shopping list... Now I need a low cal Margarita !!

I got ya covered on that, too!!! Well, I can't take credit for this recipe, it's the Skinny Girl's:

The Skinnygirl™ Margarita
    The margarita you love, only 100 calories.

Makes one serving

2 oz of Clear Premium Tequila (count 1, 2 while you pour, no need for measuring)
    Tiny splash of Orange Liquor
    Juice of 4 Fresh Lime Wedges

To serve on the rocks, combine all ingredients over a glass of ice and garnish with a lime wedge
  • dfiesler
    dfiesler Posts: 9
    Options

I got ya covered on that, too!!! Well, I can't take credit for this recipe, it's the Skinny Girl's:

The Skinnygirl™ Margarita
    The margarita you love, only 100 calories.

Makes one serving

2 oz of Clear Premium Tequila (count 1, 2 while you pour, no need for measuring)
    Tiny splash of Orange Liquor
    Juice of 4 Fresh Lime Wedges

To serve on the rocks, combine all ingredients over a glass of ice and garnish with a lime wedge

Thanks I will give it a try !!

• skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Oh good god, I love mexican and that sounds like Taco Bell's goodness.