A half pound a day for 54 days

Options
As of Tuesday evening, from the time I joined MFP I was still on a pound-every-2-days pace.

If a pound is about 3500 calories, this means a deficit of 1750 calories per day. I'm netting very close to my target (1930) each day. Does this mean somehow that I'd trained my BMR to be 3680? Or is there something else at play here? I hear people talk about "water weight" and how it goes first and fastest, but what is that and what does that even mean (and is it a veritable explanation of what's happening)?

Either way, I'm enjoying the progress. It'd be nice if I could keep that pace the whole time ... I'd be at my goal weight in late July! :smile:

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    yep, your metabolic rate went up, I did the same beating the numbers and dropping 1.5-1.6/wk as opposed to 1 as per what the numbers predicted and I do so consistently.
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    So it's up because I was heavier? Or it's up because I'm active now?
  • teasha43
    teasha43 Posts: 101
    Options
    gee...u are fortunate:) congrats! wish I were in your shoes on that one!!
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but I still have over 60 pounds to lose, so I'm still quite a ways from goal.
  • emadigan
    emadigan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When you are heavier, it takes more calories to run your body's natural processes and it takes more calories to exercise, which results in faster weight loss. Its pretty much awesome, but unfortunately it will slow down as you get closer to your goal.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    The more you weigh, the faster the weight will come off. Yes, normally people lose anywhere from 5-10 pounds their first week of dieting (because of the initial and sudden change in caloric intake). Those first few pounds do come from water weight, but 47 pounds?? No. You're losing "real" weight here. :) Don't worry about it. I looked at your food diary, and you're surely eating enough. When you're bigger the "1-2 pounds a week" rule doesn't apply. It'll come off in chunks of 4-6, and you can't do anything about it. (Though, why would you? Lol)

Anyways, your weight loss WILL slow down eventually. When I first started out I was losing just as fast... Now I'm lucky for a half a pound every two weeks!!

EDIT: My God, I made a lot of grammatical errors. Sorry about that. I just got done with my workout for the day; I'm a little exercise-high.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Anyways, your weight loss WILL slow down eventually. When I first started out I was losing just as fast... Now I'm lucky for a half a pound every two weeks!!

EDIT: My God, I made a lot of grammatical errors. Sorry about that. I just got done with my workout for the day; I'm a little exercise-high.
    read this link it will help you accelerate that. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/210894-feed-to-shed-fat
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    definitely not all water weight...it is possible that you are underestimating how many calories you are burning and most likely your metabolism went up...have you checked your % of body fat? it may be lower than you think with the results you are having.