What does SIZE mean?

Options
Hi, all,

I've wondered this my whole life: What do women mean when they say "I'm a size 6" or whatever size?

Is that a dress size? A pant size? Some sort of standard measurement?

It just seems so arbitrary. At store #1, I wear size 18 pants. At store #2 it's size 22. At store #3, even the 22s are tight. And I have NO idea what my dress size is. I don't really buy dresses, but, even if I did, those depend on the brand and cut, as well.

So, help me out here...what does SIZE mean?

Thx!!!

Replies

• MeganH81
    MeganH81 Posts: 38
    Options
    Your average clothing size... It does vary though.
    I wear a size 4 in Old Navy and a size 4 in Abercombie are waaay too tight.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Now that you mention it... I have no idea. Lol. Don't forget that a lot of clothes replace number sizes with 'S,M,L,XL' now too...I think when your state your size like that, you're supposed to be referring your dress size. Yet, whenever I talk about sizes, I say 12... because that's the smallest pant size I fit into. :glasses:
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Well not all designers cut their clothes the same way. And it's bums me as well. I have some pants that are 20's that really are too big...gapping in the waist and the thighs have lots of room, and a few 18's fit really nice. Yet there are some 18's from Lane Giant I couldn't fit. For me I'll, find a brand that I like and stick with it. Otherwise I would suggest you keep a tally in our head of what you can fit where.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    It changes generationally.

My mother was trim woman in her early years. In 1970 she said she wore a size 12. HA! She was 120 pounds and 5 foot 6. Yea. Size 12 now is NOT that size.

ETA she is still trim. She works out and eats right and is in a size 8/10 :-)
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    That's a very good question hahaha. I think when people aren't specifying, they are PROBABLY referring to dress size (if they are a woman, hehe) :laugh: which even then is so varied, I hear you! I just look for what size MOST of my dresses are... basically, I find the average haha
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It changes generationally.

My mother was trim woman in her early years. In 1970 she said she wore a size 12. HA! She was 120 pounds and 5 foot 6. Yea. Size 12 now is NOT that size.

ETA she is still trim. She works out and eats right and is in a size 8/10 :-)

AMAZING!! :)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I always buy my jeans and stuff from the same place, so when I say I'm a size 8, I mean I'm a size 8 in American Eagle jeans...but sometimes a 10 or even 12 for dresses (damn boobs!)
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you look in your closet and one size appears more often then others, then that's your size.

Some people think that size is not important but it is very important if you are not paying attention to other things like the scale, a mirror or measuring tape. This is how people let their weight get out of hand.

For instance, say you went shopping at your favorite store and now you have to buy a size 16 instead of a size 14 that you usually buy. Well you should be concerned if you haven't been watching the aforementioned things.
  • Tacosmamma
    Tacosmamma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I shop at new york and company and I am a size 8 and in dresses from dress barn, i am a size 8 also. I have also bought pants from other stores and I am also a size 8. In the modeling indusrty that would be considered plus size models . lol Go Figure...
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I recently lost 50 lbs and needed all brand new clothes, my new size varied from 8 to 12 depending on the store in pants. I take the smallest number LOL So I'm an 8
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I was pretty sure the "I'm a size *whatever*." thing was arbitrary. That seems to be the general consensus. Thx, all! :D
  • RoyaDee
    RoyaDee Posts: 43
    Options
    Basically, there's been some major vanity sizing going on lately. Jeans at places like Old Navy & Gap (owned by the same company, I'm pretty sure) vanity size so that if you're a 12, your jean size will read 10 or 8. It supposedly makes women feel better about themselves and more likely to buy. But most true jean companies (where selling jeans is their bread and butter) don't vanity size. Think Se7en jeans, Citizens of Humanity, J Brand, etc. So if you want to know your true size, try on those jeans. Or measure yourself and compare on this chart:

24zg8ww.jpg

(I got the chart from Asos. To get US size, subtract four from UK size. It seems to correspond with the measurements of the jean companies mentioned above.)
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    It means nothing nowadays, it changes with store/brand/cut. A lot of places are doing vanity sizing too. Lately I've notice I can't even trust sizes that measure in inches/length anymore.
  • mmiley1111
    mmiley1111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think it is crazy !!! I am a size 10 in pants but have to buy a size 14 in a dress. Yesterday I tryed on a dress and had to try on a 18!! Of course I didn't buy it. I just think the sizes vary also on where in the bolt of fabric where they cut the pattern ... :laugh:
    Options
    Basically, there's been some major vanity sizing going on lately. Jeans at places like Old Navy & Gap (owned by the same company, I'm pretty sure) vanity size so that if you're a 12, your jean size will read 10 or 8. It supposedly makes women feel better about themselves and more likely to buy. But most true jean companies (where selling jeans is their bread and butter) don't vanity size. Think Se7en jeans, Citizens of Humanity, J Brand, etc. So if you want to know your true size, try on those jeans. Or measure yourself and compare on this chart:

24zg8ww.jpg

(I got the chart from Asos. To get US size, subtract four from UK size. It seems to correspond with the measurements of the jean companies mentioned above.)

I know all about vanity sizing, but that chart doesn't seem right. A 22 inch waist is a size 4? O_o
  • RoyaDee
    Options

24zg8ww.jpg

I know all about vanity sizing, but that chart doesn't seem right. A 22 inch waist is a size 4? O_o

These are UK sizes. Subtract 4 to get your real size. Therefore, a UK 4 is a US 0.
    Options

24zg8ww.jpg

These are UK sizes. Subtract 4 to get your real size. Therefore, a UK 4 is a US 0.

So is 4 their smallest size?
  • RoyaDee
    Options

24zg8ww.jpg

So is 4 their smallest size?

As far as I can tell. They might have smaller sizes in their petites section.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I think that really it is all a bunch of crap because I have jeans from the same maker, same cut/style/length that fit differently. I have a pair of lucky brand Jeans that I call my "sisterhood of the traveling pants" jeans because they are a size 28/6 and they fit me beautifully while I was in an 8/10 in every other jean. I think those may have been labeled wrong:tongue: but they did feel good to slip on. I am about 5lbs away from fitting them again and I can't wait.
  • meganjbennett
    Options
    I always find this frustrating! Even at my thinnest (128 lbs at almost 5'10") I've never been less than a size 6 or 8. If I got lower, it seemed that everything was just too short or too tight in the shoulders. And now I have been a size 16 but my weight has gone up 25 lbs and I'm still a 16. A LOT of leeway in that size I guess. :laugh: I fell great when I'm less than a 12, so that's what I aim for, but I know that a 12 for someone else might be their "fat" clothes. Makes no sense. :noway: