I cant eat all the calories alotted for me!

So i definately can get in the 1200 calories im allowed to have but when i exercise it says i have to eat that many more calories. I cant always eat that amount and at the end of the day when i log my calories and exercise it says im eating too less of calories and putting myself in starvation mode. But I feel full and it says i might not lose weight since im not having all the calories. Im lost on what to do cause i wanna lose the weight but i cant intake all those calories.

Replies

• So i definately can get in the 1200 calories im allowed to have but when i exercise it says i have to eat that many more calories. I cant always eat that amount and at the end of the day when i log my calories and exercise it says im eating too less of calories and putting myself in starvation mode. But I feel full and it says i might not lose weight since im not having all the calories. Im lost on what to do cause i wanna lose the weight but i cant intake all those calories.
  • AprilVal
    AprilVal Posts: 940 Member
    So i definately can get in the 1200 calories im allowed to have but when i exercise it says i have to eat that many more calories. I cant always eat that amount and at the end of the day when i log my calories and exercise it says im eating too less of calories and putting myself in starvation mode. But I feel full and it says i might not lose weight since im not having all the calories. Im lost on what to do cause i wanna lose the weight but i cant intake all those calories.

After all my exercising yesterday, I was allotted 1000 more calories for the day and I didn't eat them all. I don't think you will go into starvation as long as you are full when you are doing eating. Last night I was full half way through dinner but I finished eating because I knew it has to last me until this morning,. I dont feel too bad and its 11 am. I ate at 10 am but I made sure I stayed awake for atleast 2 hours. I know you can lose the weight you are trying to lose. Don't get discouraged. Do what you can and see what happens. :)

Ttyl,
    April :flowerforyou:
  • If you're not hungry, then don't eat.

Personally, I don't think this so-called 'starvation mode' is worth worrying about every day - unless you consistently eat way less than 1200 calories, every day, for several days. Bottom line to weight loss: the calories/energy your body burns must be more than what you consume. You could even look at calories consumed from week to week. In the end, whatever you don't "use" (be it exercise or simple bodily functions) will be stored - the F word.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    I agree with Furpaws to an extent in that if I am under my calories one day or another I don't worry about it. However, I do find it easy to make up on them. If I'm way low in the evenings, I'll just have a couple handfuls of peanuts. Lots of calories, protien, fiber and other good stuff. Only takes a couple handfuls of peanuts to get a meals worth of calories.
  • Thanks for the replys but I know that if i dont maintain at least 1200 calories then the fat will be stored which will make it harder for me to lose weight.....maybe i can try to find a few small items that have quite a few calories. because im afraid that i wont lose the weight if i dont cosume a good portion of those calories. but i mean im burning about 800 calories 3 times a week so i have to eat that just many more. Its tough! and frustrating. I was wondering why i hadnt lost much weight in the past and I guess now i know. Anyone have any evidence to back me up?
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    I am "earning" approx 3300- 3500 extra calories per week from exercise. No way do I eat all those. I generally keep my calories between 1200- 1400 per day. "Starvation mode" only comes into play if you eat under 1,000- 1,200 calories per day depending on your size, gender, age etc... I orignally set my goals for a loss of a pound per week. Since I have increased the exercise, but not the calorie intake I have been consistently losing 2 pounds per week. Everyones body reacts differently, but so far mine is following the math.........:tongue:
  • I am "earning" approx 3300- 3500 extra calories per week from exercise. No way do I eat all those. I generally keep my calories between 1200- 1400 per day. "Starvation mode" only comes into play if you eat under 1,000- 1,200 calories per day depending on your size, gender, age etc... I orignally set my goals for a loss of a pound per week. Since I have increased the exercise, but not the calorie intake I have been consistently losing 2 pounds per week. Everyones body reacts differently, but so far mine is following the math.........:tongue:

Well in my case im eating the 1200 calories but when im done exercising i have an extra 400 and it tells me that if i dont eat the 400 calories my body will store it as fat and i wont lose the weight. Has anyone followed it pretty directly and actually ate the extra calories they earned and still lost weight?
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    I follow it pretty closely, but I am always hungry, so it's rarely a problem keeping up on them. :smile: Usually it's just a really wierd, busily-unscheduled day when I just can't make it. Weekends and the like.

One thing to remember as Denmother points out is that we are each different. The best thing to do is to try it for a week, doing the best you can and monitor your progress. I had to change my settings after a couple of weeks because I was depriving myself of needed nutrition. Even though I have a desk job, my lifestyle is apparently not so sedentary overall.

Something I tried along the way (and which reinforces the 'we are all different' concept) was to eat 6 small meals per day. I hear lots about this being a better way to lose weight as it keeps the metabolism higher. However, for me, I just started gaining weight. :tongue:

The reason I mention it is that I found it much more difficult to remain near my target calories. It was real easy to go over if I wasn't careful. So, maybe eating more frequently like that might be a way to help you ingest more calories. ...If you need them.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Hi, I've pretty much eaten all I've been allotted for the day exercise included and yes I have lost weight, about half my goal of 55lbs. I don't worry about the starvation mode thing at all. I eat and if there is some leftover that just the way it goes. I know when my body is full. But everyone is different with their own metabolism and you just have to find a way that works for you.Like Razboo I too eat 6 times a day and nothing usually have 9 pm.
  • Thanks for the replys but I know that if i dont maintain at least 1200 calories then the fat will be stored which will make it harder for me to lose weight.....maybe i can try to find a few small items that have quite a few calories. because im afraid that i wont lose the weight if i dont cosume a good portion of those calories. but i mean im burning about 800 calories 3 times a week so i have to eat that just many more. Its tough! and frustrating. I was wondering why i hadnt lost much weight in the past and I guess now i know. Anyone have any evidence to back me up?

i don't know that this is a good idea. Most items that are small but high in calories are the ones we try so hard to stay away from. Maybe, instead, allow yourself to have the little extras, gravy, cream sauce, condiments...again they are things we want to refuse, but they are not the same as having high calorie "junk" type foods. Allow yourself to have a little cake or ice cream for dessert. More satisfying then sitting in the evening eating a cookie, then looking to find you may have had half the bag. Then you feel like crap cause you did that.
    I think you may be worrying too much. everyone is different. As long as you are making healthier choices, and you are comfortable with the amounts you eat, it should be alright.

Recently i started making all my recipes right from scratch. I find i have cut out huge amounts of calories...making it harder for me to reach my goal amount. Technically, i could eat almost double what i am...but i get too full. I just can't handle 5 bowls of homemade chilli, lol

AS for the loosing weight part in the past...you are in the now. Our bodies are constantly changing. Noone knows why "it didn't work before" cause maybe it just wasn't the right method for them at the time. Even now, you will go throught changes. Don't forget that when you start exercising more, your body will take time to build muscle, as you are loosing fat. This may appear as a slow weight loss, or no loss. In my first month of this time around, i lost maybe 5 lbs...this past month, i lost 9, so far. I think now that i have more muscle, i am burning more fat, even when im not trying. There are tuns of things to stress over, if you want to, but if i may advise you...relax a little more, don't worry, and next thing you know, the weight will be falling off like snow melting in the spring...
  • A couple things about starvation mode - first of all, the idea that everyone's bodies just click into starvation mode at an exact point is ludicrous for obvious reasons. It really is a general concept, with a lot of hard-to-define factors. Generally speaking, 500 calories a day is no good. Even then, you will lose weight, but it may happen by your body burning muscle and bone and tissue and your hair falling out. That's not great weight loss. Having one day of 500 calories below your limit isn't going to trigger starvation mode where your body conserves energy (fat) at the expense of muscle, etc.

Also, from my experience (which I recognize is not universal), starvation mode is most commonly triggered when the calories just aren't coming in. That's why I personally don't like to base my "starvation mode point" off of my net calories including daily exercise. Starvation mode happens when your body gets freaked out because not enough is coming in. If you show your body that there is a constant supply of food, I don't think it matters quite as much how great the deficit between what you burn and what you take in. That is of course barring extreme cases like consuming 1000 calories and burning 5000 through exercise.

Hope that helps.

PS - I don't know if that's a current picture or not, but it certainly doesn't look like there's much you want to burn off! :wink:
  • A couple things about starvation mode - first of all, the idea that everyone's bodies just click into starvation mode at an exact point is ludicrous for obvious reasons. It really is a general concept, with a lot of hard-to-define factors. Generally speaking, 500 calories a day is no good. Even then, you will lose weight, but it may happen by your body burning muscle and bone and tissue and your hair falling out. That's not great weight loss. Having one day of 500 calories below your limit isn't going to trigger starvation mode where your body conserves energy (fat) at the expense of muscle, etc.

Also, from my experience (which I recognize is not universal), starvation mode is most commonly triggered when the calories just aren't coming in. That's why I personally don't like to base my "starvation mode point" off of my net calories including daily exercise. Starvation mode happens when your body gets freaked out because not enough is coming in. If you show your body that there is a constant supply of food, I don't think it matters quite as much how great the deficit between what you burn and what you take in. That is of course barring extreme cases like consuming 1000 calories and burning 5000 through exercise.

Hope that helps.

PS - I don't know if that's a current picture or not, but it certainly doesn't look like there's much you want to burn off! :wink:

Why thank you.....Im just trying to lose the last ten lbs. ive already lost 16lbs. But i feel that i have reached a plateau because i have been stuck at 129/130 for two weeks now but it feels longer.