Kind of a Gross Question...

Options
I have been running 3+ miles a day for the past two weeks or so. I noticed that my toenail on both of my second toes are very sore and the one seems like it might be lifting up (maybe to fall off?). I read a little bit about this online and found out that this is caused by a blister that forms under the toenail and the toenail eventually falls off. Has anyone else had this happen to them and what (if anything) can be done to remedy it?

Replies

• FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Options
    I have been running 3+ miles a day for the past two weeks or so. I noticed that my toenail on both of my second toes are very sore and the one seems like it might be lifting up (maybe to fall off?). I read a little bit about this online and found out that this is caused by a blister that forms under the toenail and the toenail eventually falls off. Has anyone else had this happen to them and what (if anything) can be done to remedy it?
  • michiganmamma
    Options
    I had a lose toenail after a 10 mile race last year. First it turned black, then many months later a new one grew underneath and I had to pull it off. I should have pulled it off sooner but didn't. It grossed me out. From what I have heard, it is not uncommon for runners to lose toenails. Are your shoes large enough? I have to buy a half-size bigger since my feet swell so much running. Good luck with your toes and keep on running':smile:
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    GROSS! KIDDING!!! I do the 3 day breast cancer walk (60 miles over 3 days) and I lost 2 toenails last year.....your shoes are too small or they are not tied tight enough or your nails are too long. They say you should wear shoes 1 to 1.5 sizes bigger than you normally wear when you run and for long walks (marathons etc) because your feet swell and just the motion of your nails 'clipping' the toe of your shoe. I would try clipping your nails back AND getting maybe 1/2 size bigger in shoes.
    FYI, in case you didnt know, it doesnt hurt at all..just looks awful...
    Blessings!
    Kathey