Does your exercise annoy others?

Options
Seriously I feel as if I am the happiest I've been in a long time. Not only does exercising and working out pay off by what you see physically but there are just as many benefits mentally. My head is clearer, I am more positive, I think I have a better outlook on things....and the list could go on.

That being said I find there are people in my life who seem annoyed by my excitement about exercising. Don't you find that when you love to do something, you like to talk about it too? I don't go on and on about it, just will say things like, "Gee I ran my fastest 5k today" or "Wow I can do more pushups than I could do a month ago."

I guess the disappointment I am having about some people's reactions are overshadowing my newfound confidence and happiness... tell me I shouldn't give this a moment's worry PLEASE!!

Replies

• 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    maybe it is not so much annoying as they may be jealous?!?!
  • c4t2001
    c4t2001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Read 'Get off your *kitten* and Lose Weight' by Steve Miller. Sounds horrendous but it's a good read. He says that some people feel inadequate themselves when confronted by someone with the willpower and motivation to change their life around. Don't listen - feel sorry for these people as they are struggling with their own demons. I chat on ALL the time about my exercise and must be very boring but hey - does it for me. If I had spent this much attention on myself before now I wouldn't have put on so much weight :-)
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    There are always negitave people out there. Dont dwell on them. Focus on what your doing and enjoying. I know it seems like they are trying to bring you down, but most are just jealous that you have the will power. Just let it go in one ear and out the other.
  • ShiloughCoy
    Options
    Don't let other people bother you!! But, this might encourage you to become friends with other like-minded people who enjoy exercise and talking about goals and accomplishments , too :)
  • thogue29
    thogue29 Posts: 20
    Options
    Keep up the great work! You remind them of what they are not doing! Stay focused!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    No matter what your passion... exercise, photography, the opposite sex... it's only natural to talk about what makes you happy, motivated, and confident! Don't let others get you down, only YOU can control the way they make you feel... Talk about whatever you want!!! Exercising is a sore subject FOR MOST and I believe the reason is because it's not as common as some would think.. obviously when one of the biggest "killers" in America is diet and/or weight related illnesses!! Be happy you are on the right track and you are doing great!! I'm up for exercise convo anytime!! :wink:
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Don't let other people bother you!! But, this might encourage you to become friends with other like-minded people who enjoy exercise and talking about goals and accomplishments , too :)

Ditto!! I met 3 of my best friends in the gym!! We communicate all day long, text, call.. whatever and we always bring up exercise at some point and not one of us has an annoying thought.. Not on my end anyway.. LOL
  • mad24K
    mad24K Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree that negative comments or reactions are mostly due to jealousy or their own disappointments about lack of motivation. I've even gotten vibes from my own mother, whos a total gym nut but startting to get a little older. Its a little disheartning considering shes a serious influence on making fitness my future.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    When I first started and I was gung ho about eating right and exercising my husband made the comment that "dieting was all I talked about". Well it kind of took the wind out of my sails but I kept at it. He is used to it now and I probably don't talk about it as much. He has no idea what I do for a workout and I don't try to explain. It's for me, not him anyway.
  • riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    UHHHH you totally shouldnt!!!!

people dont like change

and maybe they dont like that you are doing something that they know that they should be doing themselves!

whatever their reason, let their negativity pass right over you.
  • MisMolly
    MisMolly Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I hate it when my family makes comments about my exercising...I do the biggest loser and zumba games for the wii, and if anyone walks in while I am doing them, they start mimicking my movements and saying things "oh look at me go, feeling the burn now" mocking the whole time. It is not a huge deal, but it burns me a little. On a related note, I hate when I try to make healthy choices or limit my portions (especially when I am out with friends) and others say things like "eww diet food" or "What? You're giving up already?" as if exercising some self control is actually weakness. What I eat doesn't make the evening out less fun for others, so I don't know why it matters to them, but I feel others see my effort to be healthy a being a "stick in the mud" because they aren't willing to make the same choices.
  • alphasigalum
    Options
    I have found that people are mostly jealous. I think having a supportive group is key. Maybe re-evaulate the ones in your life and find more supportive people. Feel free to add me as a friend and brag to me how you are doing! :)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky that my family has been super supportive of me. The only time anyone ever lets on that they're annoyed is when I'm at home visiting my parents and my workouts interfere with their plans. That's understandable, but I don't give myself excuses to take unplanned days off, and I always ask them to join me, which they rarely do, other than for the occasional warm-up or cool-down walk.

I don't talk about working out unless someone asks me about it, and then I'll go on and on about all the benefits, physical and non-physical, that I've gained because of my devotion to exercise. It's not because I'm trying to brag; it's because I want other people to see what they can get out of it if they just make the commitment.

But I do agree that the reason some people get annoyed about it is because it's a reminder to them that you've done something for yourself that, so far, they haven't found the courage to do for themselves.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that have said it is usually jealousy or feelings of inadequacy. 2 of my now best friends I have made thru working out and the person who was my best friend has fallen off the face of the earth, not because I gave up on our friendship but she did and it's because she's jealous, unfortunately.
  • MissKMN
    MissKMN Posts: 119
    Options
    Oh you are soooo not alone. NONE...and I mean NONE of my friends want to hear anything about my lifestyle changes. I have asked them all to join me in working out, or even just some kind of physical activity that is fun. Going to the park, laser tag, anything!

Instead, they all head to the bar and text me about all the beer I am missing out on. Then they tease me about how into it I am. My co-workers are just as bad sometimes. Some of my family is as awful but they won't let me talk, they think they know best about what I should be doing and enjoy inflicting their thoughts about how I should REALLY do weight watchers because the clean eating I'm doing is wrong or not as good.

I have had to turn to here for support because this is going to be a LONG and arduous process!
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes... we ARE annoying when we talk about things over and over that others have no interest in. Sorry. Its much more rewarding to share our exploits with others of similar goals. Spouses, friends and family might rather hear us talk about the weather. Forgive them.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    sometimes my exercise is the only thing I have to talk about, especially since I am home by myself all day long. Unless people want to hear about the color of my walls or how my socks are so thin they have holes in them and I can't afford to replace them at the moment. I live a boring life, although I keep myself entertained, and I can't help it if my getting healthy excites me and bores others to tears!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Oh you are soooo not alone. NONE...and I mean NONE of my friends want to hear anything about my lifestyle changes. I have asked them all to join me in working out, or even just some kind of physical activity that is fun. Going to the park, laser tag, anything!

Instead, they all head to the bar and text me about all the beer I am missing out on. Then they tease me about how into it I am. My co-workers are just as bad sometimes. Some of my family is as awful but they won't let me talk, they think they know best about what I should be doing and enjoy inflicting their thoughts about how I should REALLY do weight watchers because the clean eating I'm doing is wrong or not as good.
    I have had to turn to here for support because this is going to be a LONG and arduous process!

Weight watchers is good, but it isn't right for everyone. I had some success on it before, but I always Plateau at 40 pounds lost on their plan, even when I lower my points. It drives me insane and so I decided to stop that and then did spark people, gained weight on that and then stopped doing anything and stayed the same until now and now I have lost 2 pounds and a lot of inches (I think) so this must be just what I needed to get myself going! The exercise is helping a lot too I think.
  • Matchamatcha
    Matchamatcha Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I'm sure I've bored my friends with it already, but they've been too nice to say anything. I share if I feel particularly proud of myself, but otherwise try to keep it to myself. I'm doing this for me afterall. Also I don't want to sound too smug (because I am indeed smug :p).

What does annoy me though is my mother. We started on myfitnesspal at the same time, and when I mention exercise I've done or cms I've lost, she seems quite disinterested or even dismissive. I think she is jealous. She hasn't really been keeping up with her diary all the time or sticking to her calorie goals. And she hasn't really lost any weight, but I don't think she can expect to lose super fast because she's in her 50s and very sedentary (only walks to her car really). However I'm trying to be encouraging to her.

What really helps me stay motivated though is to come on here, and my MFP friend's statuses and achievements, and come here on the forums :).