Advice on going out to eat so I don't eat all bad food!

Options
Whenever my husband & I go out to eat it seems like we always over do it by ordering the wrong kind of food or just plain over doing it!
Looking for advice on let's say going to our favorite local Mexican Restaurant and still enjoy our meal?

Replies

• labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I always get fajitas (chicken, steak, and/or shrimp, plus onions and peppers) and eat with a fork! I might throw some guacamole and pico de gallo on there, but I steer clear of the tortillas, sourcream, and tortilla chips. Easy peasy!
  • jenlayport
    jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    for Mexican restaurants, try to avoid the big bowl of chips they bring out at the very beginning. If you cant control it, grab a handful, place them on a seperate plate or napkin and only eat those. Also, opt for something lean and grilled like fajitas. Trying eating right off of the skillet instead of using tortillas that you will probably put on sour cream, cheese, etc. And last..avoid the dreaded margarita! I know they are so yummy, but usually at most restuarants they pack 600+ calories for one drink!
  • blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Options
    I always try to see if the restaurant has a menu online, so that I can pick out what I'm going to order BEFORE I get there! Makes it so much easier NOT to make a bad choice!
  • obradovichm
    Options
    Going out is going to pack on the calories, no matter what you do. There are ways to reduce the impact and the number of them, however. On days you are going out, rationalize this "treat" by exercising a little more that day.

When you're at the restaurant, especially Mexican, try to find a dish without the following items:

1. Tortilla (hard, probably, but some places have "bowls")
    2. Sour Cream
    3. Cheese (ask them to go "light" on it or if they have any low-fat)
    4. Do not order the chips. Under any circumstances. Nachos are a huge, huge no-no. To put it in perspective, a bag of Taco Bell nachos (the .99 cent ones) are about 500 calories I think, last time I checked (I could be mistaken).

I also always drink a big glass of water before I order anything as that fills me up so I don't eat as much. I also avoid the desserts. If you want a dessert, go home and make a sugar-free chocolate pudding with the caramel quaker oat mini's mixed in, with a dollop of sugar-free whipped cream. It's only a few hundred calories, as opposed to the sugar-laden, calorie Hell the restaurant's desserts are.

Hope this helps! Remember, you don't have to punish youself. You can still eat out, but be smart about it!
  • crystal10584
    Options
    HECK YEAH! diggin fajitas. always a good bet. the tortillas and stuff will kill any progress. I always hit up their menu and nutritional calculators before ever stepping foot in the place... ie tonight my boyfriend and I are going to chili's. To keep me from messing up, i already know i can have the chicken fajitas with out condiments or tortillas and still stay within my ranges for the day.
  • jenlayport
    jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I always get fajitas (chicken, steak, and/or shrimp, plus onions and peppers) and eat with a fork! I might throw some guacamole and pico de gallo on there, but I steer clear of the tortillas, sourcream, and tortilla chips. Easy peasy!

we think alike ;) Love love love fajitas!!
  • treed4
    treed4 Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi,
    Before my husband and I go out to eat, I go and see if the restaurant has an online menur (most do now adays), and I choose 2 or 3 options that would be more on the healthy side of things. Also, I'm sure to get in a heavy duty exercie the morning of, and then walk the dog in the afternoon. By doing that, you'll earn more caloaires to eat. Good luck!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi the best choice is the steak or chicken fajitas with no tortilla, no sour cream, guacamole, no rice or beans. The chips are very tempting but I'd steer clear of them since they are very fattening. You could also get a taco salad but don't eat the shell. Good luck and hope this helps:)
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I always try to see if the restaurant has a menu online, so that I can pick out what I'm going to order BEFORE I get there! Makes it so much easier NOT to make a bad choice!

I do this as well. I don't go out to eat much to avoid this problem but when I do, i look at everything before hand so I know what to order! Also, set your fork down after every bite. you'll feel fuller faster!
  • wyheel
    wyheel Posts: 7
    Options
    Ask the server to bring you To Go boxes WHEN THEY BRING THE FOOD.
    Before you start to eat, put half of your food in the box for tomorrow's lunch.

It's not about denial... it's about restraint. IMHO, of course.
  • angelarozmyn
    Options
    Going out is going to pack on the calories, no matter what you do.

I would have to disagree...especially if you check the menu out beforehand, you can easily stay within your cals, etc for a meal you would make at home. Staying away from Italian, Mediterranean, American restaurants helps...they tend to make it wayyy more difficult to find a low calorie option - even so, you can find at least a few good options.
  • andreadawn78
    Options
    If you have a smartphone there are several apps now that have restaurant nutrition guides on them plus I love the eat this not that books I also subscribe to their everyday email service. Some things you think are healthy are some of the worst things on restaurant menus. I try to stay out of restaurants and I dont eat fast food but we are going on vacation soon so I am making myself prepared I am not going to undo all my hardwork in one week. :flowerforyou:
  • katiemeridien
    Options
    Celebs always say, refuse the bread immediately... and let your eyes go immediately to the fish part of the menu. That's always the healthiest. You can't go wrong with a lean cut of beef and spinach.

Appetizers and soups KILL and are obviously my favorite. You must forget they exist or replace them with salad and balsamic.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    You really have to DO your homework on Calories, Carbs, SODIUM. You will never get the True totals because each Chef's "hand" is different. My position is that when you go out to eat, you should have "saved" calories, sodium that week in preparation for going out...or be willing to reduce those totals from the upcoming week or remaining days. Eating out is a treat for Me because I cook at home 95% of the time, so I tend to PREPARE/Plan around going out. If you eat out once a week or more it is difficult, just Plan and then eat what you want.
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I downloaded an app on my iphone, its a fast food/restaurant calorie counter. I look up the place we are going eat and then i browse the nutritional values and see what is within reason. I also look online for nutritional values. There are usually 2-3 choices that wont totally wreck your diet, and you still get the enjoyment of eating out.
    If all else fails, and you totally blow your calories, don't stress about it. Limit yourself to a guilt free meal to 1 or 2 times a month, and enjoy yourself. You cant be expected to give up everything for the rest of your life. Its all about keeping it in moderation and limiting yourself from doing it often.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    All great ideas above!

Taco salad is a great choice - order it without the shell so you're not tempted to pick at it.

See if they have some grilled chicken with vegetable choice. If it comes with rice and beans, just make sure you only eat a little.

Stay away from the chips, tortillas, cheese and sour cream! Guac is sort of ok since avocados are good for you but the fat and calories will still add up very quickly - just don't eat a ton of it.
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    @crystal: if you're going to Chili's, you can also do the margarita grilled chicken without too much guilt. That's my FAVORITE.

As for going out... in general, grilled items, beans, and veggies are usually the best call (as long as the beans aren't loaded with pork or lard). You even have to be careful of salads because generally, restaurant salads aren't as healthy as one may hope. Eating out usually adds TONS of sodium, though, no matter where you go. :-/
  • tigger2009
    Options
    Wow! Great ideas! You guys are awesome giving me advice! Especially since I am going to workout after work today with my free personal training session. I will probably be hungry after so I will pass up my usual that I order Mexican and go for the fajitas or something else. Heck, they even have a good salmon dish there. Thanks all!