avoid swordfish?

Options
dmoses
dmoses Posts: 786 Member
I was reading an article in Self in which Jillian Michaels lists grocery items that are fat burners then lists other foods to avoid. One of the foods to avoid is swordfish. Does anyone know why?

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    they're apparently higher in mercury than other types of fish
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    :tongue: The pointy end? :tongue:
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    not only mercury, but every other toxic metal that is out there! They live a long time and grow large so they store up tons of the stuff in their flesh. swordfish has been tested and has been shown to be the absolute worst fish to consume--the news devastated my son...
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    That stinks!

I was raised on swordfish! We had it every couple weeks. I stick to mainly salmon and tilapia now though.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
    Options
    What catniss said..additionally..it's one of the worse fishes to eat since its more destructive to capture for market. I'd say just avoid it altogether :frown:
    Ahh I remember the days when I used to eat a nicely grilled swordfish steak w/out any guilt or worry ..
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Figures. I just made some butt-kicking swordfish on the grill last night. It was AWESOME and juicy. Maybe they will start farm raising them like they do salmon, LOL
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    yea, I just bought a steak from the grocery store yesterday. my first and last, it seems! thanks to everyone for the info!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Ah, who cares JM is not the end all to be all. I LOVE swordfish and she will have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Talipia and swordfish are the only seafood I enjoy
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    damn..and i am cooking some tonight...will be my last..
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My mom has lost 94 pounds and eats swordfish about once a week. I think it's fine hahaha.