I'm hungry!

Options
Today is my first day back on my eating right and excercise plan. And I'm freaking HUNGRY!!! I had my lunch (and it was yummy too!), and now it's taking all of my willpower to not eat the easter candy that's sitting in my pantry. I know it's not worth it, but this is usually my time of day to indulge a LOT. Candy, cookies, chips, whatever happens to be on hand. This time HAS to be different than before. Before, I would convince myself that a little indulgence was fine, when in all reality, it wasn't. I wasn't able to control myself once I got started, and every day was the same thing. Too much sugar, not enough of anything else. I wasn't losing as much weight as I could have, and I eventually stopped all together. So while I know that I can't have any of it, it feels like all my energy is being focused on the fact that I'm hungry and that's what I want. Please tell me I'm not alone!

Replies

• brockkoryrachel
    brockkoryrachel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You are NOT alone and it will take time to get past the sugar withdrawals, sorry dear. Some things that helped me in the past were...take a walk, do some form of exercise (even if it was turning up the radio and dancing around), brushing my teeth, eating fruit and drinking PLENTY of water!!!

BE STRONG...get busy doing SOMETHING other than thinking about that candy! If at all possible...clean your house of all your temptations, or make them NOT visible for you.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY not alone!!! i go thru it more at night time. BUT... i tell myself it will not be worth it. and that i have worked sooooo hard to get to where i am now that if i do it, i will have to work that much harder tomorrow to undo it! u can do this! just keep ur mind in the right place and tell urself that stuff is gross and it will only hurt u as opposed to help u!!!
  • bluehooked
    bluehooked Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I promise you, you are not alone. I find myself hungry quite a lot but think it's just a bad habit that i've got myself into. I find now that if i keep busy or do more exercise when i'm hungry, it soon goes away. Goodluck to you and please feel free to add me as a friend. Kenny
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    Have you tried drinking a cup of hot chocolate? This might give you the indulgence that you're wanting & the warm liquid makes you feel full...at least that's how I feel when I drink something like hot chocolate. When my children were younger & we had candy around the house, I would try to buy the candy that I didn't like so I wouldn't eat it! Ha Ha!:wink:
  • eorourke23
    Options
    oooft, you are definately not alone with that feeling, my worst time of day in evening time, I happily munched anything and everything at that time of day, I dont have the answer to avoiding this but I suppose it just comes down to how badly you want this weight loss plan to work, but I must admit I like to have a options low calorie hot chocolate, just the smell of the chocolate soothes me, what I do miss is having something to chew, the majority of food stuffs I am eating now is water based and smushy, oh what i would give for a bag of toffees lol, my hubby has a huge box of chocolate toffee eclairs and they keep staring at me goading me to eat just one but that would then lead to half the box so it is still sealed, How come some people can resist sweets, he is the type of person who can eat a couple of squares of chocolate and put the rest away for another time, me, eh eh, scoff the lot and live to regret it hahaha, drink plenty of water too, it fills you up and its calorie free :) good luck.
  • Palescia
    Palescia Posts: 1
    Options
    you are not able to control yourself because of what is in the food. The things companies make our food with keeps us addicted to the food. Try and eat whole foods and try and drink water. Drinking water sometimes with the size you are you may not be getting enought liquids. believe me I understand what is happening with you. Pace yourself and ask are you hungry or are you thirsty? drink the water and see if the hunger will go away.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to get rid of the things in your pantry that tempt you. If you live alone, chuck it all in the trash today and no taking it back out! :wink: Then hit the grocery store and buy only good treats: fruit, veggies, almonds, (I like non-sugar breakfast cereals), Fiber One bars, string cheese, whatever. Also pick up some of those little snack sized ziploc baggies and if the treats aren't already in single portions, measure them out into the baggies as soon as you get home. Be sure that the single serving amount is in MFP before you throw away the packing, too. Those single serving baggies will keep you from overindulging and it'll be easy to know exactly how many calories you're taking in so you can log it correctly. Also, these higher fiber foods will help to keep you feeling full for longer.

When the cravings hit, drink a glass of water and then try to find something else to do to keep your mind off the kitchen, do jumping jacks, go for a walk or run, clean the bathroom, etc. If it's still with you, eat one of the good treats and go on with your day.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • summer_anne
    Options
    Get all the bad stuff out of the house immediately!!! put it in the trunk of your car or give away to someone else.....
    Personally I end up chewing a lot of gum to help with the sweet cravings..... still not the best option, but it definitely helps! Or go brush your teeth! Good luck :)
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I would get rid of it, but I think my husband would be upset. :/ He's usually pretty good about it being kept hidden, but since today was my first day back on track, it was HARD. Really hard. But I made it through. No chocolate! And no sugar. I feel better too now that I resisted. Thanks for all your support!!
  • katlondoncanuck
    Options
    well done sweetie!!