My rant

Options
So I’m eating my lunch today at work, in the break room, and I’m talking to a co-worker. We are talking about what I’m eating/not eating and what kind of diet I’m “on”. Well since most people don’t understand Paleo diet, I normally just keep it simple by saying I’m doing a type of low carb thing. I also mentioned I have cut out all grain, no bread, or flour products at all. That is when this other person sitting at the next table, had to open her mouth, “well you might as well be dead” she says.

Ok I can understand how addicted people get to simple carbs, I’m one of them, and the cutting out bread was the hardest part for me. But this gal, is at least 150 lbs over weight, she was eating a kielbasa, on a hoagie smothered in who knows what, and she had this huge side of chili cheese fries , and of course a big drink of some kind. I so wanted to say to her, if you keep eating like that, you soon will be, but I was able to hold my tongue, and just said to the person I was sitting with, well I was probably headed that direction before, and now I feel good about the direction my health is going.

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    LOL I hear ya! Just reading what your co-worker was eating made me gag a little! I just can't stomach that stuff since cleaning up my eating habits!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing paleo, but I know what you mean. Don't pay them any mind!
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    ok don't get me wrong i like a good chili cheese fry now and then too, but no way could i eat a large pile of them.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    wow.....i know what your saying to the way people react to paleo/primal/anything low carb. It's the way I first reacted to the thought of it. It's amazing what a lil carb addiction can do ;) you get real defensive over your bread/sugar! lol. and i've noticed other people do the same thing! real quick to criticize!!! something they know nothing about!! but since my eyes have been opened, i've tried to share everything i've learned with everyone!!! I know it's not for everyone, but it's still worth it to the ones it helps! I'll take the negative comments...b/c when I'm healthy and looking hot, what will they say then!!!

keep up the good work! and ignore the comments. i don't know that i could have held my tongue on that one! lol too easy
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's your choice that you're doing this diet, not your coworkers. I understand how that is... Yesterday I got a veggie delight sub on wheat bread from Subway for lunch and my coworker commented "ew you got the wheat bread?? Bread is supposed to be white, not brown!" Then she went on to point out that I didn't have any meat or cheese on my sub either and she said "We're carnivores, we're supposed to eat meat!". I didn't say anything in reply, I just nodded and continued to enjoy my sub, no meat, no cheese, just veggies. I don't let any comments about my food bother me. As long as you are enjoying what you're eating, who cares??
  • MissKim
    Options
    i would like to correct my statement...not "low carb" "normal carb" b/c paleo/primal isn't low carb. just lower than what the govt says we should eat. i think the "low carb" idea is what sets people off about the paleo thing. it isn't low carb. it's healthy carbs.
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's so frustrating to me when I get nutrition advice from someone who practically has grease dripping down their face. I don't give unsolicited advice and I'd so love for others to do the same. I've come to the conclusion that those who make fun of the way I eat just wish they could eat that way. It makes me feel a little less violent. :-)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    When having people's comments come at you, you have to remember the source. An obese person giving me advice while they sit there and eat junk food is not going to get much respect from me for their opinions. I always figure they are just trying to justify their lifestyle while they are secretly jealous. :wink: I'm not the kind to say anything nasty out loud (my parents brought me up right!) but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be thinking it.
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I hate getting unsolicited advice about anything let alone my eating habits. I was a vegetarian for a while and my parents were constantly poking fun at me for it. Shouldn't they be complimenting me and encouraging me for trying to lose weight and be healthier? Just try to remember the source when people say stupid things like that. I remember when I was pregnant the women at the WIC office were constantly griping at me about my weight and each of them were horribly overweight. My pregnancy hormones finally got the better of me one day and I snapped "I'm pregnant what's your excuse? When my DOCTOR says I've gained too much weight, I'll put some stock in it" Made things a little awkward the next few times I came in but at least they got the hint and stopped harping on me.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I heated up some chicken and roasted broccoli the other day.... and then listened to a chorus of 10 co-workers beyotching about "OHHH THE SMELL" and "someone's lunch smells like FART".... :grumble:
    I guarantee you if I had walked through with a bag of Taco Bell I would have heard "mmmm what smells so good".

Seriously people, it's broccoli, it's good. :tongue:
  • MissKim
    Options
    I heated up some chicken and roasted broccoli the other day.... and then listened to a chorus of 10 co-workers beyotching about "OHHH THE SMELL" and "someone's lunch smells like FART".... :grumble:
    I guarantee you if I had walked through with a bag of Taco Bell I would have heard "mmmm what smells so good".

Seriously people, it's broccoli, it's good. :tongue:

OMG!!!! i second this!! GOD forbid I bring boiled eggs or fish to work for lunch!!!!! I hear about it all day long!!!!! I actually stopped bringing it to work for awhile b/c it embarassed me so much. but then i thought about it and said screw them. so now i bring whatever i please ;)
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It's your choice that you're doing this diet, not your coworkers. I understand how that is... Yesterday I got a veggie delight sub on wheat bread from Subway for lunch and my coworker commented "ew you got the wheat bread?? Bread is supposed to be white, not brown!" Then she went on to point out that I didn't have any meat or cheese on my sub either and she said "We're carnivores, we're supposed to eat meat!". I didn't say anything in reply, I just nodded and continued to enjoy my sub, no meat, no cheese, just veggies. I don't let any comments about my food bother me. As long as you are enjoying what you're eating, who cares??

ignorance is bliss
  • FitToFab
    FitToFab Posts: 47
    Options
    it happens in any lifestyle change.....overweight people are always the first to judge....
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean!! I think it is just jealousy, and the desire for everyone to be "like them".

I used to have co-workers like that too. My boss was atleast 100 pounds overweight, ate pop tarts for breakfast (MULTIPLE pop tarts I might add), then usually Wendy's for lunch, and would always say things to me like "how can you eat that rabbit food" to my salad when I would eat at my desk. Well DUH!

My favorite is, "you're so skinny, why do you have to eat like that all the time?"

Again, DUH!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I think regardless of what *type* of diet you're one you can get a reaction like that. In fact, I responded similarly to others before I got a clue. I remember one person being on Weight Watchers and going on and on about points. Now, she was a little over the top excited and I really was happy for her that she was seeing some success but it also made me feel guilty because I wasn't doing anything. So our other friend and I started joking about earning "high" points. We'd high 5 when we ate something terribly fattening and just act like we were happy but I think both of us knew we were just trying to hide from reality.

I understand it being irritating since I'm now on the other side of the fence but I was that person once. :blushing:
  • shagybear33
    shagybear33 Posts: 272
    Options
    The one thing that really irks the **** outta me is.....

"Oh I'm so fat...I wish I was skinny like you."

Then I go, "Well, I can help you.. Let's start working out, I'll help with your meal planning etc..."

They go:

"Oh yes that would be great...."

THEN THEY AVOID ME FOR WEEKS ON END!! Hahahahaha!!! Yeeesh!!
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I do not eat any meat, fish or eggs. When someone finds this out, they can't help but put in their 2 cents....like I care what they think about my eating habits or something. I don't lecture others on what they should/shouldn't put in their bodies so I sure as *kitten* don't want to hear it from them. :grumble:
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    When having people's comments come at you, you have to remember the source. An obese person giving me advice while they sit there and eat junk food is not going to get much respect from me for their opinions. I always figure they are just trying to justify their lifestyle while they are secretly jealous. :wink: I'm not the kind to say anything nasty out loud (my parents brought me up right!) but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be thinking it.

Yes this.
    And maybe, just maybe she felt a tad uncomfy hearing this "diet" conversation while she was stuffing her face and that was her defensive attack.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I think regardless of what *type* of diet you're one you can get a reaction like that. In fact, I responded similarly to others before I got a clue. I remember one person being on Weight Watchers and going on and on about points. Now, she was a little over the top excited and I really was happy for her that she was seeing some success but it also made me feel guilty because I wasn't doing anything. So our other friend and I started joking about earning "high" points. We'd high 5 when we ate something terribly fattening and just act like we were happy but I think both of us knew we were just trying to hide from reality.

I understand it being irritating since I'm now on the other side of the fence but I was that person once. :blushing:

hahaha! That's great. That sounds like something I would do.
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    Some people aren't happy with themselves but don't want to change, so they have to rain on everyone elses parade.