Giving up soda starting today...anyone want to join?

Options
JennS19
JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
After doing research and reading the posts on here.....I'm giving up soda. For good. And I'm freaking scared!!

I know I sound like a wuss. But I've tried to give up pop before and honestly I go thru withdrawls from it. You would think I'm trying to give up drugs or something..

Anyway, I would love some company so we can cheer each other on. Sort of a Soda-a-holic's anonymous. Anyone want to give it up with me?

Replies

• TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    If you need caffeine, can you drink coffee instead?
    If you really crave a soda, how about a Hansen's all natural?
    Good luck!
    I haven't drank soda in years! My body doesn't need all those chemicals!
    There's a chemical in soda that my husband uses at work to strip paint off metal! YUCK!
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm not a coffee drinker.....yuck. I just can't get over the taste.

I don't think it's the cafffinee I need because I can drink a caffine free soda no problem. It might be the fizzyness. Who knows. LOL
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!
    I stopped drinking it during the week, but I do drink coffee in the monrnig. I only drink water for the rest of the day. It is not as hard as you would think, I brought an "emergency can" to work on the first day without any soda, cracked it open around 3 p.m. and had 2 sips and did not like it at all!
    Plus remember that soda has a lot of acid in it and the acid content is only a few steps away from battery acid. I used to sip all day on soda and had to have my front teeh done twice in 4 years because of it.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU! I gave it up about 3 weeks ago. You may experience headaches for a while - anyway I did for about 5 days. BUT I'm glad I did! I am convinced that cutting out my diet cokes has really helped to curb my sugar cravings. Woo Hoo - You can do it!!!!
  • judith24
    judith24 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been wanting to do it for a while too! I just can't stop drinking diet sodas...and I didn't use to, so really want to stop. I'm in! :drinker:
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have already given up soda haven't had one since Thanksgiving, but as a word of encouragement I swear I lost 10 pounds right away with in the first couple of weeks of doing it!
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    it would be easier to ween yourself off it for a week or so. I went off soda a few months ago but I've been off caffeine for years. It's tough to quit. Took me three days and the worst headaches I've ever had. Now that I'm off I stay off and slip up maybe once a year for a littler dr. pepper cause that stuff is just amazing. Once you've been off for awhile you'll be amazed at the feeling and realize you never needed it. It's just convenient.
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Okay runnin buddy... I"m down!! I love love love soda and it's the fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I love.... ::::::::::: Can you tell I'm bored at work today... lol I've been on here all day:::::::::::::
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am here for moral support. I was SO addicted to my diet soda... I think both the caffeine, the chemicals, and the carbonation. I gave it up June 24, 2010 and I am doing GREAT! I won't lie... if you are as addicted as I was then it is NOT easy... I had headaches and felt shaky and worn out for the first couple of weeks. Then I spent a lot of time where I had good days and bad days and on bad days I could almost taste diet dr pepper thinking about it. And when someone had a soda in front of me I wanted to just take it and guzzle it down.

But 9 months later and I no longer crave it or want to hurt anyone drinking it in front of me. And I feel SO much better and lately I'm starting to actually like the water I have been forcing down for the last few months... :)

GOOD LUCK... my prayers are with you and whoever joins you!
  • natty415
    natty415 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just gave it up 3 days ago for good. I was slowly winging my self of off coke zero. I just read an article about diet soda as well yesterday and it totally turned me off from soda... The last 3 days i have drank so much water and i swear i hear my body telling me thank you so much. You can do it! :smile:

heres the link to the article

http://fashion.elle.com/beauty/2011/03/01/diet-soda-not-so-diet-after-all/?cid=el:otb:dispatch:Diet-Soda-Not-So-?Diet?-After-All:
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I crave the carbonation, so years ago, I started drinking LaCroix or Mendota Springs sparkling water. Canfield's also makes a sparkling water. No sodium, sugars or artificial anything. (I admit to drinking dietCoke still, but not daily).
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Good Luck you can do this I gave up soda, and juice on January 10th and haven't look back! I drink nothing but water and coffee with splenda.
  • ndonovan3175
    ndonovan3175 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try drinking Seltzer for the fizz. I haven't drank soda in years but drink flavored seltzers pretty much everyday! Good luck - it's easy once you get through the initial withdrawal!
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i gave it up three months ago but on sunday with dinner i have one can diet pepsi got to give your self a little treat.lol
  • tigergreeneyz
    tigergreeneyz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I will join you! I had started this at the beginning of the year, swearing off regular sodas entirely and limiting myself to one diet drink each week. I made it 2 months before falling off the wagon and drinking a regular soda.

I'll join you and try to stay focused this time. No sodas at all!

I'll send you a friend request so we can encourage each other!
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I drink quite a lot of Diet Pepsi, I always thought as it has no calories it can't be bad, but just reading a couple of the comments above is making me reconsider .... :frown:
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Well I already gave it up.
    It'll really help you, because after you give it up after a while, you won't even want it.
  • jenn2782
    jenn2782 Posts: 47
    Options
    I gave up soda for the most part...about a month ago

My problem is i use it for the caffeine cause I don't drink coffee either (hate the taste). So now i try to drink more green tea or just regular tea but I still crave diet soda and will cheat every now and then.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it! I went from drinking 4-6 cans a day to drinking it occasionally. I drink maybe one every week or two. It is hard at first, but once I made it through a month, it was pretty much easy after that. I drink so much water, it's hard to get any other liquid in anyway.
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I haven't had any soda since Saturday (I was drinking diet but still it has all those chemicals & is addictive) but so far, so good. I know we can do this!!