Am I just lazy...??

Options
One of the main reasons I am overweight is because exercise to me is like that film Cool Runnings - the Jamaican Bob Sled team - it just doesn't happen!!

Whilst I would love for this to change, I find I can't seem to break out of my cycle of starting a new fitness idea - and then quitting before I see any sort of results.

I work in an office on a computer Mon - Fri from 08:00 - 18:00. I sometimes do Sundays too if there's overtime. By the time you take out my breaks and lunch, that's 8hrs solid of being sat at my computer.

Working in my office isn't physically demanding - but mentally it's exhausting!! I spend all day writing letters to customers, so the only exercise I get is my fingers! By the time I get home at around 18:45 I just want to collapse on the sofa or jump straight into the bath for a soak.

I've worked here since I was 16; so for the past 8 years my fitness has gone from bad to pathetic. Every so often, I get the urge to get fit and really wish I could be more active or have more energy. I recently tried running but became so disheartened when I realised I could from from one lampost to the next, that have also now quit that too. Plus finding the energy to do so after work was tough.

How do you people do it?? Some people on here fit in their exercise around working and raising their children!

So now i'm left wondering..... Am I just lazy?? :(

Replies

• SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I used to have a friend who sat on a balance ball at work just to bounce around and feel more active. It's something worth trying, I say!

I think in the end the only way I would work out when I had a desk job was to do it early in the morning. Too exhausted after work!!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209
    Options
    hi, see if u can start just by walking for 30 mins a day to start, if u cant do it all in one go do 2 x 15 mins, and ive gt a exercise ball which is fab and u can use it whenever u have a spare 10mins:flowerforyou:
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hey, I think I heard it takes something like 20 consecutive days (or maybe its 30) of doing something to make it a habit. So a lot of us try something and dont get it so we give up. I was NOT athletic growing up AT ALL, I worked out here and there but not regularly not like I am now! Running for me was like this; walk 10 min jog 1 walk 10 min jog 1 for about 1/2 hr. I did this for a couple weeks (2-3 or more if you can times a wk) then I added on by walking 10 jogging 2. min. Literally slow and steady. Throw in some hills if you can for added strength building, cardio, stamina, etc. The main thing is to get out there and do it. We all can make excuses but growth can be uncomfortable so you arent growing if youre not a little uncomfortable.... ya know? I hope that helps. You can do it!!! Also, take your tennies with you and on your lunch go for a walk, even 10 min is better than nothing, right?:)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I actually think you'll see your energy increase once you consistently work out (a few months). I have 2 kids, work full time, and they both have after school activities. Once I wanted to lose the weight I just got motivated to do it, and literally had to drag myself to the gym at 9:00 at night. It was exhausting but 10 months later I can tell you I feel AWESOME and my energy level has increased so much. I now look forward to my alone time on the elliptical.
  • BriannaSkye
    BriannaSkye Posts: 135
    Options
    Try the couch to 5k program. I went from running few steps and almost up to the 5k mark now it just a few weeks. Im doing the couch to 5K 101 program.
  • pyratequeene
    Options
    It is easy to be discouraged. If you want to try jogging, you have to build up to it.

You should check out this link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It really does work! You need to start out alternating walking and running (more walking, really) as specified in the plan, and before you know it you will be able to run 5k no problem.
  • laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    Options
    Defo not lazy, just need to get into a routine!!

I am exactly the same, sit at a desk 9 hours a day, 5 days a week!!! I really struggled getting into the gym. I wont lie, the first 3weeks i really had to make myself go, but now i love it!!!

Try and go straight to the gym from work. I know its more appealing to go home and chill, but u will feel so much better about yourself! I book classes as well so i know I have to go! I go straight to the gym Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday after work then at weekends. When its nice weather, i go for 20-30 min runs instead.

Yes it does require a lot of effort sometimes to get up and do it, but a month or 2 down the line and it will just be the norm. I started my routine above around the beginning of Feb and have never looked back since!!!

Good luck :)
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    You have to want it more than anything. You have time to do it, the rest is just an excuse.......and I absolutely don't mean this is a nasty way......I get up some days 4:30/5am and workout........after I get home from work it's busy with my son, his homework and all that.........and find something you can do......I'm not ready for running yet........I want to get stronger before I do that due to some health issues (surgeries to repair past injuries....) so I'm doing my Jillian Michaels dvd's and things like that......You can do it if you really want to............
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You need to put your health first and decide you are going to stick to it for one month. I kept waiting to want to exercise or to LOVE it, and that didnt happen. Some days, it still doesn't happen. Just stick to it and it will get easier and then you will like how you feel. Even if you start small, it will be worth it. YOU are worth it!:flowerforyou:
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    lol, your so not lazy! You just basically have to make yourself workout for a month or two and then you will really start noticing an energy change. Even after just a month of working out i feel so much better and have twice the energy I use to.
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    Hello.. I totally understand this post. You could be me talking. lol. I work in a office 8 hrs a day. Fingers burning all kind of calories but when home I am a mom to two active school age boys with a husband that work opposite shift than I do so finding time for me is hard. But trust me when I say when I drag myself to the gym or on a walk while my son is at soccer practice I feel like a new woman. It gives me energy. So I say start off slow but exercise does make you feel better. So take the time for you. You deserve it. I am trying to do the same here. Good luck .. Add me as a friend if you want. We can help each other. Take care.
  • IWillWinSkinny
    IWillWinSkinny Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for some really good ideas! I'm glad i made this topic because some people have suggested things i've not thought of.

I think the exercise ball is a fantastic idea! However due to health & safety they would never allow it in work. I work for royal mail which is a huge business and they take health and safety to the extreme! They've even removed the toaster from the tea room now due to "health and safety". It's definitely something I could do at home though! So thanks for that.

I've also got an hour lunch at work, so I could go for a walk during that time. An hour for lunch feels too long really for me so going for a long walk would make it feel shorter I guess??
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    If it was easy, none of us would be here on this site! We'd all be running marathons and eating healthy and feeling great. It's a long process and adding activity to your routine is a major challenge. Set some realistic goals. You can't go from couch potato to runner overnight. The Couch to 5K program is great if running is for you. I can't run anymore, but I got myself a bike and joined a local pool so I can swim. Just find something you can do and enjoy and set yourself a schedule and try it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about exercising in the morning? I work in front of a computer as well and it really is exhausting. I have to be here at 6:30am so I exercise after work but I think all the time how much I'd rather do it in the morning. I feel so good after my workouts and then I basically go home, eat and crash out..I'd rather be able to keep that feeling through my day. Anyway just an idea :) You're not lazy...just in a rut that is certainly hard to get out of..but definitely NOT impossible.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Nope. You're not lazy. I just had a conversation with a friend today. She was wondering why sitting in front of a computer 8-9 hours/day is so exhausting. I told her that think back to a time when you worked on your feet all day. For me, it was 1994-1999 when I worked in retail. I walked to work. I walked at work. I had way more energy and I was MUCH thinner. For this friend she used to work in a movie theater and moved around all of the time. Even during that time when I worked in an office I still walked to run errands!

Siting still, typing, answering phones etc. all day long often leads to high blood pressure. It's killing us slowly. The solution is to make sure you get fresh air daily. Today I ran some errands. Sometimes I walk at lunch. And I will tell you that often I feel half dead when I'm driving myself to the gym. Afterwards I feel 1000% better. That's just the way it is.

A little fresh air daily will do you a world of good. I promise you.