30 lbs in 3 months...

Options
Can it be done?? i am a 5'2 mother of one that gained 52 lbs while pregnant with my monkey. She will be turning 3 in july and i want so desperately to be down 30 lbs by then. its what i have left to be at my ppw! any suggestions and tips are welcome! i need tips on exercise and diet!! pls and ty! not only that but the summers here in Illinois are UNBEARABLE! and the extra weight made my summers so uncomfortable last year. It really sucked. I want to be able to enjoy the warm weather with her!

Replies

• skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs from 1-3-11 to 3-27-11. Diet and excersise. Add me if you'd like.
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    That doesn't sound like a healthy and realistic plan to me. I would shoot for about 20-25 pounds by then. Eating right, strength training, cutting out useless snacks and soda will help along with some cardio but to really have a positive effect on your overall health and wellbeing you have to take it relatively slow and do it the right way the first time. If you try to drop that weight too fast and "cut corners" you could easily gain some or all of it back later. Do it right the first time. Join a gym or start a group with the neighborhood moms and walk/run every day. The cardio will help you lose weight but muscle burns calories all day. Strength training will lead to more muscle and more calorie burning power. Good luck!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Do you have a membership to a gym or are you looking for stuff to do on your own at home or videos?
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've lost 34 lbs since 12/13/10......Yes, it can be done!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Be consistent and honest with logging your food and do some kind of exercise but keep in mind that it's 80% diet and 20% exercise. Pick exercise you love or you won't do it. I have fallen in love with Turbo Fire and with Jillian Michaels DVD's. BOth are great workouts and can be done at home. Turbo Fire is pricey but Jillian Michaels runs about 10 bucks at Walmart.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm same height as you and I start at the same weight...I've lost 20lb in 3 months...so if you work even harder...yeah you probably could do it?
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Really, if you lose more than 5-7 lbs a month you could be setting yourself up for failure. If you drop it to fast it comes back on easier. Shoot for 5 lbs a month. Thats what I did and I have been very successful! :)
  • cm40
    cm40 Posts: 30
    Options
    I wish you the best. But you're talking about 2.5 lbs per week. Which may prove a bit difficult. You may want to consider how much of that will be water weight as well. I think you can lose the weight, but it'll take lots of exercise and a proper diet. Also, keep in mind that weight is not everything. You should focus on long term. Maybe consider 1-1.5 lbs a week and do strength and conditioning so that you're body's metabolism gets faster as well. Improved health will make exercising more tolerable and give you better long term results.
    With losing so much weight so quickly you can gain it back quickly if you get away from the exercise and diet.
  • CodyAnne
    CodyAnne Posts: 20
    Options
    That's what I'm shooting for! At *least* 20-25, anyway. I still have 45 pounds to lose (I just lost my first 10 in the past 4 weeks!) and I'm hoping that "the first" weight to go is "the easiest" - I think it is possible, if you led a life like mine (soda & fast food every day, sedentary lifestyle) and suddenly are eating healthier & working out. But don't push yourself too hard or get down and out when you haven't been losing at the rate you want to lose - when you plateau mix up your workouts, do something different, but don't give up!
  • lorika1977
    lorika1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I live in Illinois too so feel free to add me as your friend. 30 lbs could probably be done but I have to agree with previous posts that is not realistic. With a todller in tow, you need to be prepared to be flexible which means sometimes not being able to work out, or not being able to have all healthy meals. With such a goal you would have to be extremely good.
    1 lbs per week is an attainable goal, which would still give you almost half of your goal. I can tell you that once you are 10 lbs down, you will feel MUCH better so don't be stuck on a number. Just start changing your lifestyle and have patience. It's a process and it may take longer than you think it should, but if you are persistent, you will get there.
    Best of luck to you!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    In order to loose 30 lbs in 3 months, you will to have an average calorie deficit of 1100 calories per day. See below:

3 months = 13.5 weeks
    30 lbs / 13.5 weeks = 2.2 lbs per week
    2.2 lbs per week / 7 days = .314 lbs per day
    .314 lbs * 3500 calories per lb = 1100 calories

Considering your Weight, Height, Age & Sex you should have a BMR of 1400, and to avoid starvation mode you need to maintain at least 1200 calories. Which means, at most, you can have a deficit of 200 calories per day. This will result in a loss of about 0.5 lbs per week, or about 7 lbs in 3 months.

I am not trying to discourage you, but rather trying to give you the most healthy realistic expectation available. It's is an unfortunate fact for you petite ladies that the numbers just are harder to work around.

Lastly, try to remember that your 52 lbs weight gain did not happen in 3 months so you can't reasonably expect it to come off that fast.
  • rosy_rsls
    rosy_rsls Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i have a gym membership and have been going daily for the last three days. i have been eating as healthy as i can minus the cookies lol. but have managed to stay under my calorie intake goal. i have also started drinking a glass of water with everything that i put in my mouth (sometimes to glasses) and i must say that has helped curve some cravings. it also makes me feel fuller faster. as far as exercise first day i did 30 mins of elliptical and today i went up to 40 and almost doubled my calorie burn! i would still be happy with 20 =] i just want to get healthier and enjoy my life. ive been so depressed with all this extra weight it has put a drag on my social and personal life.