Totally confused- need help!

nfretwell85
nfretwell85 Posts: 4 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I have read quite a few of these posts, but I still feel confused about how to go about dieting the "right" way.

First, I calculated my BMR. It is about 1,500 cals/day. When I first joined MFP, it told me to only eat 1,200 cals/day to lose what I wanted to. Which should I stick to? Previously, I was eating WAY, WAY, WAY over 3,000 cals/day- easily! I never knew how much I was eating until I started keeping track- what a wake up call!!! I don't skip meals-- ever, I eat all the time, that's my problem. I just have to start making better choices and eating smaller portions. Also, should I be eating my exercise calories? Most where I've read it says "yes". Just want to verify that. Anyway, I'm 5'1", 180lbs. Since starting this program roughly 2 weeks ago, I've lost 4 pounds. Not bad in my opinion, but I want to do this the right way, even if it means losing slower.

Any tips that you can share that you'll think will help or links, ANYTHING, would be GREATLY appreciated :)
Thanks!!

Replies

• hamsmash
    hamsmash Posts: 41 Member
    sounds like your on track, keep at it
  • riesa00
    riesa00 Posts: 9
    I'd eat what your Resting Metabolic Rate is. Google "Resting Metabolic Rate Calculator" to calculate the amount of calories your body needs to function properly. I would not eat your exercise calories. You will lose weight faster if you do not eat them. Hope this helps!
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    You can eat what ever you want as long as you burn( exercise) more calories off then you eat. Let's say your goal calorie intake is 1200 and this morning you burn 400 calories walking you can now eat 1599 calories , I would recommend leaving more than 1 calorie but you get my point. You lose weight when you eat a 1200 calorie diet and do no exercise the exercise lets you eat more and still lose. Good luck!
  • LilyBugsMommy
    LilyBugsMommy Posts: 109 Member
    I am not sure how to calculate my own BMR, that is why I use this site :) It is much easier to do what the computer says :) At some point I will probably try to figure these details out on my own, but for now, it is just easier to follow what MFP says.

I would stick with whatever this site is telling you. It seems to be working for so many people. I have read time and time again that you are suppose to eat your exercise calories, so I usually eat some of them. I don't always get them all in to me though, but I don't worry if I don't.
  • CodyAnne
    CodyAnne Posts: 20
    When I saw a nutritionist my MFP had set my goals for 1200 as well... she in turn said, "You aren't eating enough." and set them to 1600-1800/day, along with at least 150 minutes of exercise per week, preferably 300 minutes per week. It sounds like you & I are similarly overweight - I am 5'7" and was 204 when I saw her just over 4 weeks ago (as high as 212 a few months ago). Since eating between 1600-1800 calories as well as adding exercise, I have lost 11 pounds! I think that not eating enough is just as damaging as eating too much. (And trust me... I was eating well over 3000 calories and not exercising much at all... I know how it feels!) So I would stick with the higher calorie goal.

My theory as to why MFP is "so low" is that if you notice when you enter your exercise, it adds it to the calories you can eat, which sounds silly... but if you burn 300 calories a day per one hour workout, well there's your 1500 calories and a workout. I'm not sure... but I would set your calorie goal higher and choose *not* to eat your "earned from exercise" calories! that's what I do.

Good luck!!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    The whole eating your exercise calories is discussed endlessly. I find that it helps me. I exercise really hard and if I don't eat back most of my calories, I'll go on one heck of a binge after a couple days. I think my body basically says, hey you need to feed me right or I'm going to get it any way I can. Take a look at my diary - there's days that I eat almost 2400 calories and I have consistently lost weight (and over the past 3 years, quite a lot).

Exercise and eating healthy are the key.
  • cgreagor
    cgreagor Posts: 8
    How much are you expecting to lose per week? 1200 is not a lot of calories. Your goal should be 1/2 a pound to a pound a week (and if more comes off, yeah for you)! You do not want to lose it too quickly, it is not healthy and if you are not giving yourself enough good calories, then your body will go into starve mode, don't want that!
    This program is great on how it shows you your fat intake, carbs and so on. Make sure for the first several weeks you measure EVERYTHING! And drink your water. I don't always use my exercise calories, it just depends on how hungry I am. Listen to your body, it will tell you! Sounds like you are doing great!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    I would not eat your exercise calories. You will lose weight faster if you do not eat them.

This is NOT accurate. When you are only eating 1200 calories a day, it is absolutely essential for you to eat your exercise calories for your body to have the proper fuel and nutrition. Read the two links in my signature for some more detailed explanations about why that is so important. Stick with the 1200 target that MFP gave you as it is set that way to help you lose whatever your weekly goal is. Good luck!!
  • nfretwell85
    I want to lose at least 30lbs. I was much more comfortable around 150 (2 babies ago!). But I would be THRILLED to lose 50! :happy:

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will stick to what I'm doing. 1,500 cals/day seems to be working and I don't eat my exercise calories on most days... just depends on how I'm feeling.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    I set my goal to 1250 as my BMR is 1245. Once I add exercise that number goes up to between 1850 to sometimes over 2000. You eat the exercise calories back because MFP already built in a deficit for you based on your goals. So while I may eat 2000 calories, I'm really only leaving 1250 for my body to absorb and use in order to function because of the calories I burnt through exercise. When you don't eat them back, you're creating a larger deficit than MFP calculated for you and not leaving a healthy amount of calories for your body to absorb and use to function.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    1,500 cals/day seems to be working and I don't eat my exercise calories on most days... just depends on how I'm feeling.

It'll work for now while you have 30-50 pounds to lose. The closer you get to your goal though, you WILL hit a plateau and stop losing. Trust me, read those posts, eat your calories and create those good habits now so that you can avoid the plateaus and frustrations that many around here go through.
  • Be careful with the calculator sites when you google them, every singe one I try gives me a different number. 1200 is good to stick to if you are not going to work out that day. And don't be surprised if its a bit hard at first b/c after your body is used to about 3000 you have to re-train it to smaller portions. Good luck!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    I would definately start with eating your BMR rate.. I just figured mine today and plan to up my calories to that.. otherwise your body will go into starvation mode and start utilizing your muscle for energy.. thus causing metobolic damage or slowing down your metabolism. A great way to monitor your progress is by checking your percentage of bodyfat weekly with each weigh in.. This will help you to determine what you are burning fat or muscle. A great resource is a book called Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto - He explains all of this. There is so much conflicting information out there. Not one thing is right for everybody.

You can start with your BMR rate and weigh in for two weeks, taking bf% as well.. this will give you the feedback you will need to determine if you need to change anything.

I hope this helps... I know how confusing it can be. Just remember.. it is about the journey not the destination.. Everything you learn will help you to make permanent lifestyle changes.. changes you can live with forever. You will find what works for you as long as you are open to it.

good luck!
  • nfretwell85
    Celo24- That makes since! Thanks so much!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    I would definately start with eating your BMR rate.. I just figured mine today and plan to up my calories to that.. otherwise your body will go into starvation mode and start utilizing your muscle for energy.. thus causing metobolic damage or slowing down your metabolism. A great way to monitor your progress is by checking your percentage of bodyfat weekly with each weigh in.. This will help you to determine what you are burning fat or muscle. A great resource is a book called Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto - He explains all of this. There is so much conflicting information out there. Not one thing is right for everybody.

You can start with your BMR rate and weigh in for two weeks, taking bf% as well.. this will give you the feedback you will need to determine if you need to change anything.

I hope this helps... I know how confusing it can be. Just remember.. it is about the journey not the destination.. Everything you learn will help you to make permanent lifestyle changes.. changes you can live with forever. You will find what works for you as long as you are open to it.

good luck!

This is GREAT advice. You can even set your base a little above your BMR and eat your exercise calores and have a deficit to lose with.
  • nfretwell85
    So to eat my BMR or not eat my BMR that is the question... LOL
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    So to eat my BMR or not eat my BMR that is the question... LOL

Eat your BMR! That is the absolute minimum your body needs to keep you functioning, to keep your heart working and your brain working and your liver working and your colon working.

EAT AT LEAST YOUR BMR, preferably a bit more. Starving your body helps no one.
This discussion has been closed.