MFP Runner's Club - July 31

Options
Good morning runners!

Today I woke up bright and early for Bring-A-Friend SEAL training. If you're not from Richmond, Virginia, you may not have heard of the SEAL team. (www.sealteampt.com) It's basically boot camp led by a former Navy SEAL, and it's intense! A friend of mine is on the team so I went to check it out ... I've never done so many pushups, crab crawls, or sit-ups in my life!!! We would RUN from one course to the next. They do it Monday through Friday. Rain or shine. Hot or cold. Mud and all!!!!

Replies

• Slender1
    Slender1 Posts: 185
    Options
    Good morning runners!

Today I woke up bright and early for Bring-A-Friend SEAL training. If you're not from Richmond, Virginia, you may not have heard of the SEAL team. (www.sealteampt.com) It's basically boot camp led by a former Navy SEAL, and it's intense! A friend of mine is on the team so I went to check it out ... I've never done so many pushups, crab crawls, or sit-ups in my life!!! We would RUN from one course to the next. They do it Monday through Friday. Rain or shine. Hot or cold. Mud and all!!!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, Slender! Sounds intense - good job! :drinker:

Overslept & we're supposed to hit 100 degrees today. Doubt I'll get out. :grumble:

Happy running, ya'll! :smooched:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Good morning fellow runners. Our little running group from boot camp ran today. I was shooting for 5 miles but only made it 4 but I did that in 45 minutes and only had to stop once to walk. I guess I have to progress from 3 to 4 to 5.

I will be going camping later today so I am not sure what types of physical acitivy we will be doing. One the of the girls said she wanted to run but I think that unless I push for it, it wont happen. I am taking my running gear so I can at least go by myself.

Everyone have a great run today.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Runners!!

Slender - is this SEAL program only in Richmond? I am going to look into it and see if they do it in NoVA, closer to me. Sounds like a blast!

Shannon - 100 degree ain't nothing! Get out there and run!

I ran last night in the thickest, muddiest, drip off your skin humidity -

So I hope Banks posts today because I wanted to tell him that I retract what I said the other day - I can run a 5K in 22 minutes - did it last night. We did Tempo Run - 4 minutes on, 2 minutes off and I finished 3.5 in 22 minutes. That is the first time that I could really see my progress. I wasn't even winded. Left there and went to strength training class.

Today is my MIL's b-day, so no exercise today, we are taking her out to dinnner and possibly a boat ride depending on the weather.

Have a great day everyone!!!
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    I did it again!! I ran 4.5 miles. This time is was a little bit of a struggle until mile 4 which is a lot of struggle for sure.

How do you guys deal with when you dont feel light and amped to run but rather heavy and it feels like a lot of effort. Any tricks that you use to move through it???

You guys are really awesome- BTW!!
  • Slender1
    Slender1 Posts: 185
    Options
    Good Morning Runners!!

Slender - is this SEAL program only in Richmond? I am going to look into it and see if they do it in NoVA, closer to me. Sounds like a blast!

So I hope Banks posts today because I wanted to tell him that I retract what I said the other day - I can run a 5K in 22 minutes - did it last night. We did Tempo Run - 4 minutes on, 2 minutes off and I finished 3.5 in 22 minutes. That is the first time that I could really see my progress. I wasn't even winded. Left there and went to strength training class.

Today is my MIL's b-day, so no exercise today, we are taking her out to dinnner and possibly a boat ride depending on the weather.

Have a great day everyone!!!

As far as I know it's only in Richmond, but I am sure you could find something similiar to the program up in your area. Where in NoVA do you live? I grew up in Chantilly. :)
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Good Morning Runners!!

I'm delicate & prone to wilting. CrossedArms.gif

I let the dogs take me out for a pull this morning, does that count??? sparkle.gif

Good going on your runs, Tricia, mlillie & Sherry! :drinker:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Morning Runners,

Okay talk to me about knee braces and those shin splint braces they have at the sport stores.

Do they work? I don't want the damn shin splints to stoppppppp me. :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning :flowerforyou:

Today I ran a 6 mile tempo run. I warmed up for a mile. Then, I ran 4 miles at 9:40 pace. Pretty hard work for me in 84 degrees and 82% humidity. Afterwards I ran another mile to cool down. Whew! I am done!

I carried my fuel belt hand grip water bottle. I did not like it at all. It was more comfortable on my hand after I drank all of the water.:laugh:

Make it a great day!
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Good morning runners!

I have lived in Richmond (Glen Allen and Midlothian) off and on over the years. I have heard of the infamous SEAL training. My husbands old boss Robert McClemore used to do it. I never did it. However if we lived there now I would definitely have to try it.

Good for you!:drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Morning Runners,

Okay talk to me about knee braces and those shin splint braces they have at the sport stores.

Do they work? I don't want the damn shin splints to stoppppppp me. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I wear knee braces & yes they do help me alleviate knee pain. Get the open patella style for better support. :smile:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Wow Tricia, you're so fast!! Great job Kechie, and Shannon, I wouldn't go in 100 degree weather either. I would melt!

Today I do a 6 mile tempo run. It's a beautiful day here.

Have a nice one!

Terry:flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    Options

Wow! 22 minutes! That is awesome! Be sure to sign up for some 5Ks. I'll bet you can finish even faster in a race and with a time like that you are sure to get an award.

Congrats on your progress:drinker:
    :heart: -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    I did it again!! I ran 4.5 miles. This time is was a little bit of a struggle until mile 4 which is a lot of struggle for sure.
    How do you guys deal with when you dont feel light and amped to run but rather heavy and it feels like a lot of effort. Any tricks that you use to move through it???
    You guys are really awesome- BTW!!

Hi there mlillie -
    Congrats on doing 4.5 miles. That is awesome!
    No matter how far I'm running I start most of my runs feeling like it's effort. To keep myself going I do a check up from the neck up.:laugh: I tell myself positive things.
    "You can do it."
    "Check your form".
    "Relax your shoulders."
    "Breathe."
    I also have some mantras that work for me. My favorite one is:
    I'm alive. I'm awake. I feel great.

I say this until I mean it.

If it is not mental for you, try starting your runs slower. I mean really slow. I always walk briskly before I run. Then once I start running I take the first mile super slow.

Hope this helps
    -Kechie.
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Hello awesome runners....!!!

On Monday I will begin the Couch Potato to 5K program....:noway:

I am excited to see how well I can from the beginning and I am going to follow the plan even if I feel I am able to do more. I do not and cannot risk an injury!!! So any helpful suggestions on how to stay injury free would be greatly appreciated.

Looking very forward to this new adventure and the miles down the road it will lead me....:smile:
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    Hi all! It's been a while since I have been in the loop of things so I need to catch up. We did a couple back to back mini vaca's with the fam! I kept up with running and have lost another 4 lbs. in the past 2.5 weeks! Yipee!! I'll take it!

So PMKelly--where in NoVA are you? We used to live In NoVa. Just moved from there 2 years ago this past June! I loved it! I miss all of my friends there so much! We go back at least 2 times a year to visit.
    We were in Haymarket which is west of Centreville. Didn't you also do a marathon just recently? If so, how did it go?

Ok...like I said, it's been a while....who ran the crazy 31 mile marathon? How was it? I assume that you lived through it!:tongue: I don't know if I would.

The heat wave is crazy hot here. We are in the mid 90's and the humidity feels like a hot wet blanket wrapped around you tightly. I have managed to run at leat 5 times a week and I am getting 4 - 4.5 miles in but it is sooooo draining at these temperatures. It stinks! Bring on the football weather!

Hope everyone has a great run and an even better day!!
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Morning Runners,

I wear knee braces & yes they do help me alleviate knee pain. Get the open patella style for better support. :smile:

I'm going to take your advice and get a knee brace. I don't know what I did exactly but my knee is still sore and stiff. Thanks Shannon!
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Morning Runners,

I'm going to take your advice and get a knee brace. I don't know what I did exactly but my knee is still sore and stiff. Thanks Shannon!

For longer runs, take a couple advils (one for each knee :laugh: ) about 30 minutes before you run too.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Options

I am excited to see how well I can from the beginning and I am going to follow the plan even if I feel I am able to do more. I do not and cannot risk an injury!!! So any helpful suggestions on how to stay injury free would be greatly appreciated.

Looking very forward to this new adventure and the miles down the road it will lead me....:smile:

Yeah!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes for you!! :drinker:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

STRETCH - STRETCH - STRETCH!!! and remain injury free!

GOOD LUCK!! you will do great!!!