Should breakfast be your biggest and/or your higest calorie

kenjacks
kenjacks Posts: 13
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been noticing that by breakfast is my lowest calorie meal of the day. Even smaller than my snacks at times. Should I be eating like a King at breakfast, Prince at lunch, and a Servant at dinner? Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Some would say yes so that you have time to digest and work off those bigger meals during the day.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    My meals are all pretty close- I eat about 250-400 for breakfast (depending on my workout) and then about 300-500 for lunch and dinner.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    It probably should be, but with my schedule, it is not possible for me. I dont worry about when I eat, I just try and keep the total calories in check.
  • m4ukcats
    m4ukcats Posts: 11
    I don't know the answer to your question for sure, but I have heard that breakfast should be one of the bigger meals of the day. I LOVE breakfast, and I gladly sometimes trade eating more calories at breakfast with eating less at dinner.
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    I think ideally yes - but most people (myself included) have more trouble limiting calories in the afternoon/evening rather than in the morning so it may make sense to consume less at breakfast when you least desire food in order to minimize overall calories. I usually shoot for about a 200 calorie breakfast (sometimes more if I have a light lunch planned), 400 at lunch, a 200 calorie snack, and a 400-500 calorie dinner. Then maybe even another snack after dinner if I've worked out.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I think it should be, then you have all day to work it off but it's not always ideal. Something is better than nothing!
  • kenjacks
    kenjacks Posts: 13
    That's what I do as well. Thanks for responding.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    For me, yes. My breakfast is usually around 600 calories and later meals are less. If I have a big breakfast I'm less inclined to munch throughout the day, my energy level is better, and I'm just happier. It could be different for others though.
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    It is tough to do, but I absolutely think that is the best way to go to lose weight.
  • Emi_chan
    Emi_chan Posts: 105 Member
    Should I be eating like a King at breakfast, Prince at lunch, and a Servant at dinner?

Exactly. If you weigh-in in the mornings, I also suggest eating dinner as early as possible which tends to help me with my results. :)
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    My nutritionist said that it does not matter and to do what works for me as long as I don't skip a meal or wait until I am STARVING at my next meal. I eat my biggest meal for dinner.
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    A big breakfast is working for me. I usualy have around 400 cals and that's my biggest meal for the the day. It's also my most enjoyable meal at the moment, and what I have takes no time at all to make. Here's what I have almost every day

Bircher Muesli - Before bed I soak 1 cup of Oats with 1 cup of Water (this lasts 2 days). Then in the morning I mix in 200grams of low fat yoghurt, a grated apple and some cinnamon. Then I dish out 1/2 the mixture and top it with a tablespoon each of LSA and Wheatgerm. It's delicious, so filling and about 370 cals.

Smoothy Cereal - I make a fruit smoothy, at the moment I'm having a plum, a nectarine, a handfull of frozen berries, then add a couple of spoons of l/f yoghurt, 1/2 cup of l/f milk and some cinnamon. Then I pour the smoothy into a bowl and top it again with LSA and Wheatgerm and 1/2 cup of breakfast cereal. Again really delicious and filling and about 400 cals depending on the cereal.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    calories are calories, it doesn't matter when you eat them.
    people say you should have a bigger breakfast because you burn more calories throughout the day, which is true.
    and it helps you stay full longer, causing you not to binge.

it's a personal choice.
This discussion has been closed.