Fruit flies!!

Options
Okay,
So I've been adopting this new healthy eating which consists of eating more natural foods like fruits and veggies. But now that it's summer a new thing has happened...
I HAVE FRUIT FLIES! I clean my kitchen everyday but still those little buggers are still in my house. No matter how clean my kitchen is one fruit fly will send me into a cleaning frenzy!!!
HELP ME GET RID OF THEM!!!
V

Replies

• Vanessa82
    Vanessa82 Posts: 56
    Options
    Okay,
    So I've been adopting this new healthy eating which consists of eating more natural foods like fruits and veggies. But now that it's summer a new thing has happened...
    I HAVE FRUIT FLIES! I clean my kitchen everyday but still those little buggers are still in my house. No matter how clean my kitchen is one fruit fly will send me into a cleaning frenzy!!!
    HELP ME GET RID OF THEM!!!
    V
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I have these lil buggers in my house every late July and August too. LOL. I have no idea where they come from or even why they choose to hang around here. They only seem to hang out in my bathroom and sometimes in my kitchen. Believe me you, I am a neat freak germ a phobe, so I don't think it matters how clean your house is.....LOL. The best advice I can give is to swat them with a rolled up newspaper like you would houseflies.

Also, they love sweet smelling candles, so I put all of mine away until I treat them to a miserable demise.

Happy swatting!:happy:
  • Juliebean
    Juliebean Posts: 317
    Options
    Leave a glass of wine/fruit juice out on the counter overnight. They're so attracted to it that they will crawl into the glass and drown. If you've got to die I can think of worse ways to go... :laugh:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Yes, they happen to everyone. If you leave your fruit out, get a food screen, you can usually find em at any housewares store. It's a little, metal dome like a strainer, but usually bigger and with a small handle. It should keep em out.
    here is an example from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Mesh-Food-Cover-Fox/dp/B000GBYA8Q
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Leave a glass of wine/fruit juice out on the counter overnight. They're so attracted to it that they will crawl into the glass and drown. If you've got to die I can think of worse ways to go... :laugh:

Hahahahaha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Are you taking pity on the fruit flies?
    Giving them a swim in wine as an easy death.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love it! (But I'm sure it really does work!)
  • Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I get these too! Drive me mad...my mother-in-law told me to pour bleach down the sink. She said they often breed in the drain - I don't know if it works...I try to do it every week....good luck!
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    You can also use apple cider vinegar to attract them. Make a funnel out of a piece of paper and put it in the glass just above the vinegar. They go down in to get to the vinegar and drown in the cider. The funnel keeps them from escaping from the glass.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    LMAO! I love it...I have fruit flies too, they get into my bag of returnable bottles and cans and then u lift the bag and they go EVERYWHERE ick
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    She said they often breed in the drain

:sick:
    *leaves to go purchase 20 gallons of bleach
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i have this problem also i just try to keep all foods off the counter, and nothing open left out ,, my kids doesnt seem to understand this one

20033.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Loosing4me
    Loosing4me Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What works for me is a bowl of water, a splash of vinegar, and a squirt of dish soap on top. They're attracted to the vinegar, go in and get stuck in the dish soap. Works like a charm!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    ugh the dreaded fruit fly invasion of the late summer months....they drive me nuts!

I'm gonna try the bleach thing and the fruit juice or vinegar w/ the funnel thing....

prepare to die suckers!!!!:glasses: ....Ali's gonna be kicking some FF butt!!! woo hoo!:drinker:

hugs and thanks!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Citrus fruit cut in half (oranges are best) with lots of cloves stuck into it will help to keep them away.
  • Juliebean
    Juliebean Posts: 317
    Options

Hahahahaha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Are you taking pity on the fruit flies?
    Giving them a swim in wine as an easy death.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love it! (But I'm sure it really does work!)

Heck yes it works! And I can see why! If I saw a gigantic glass of wine I'd be tempted to crawl in for a drink myself! :drinker: I don't blame the little buggers, I just don't want 'em in my house!
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    my dh is a commercial pest man. he says to clean all drains, sink, fridge inside, and the drip pan, any others with an insecticide soap/gel. they breed in the drains/ and on the fruit/veggies. he says to also check your fruits/veggies daily for any spoilage and throw away. he says they are the hard to get rid of.
    hope this helps.
    chipper