WEiGHT FLUCTUATIONS

Options
WEIGHT FLUCTUATIONS! On Monday, I weighed in at 164. This morning, I weighed in at 166. I know there are such things are 'fluctuations' out there.. but, why? I am doing everything EXACTLY the same. How do you deal with the fluctuations, and how often do you weigh? When mine fluctuates.. I get very depressed because I think I am gaining. And then i recap everything that I did that day and its always the same as before. I hate seeing a higher number on the scale :( I know I am *****ing, but I am very insecure when it comes to my weight and I just want to reach my goal.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    It could be everything from retaining water to needing a good bowel movement. Don't worry about it.

I weigh every day. I was up a pound today, but didn't have a bowel movement in the AM. I'm sure it will be down tomorrow or the day after.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    Mine fluctuates all the time too....everybody does! I try to weight myself in the morning before i eat breakfast, and also if you are about to get your period you will weigh more. Don't worry! A lot of people say to only weigh yourself once a week, to avoid that panicked feeling when you see a little gain from day to day.
  • corrinnebrown
    Options
    Weigh yourself WEEKLY! Don't put yourself through that!
  • grandnubian
    Options
    There are many reasons why you may be fluctuating - water/bloat is usually the number one, especially for women. Ultimately, there's not much point in weighing yourself every day or every few days. It's better that you weigh in once a week or once every 10 days. You'll get a longer view and see actual weight trends that you can evaluate. I personally only weigh myself once a week, and make conclusions about it every 4 - 6 weeks. Anything more frequent is a little pointless.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and have gotten used to seeing the fluctuations. It is annoying but normal I guess.

There are smartphone apps out there that you can use to track your weight and see the general trend.

http://tapbots.com/software/weightbot/
    http://www.madeupsoftware.com/trueweight/home.html
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    I am at the same number. the past three weeks I have been up a pound, down three pounds and then up one and a half pounds. AHG! So crazy. I feel the same way as you, when the weight goes up I feel bad even though I know I am doing what I should.
    I decided last week to change from losing one pound a week to half a pound, I have about 7 pounds to my goal weight. Anyway this morning I weighed in and I lost a pound... A whole pound. The only thing I changed was eating a little more. I ate between 1500-1600 net calories everyday. I work out 4-5 days a week, at home with DVD's mostly Jillian Michaels and some of Bob Harpers workouts. I usually burn about 330-500 calories each workout depending on which I do. Anyway, I think for me I wasn't eating enough and my workouts were not spaced out throughout the week. I don't know your routine, but hopefully this helps. Keep with it, if you are doing everything you can the weight will come off.
    ~corina
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Do you weight yourself in the morning after you've gone to the bathroom? I only weigh myself in the mornings and yes, my weight fluctuates! You can retain more water if you eat salty foods so try staying away from that as much as possible! Also, if you don't sleep for at least 7 hours then you're body hasn't put all of that food and water to full use yet so it may be a little higher than if you waited a few more hours (without eating of course)! Try to only weight yourself once a week and see how that goes for you! I know it's hard because I'm a bad daily weigher as well. You've lost an amazing 53 lbs already and you should be so proud of that!!! You know that this is a journey and as long as you keep going and giving it 100% then there's no reason to get depressed or upset with yourself!!! :)
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    i weigh every day as well, because i do the body test on wii fit plus..i used to get depressed, but sometimes it's gained muscle, and lost fat..you will see inches gone, but muscle is heavier..could be 1 reason, weigh yourself at the same time every day..and always make sure you use the bathroom directly before..body waste can add a few ounces..that doesn;t seem like much, but it never hurts..don't worry, we have all gone thru it..add me if you like
  • sunshine269
    sunshine269 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Salt is killer for me. If I overload on salt I can gain 3 pounds of water weight in a day. I try to keep it under 2100-2400 mg a day. I have added salt to my daily nutrition report so I can keep a close eye on it and choose my foods throughout the day by using it.