what the!?!? why does milk have so much sugar?

Options
i go over my sugar by a lot everyday and was wondering whyyyyy.
as i look through my diary i noticed that the cup of milk i had this morning had 12 grams of sugar and only have 2 grams left for the rest of the day :( i drink milk 1-2 sometimes 3 times a day.
why does it have so much sugar!? does anyone know of any alternative for milk with less sugar?

Replies

• LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Because lactose is milk sugar. It's part of milk. It's just how it comes out. Baby cows need milk sugar to be healthy, so it's in there. Human milk has lots of sugar too.

You could try lactose-free milk, but they probably substitute another kind of sugar to make it taste the same. I don't know. Check the label.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It's called Lactose, a naturally occuring sugar.

Try soy or almond milk.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I don't count natural occurring sugar in my intake. Sugar found in milk, fruit, etc is natural. I want to concentrate on less added sugar. I upped my sugar to 40 on here.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I drink Vanilla Soy Milk! It's so amazing and only has 1g sugar :)
  • laurabeth02
    Options
    I agree with the post above, you can drink an entire cup of unsweetened almond milk for only 35 calories, and no added sugar. It took some getting used to for me, but now I prefer it to regular milk.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Actually the sugar/protein proportions that naturally occur in milk are very healthy. You should drink the milk. Don't worry about your sugar amounts unless you are getting that sugar from processed sources.
  • olo567
    olo567 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you like milk, don't worry about the sugar. Just like fruits, the sugars are natural, so as long as you're not going overboard on overall carbs too much and still getting a good portion of your calories from protein, go ahead and enjoy.
  • jmontana10
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes and was subbing no-sugar-added almond milk for skim, and my dietician said the sugar in milk (lactose) is better-digested by the body and better utilized than regular table sugar or other forms of sugar. Although it does look like a lot of sugar per cup, she said it's nothing to worry about since the other nutrients in milk are so important.
    -Jenni, RN
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    That is Milk Sugar (lactose), Milk Sugar found in Dairy Products; like eating fresh fruit is fruit sugar (fructose.) It Releases Differently in the Body than HFCS or "Table Sugar." You may want to read up on it (Natural Sugars) to see if you want it. Personally, I have no problem with fruit sugar or milk sugar but I DO limit them.

ALSO: Stuff like Soy Milk/Almond Milk/Some Coconut Milk are OK, if you like them. BUT be aware that they ADD REFINED SUGAR/HFCS! NOTHING Natural about their sugars!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk

Yep, Coconut too! No soy!
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Note that this isn't necessarily all sugar that was added to it. Many foods have naturally occurring sugars in them. For example, 1 cup of strawberries has 7g of sugar in it. A 7-8" banana has about 20g of sugar in it. These natural sugars are different from refined sugars.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Also something you lose by subbing almond/soy/coconut milk for regular milk is the potassium and protein that milk has. Stick with normal milk. The sugars are not added sugars.