Is losing more inches than lbs good?

Options
Hi Everyone,
I just got back from working out. I lost 14.6 inches and 11.2 lbs in the last 30 days. Here is the dilema, my trainer informed me that losing that many inches isn't healthy at all and that my body has gone into starvation mode. She said I need to eat more to lose weight...it doesn't make sense to me at all. Here I was feeling all proud of myself, and she deflated it..lol. So what is it folks?? I know I do need to eat more protein, but man somedays I am just not hungry enough to eat 1200 calories. Any and all input is very much apppreciated.
Have an awesome day, and good luck!!
Barb

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Well.. perhaps you should eat more calorie-dense (but still healthy) foods? Nuts and peanut butter, as well as drinking a glass of milk are easy ways to add healthy calories, and they have protein as well. Another option that I like is greek yogurt. It's packed with protein and an easy 100 calories.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If you are noticing inches go away, that is much better than the pounds! Your trainer must be an idiot, losing inches is much better for you. Dr. Oz ( I know I know) and in women's health I've read that the more inches you lose, the healthier you are all around. So.. Good luck!
    Bridget
  • mysteryfoxes
    Options
    Starvation mode indeed. You need to eat. It may be tough, but honestly, eating healthy and enough will help keep your body healthy and the pounds will come off.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    That doesnt sound right to me. You are losing inches, and you are working out so you are gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, which could explain the fact that your not losing weight! I dont get why she would say that, but i'm not a trainer. I still think you shoudl be proud of yourself and not feel deflated! All those inches lost in no small task!!!!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Yea uhmm... You need to eat more ha. 700-800 isn't enough. I don't know how long you've been doing it, or your reason, so I can't comment on the state of your health, but I can tell you that its like prolonged fasting, and not healthy. Eating more will keep your metabolism at the speed it's meant to be at, keep hormones in check, fluids, etc. Important things.
  • cfer843625
    Options
    I personally am more concerned with my inches coming off.... yes, the lbs have to come off too in order to get to the goal weight but one needs to remember, muscle weighs more than fat, so you can be leaner without noticing the pounds falling off so fast....

just my opinion!! ;o)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If you are noticing inches go away, that is much better than the pounds! Your trainer must be an idiot, losing inches is much better for you. Dr. Oz ( I know I know) and in women's health I've read that the more inches you lose, the healthier you are all around. So.. Good luck!
    Bridget

Inches are GREAT to lose, but did you check her diary..?
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    it is true that eating less than 1200 calories puts your body into starvation mode (meaning it holds onto fat) I think what your trainer is meaning is that INITIALLY eating that few calories makes you lose water weight aka extra fluids in your body filters out. which isn't good because that will just come back with a regular meal or lots of water.. eating more healthy foods (and yes protein) and weight training will make you lose inches as well as pounds. because your fat cells turn to muscle cells!
    it makes sense if you think of it like this - "I'd rather be 150 pounds of solid muscle than 110 pounds of flabby-ness!" I try to think of it like that so i can not be so focused on the number on the scale, but in the way that my clothes fit and the way i feel and look.

source - (i am a strength instructor and also going to school in health science and radiology)
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Did the trainer say it was because you were losing too much in inches or that you lost too much weight in 30 days? Here's what I see from the data alone...in 30 days you lost 11.2 lbs which averages to 2.8 lbs per week. it is recommended that we do not lose more than 2 lbs per week because our body reacts badly to so much weight loss too quickly (i.e.starvation mode, etc).

Just my thoughts based on the data.

I know there are days we don't feel hungry enough to keep eating BUT we have to do it. so our bodies can function properly and continue the weight loss---in a healthy way.

I would definitely talk to your trainer and get clarification.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Yes! But you do need to eat more, 800 calories is not enough, especially if you are working out. I kickbox every other day and sometimes do a two-a-day, so I eat more than 1550 calories... You have to eat!!!! Healthy!!!!
  • arw3b3
    arw3b3 Posts: 52
    Options
    I am not losing many pounds at all...only about 3 in the past 3 weeks but from the 28th to the 4th I had lost 4.75 inches. I am trying really hard not to get discouraged by the pounds that are not coming off but I am happy about the inches. I am not sure why I am not losing the weight though.
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    I understand the frustration, trust me. I've been at this for a month and am losing inches instead of weight also, but I don't want to stay this weight forever! As of today, I decided to change my goal to a 1 pound loss per week instead of 1 and a half. MFP upped my calories from 1200 to 1390... not much of a difference, but I'm willing to try anything. Just know you're not alone and eventually something's gotta give!
  • nsciambi
    nsciambi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Your progress is wonderful, however, most people need a minimum of 1200 calories a day for basic functions (including muscle building and repairing). If you have a hard time reaching 1200 calories in day, try to eat an extra snack. Maybe a protein shake after your workout, some greek yogurt topped with granola, or an apple dipped in some peanut butter for an afternoon pick-me-up. Severe calorie deficits make get you great results in the beginning, but the low calorie intake will catch up with you.

Your trainer is hopefully certified and should know what is healthiest for your body. It sounds likes she's concerned that your body is using your existing muscle for fuel. You want to keep that muscle so that when the weight falls off, you'll be tight and toned.

Don't get discouraged, though! You had a great month! I don't know what a healthy number of inches lost in a mouth is, but you're right on track with your weight. And really, does eating more AND still losing weight sound like such a bad deal?
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    You really NEED to be eating at LEAST 1200 calories NET a day or you will (and it's sounding like you did) send your body into starvation mode. If you're doctor is telling you you're hurting yourself and need to eat more you should really listen. Your body needs a certain number of calories to fuel it through the day. If you aren't getting them, your body will hold onto what little you DO and turn it into fat stores so it has something to use as energy. If you eat MORE and bring your body out of starvation mode, then it won't NEED to hold onto every calorie you take in and it will start BURNING the fat you want to lose. If you aren't eating enough it just isn't healthy...
  • MaryS910
    MaryS910 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Just read one of my "pet peeve" expressions in this thread...MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT.
    Wrong. A pound of feathers and a pound of cement weigh the exact same amount- 1 pound.
    I think what you mean is that a pound of muscle is denser and takes up less area than a pound of fat.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    your right, muscle does not weigh more than fat. muscle cells are more dense (closer packed together) than fat cells. which means they take up less space.