Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Strength Training

Hi pals!

Ok I am thinking about switching up my exercise. Right now I do 60 minutes cardio and 15-25 mins weights. Been doing that for about a year now.

Should i do less cardio and more weights to shed more lbs??? or stick to high cardio?

Thanks,
Tameka

Replies

• How has weights worked for you? Do you notice a difference? I love going to the gym and working out for an hour on just cardio but I cant stand the strength training machines...too boring or something i dont know. Just curious since you have been doing them, does it really help or make a difference?
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    I still think both are required---maybe you could increase your weight and go slow and hard so that your muscles get good and strong to burn some fat even when you are not working out. I Love the cardio for the instant calorie burn and the great energy it provides me, not mention how good it is for our heart. But I also think 30-40 minutes is just as effective as 60.
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    I'm no expert but, I've had two very fit instructors tell me to switch up a few of my cardio days to concentrate on strength training and I'd see a change in my shape and weight. I'm partial to cardio like you but ST has changed me alot. Just look at the people who do P90X. It works :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    How has weights worked for you? Do you notice a difference? I love going to the gym and working out for an hour on just cardio but I cant stand the strength training machines...too boring or something i dont know. Just curious since you have been doing them, does it really help or make a difference?

Try free weights, where you are in control of the form. I love ChaLEAN Extreme DVD---she is so awesome at teaching technique and getting you strong to burn that fat 24/7
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    How has weights worked for you? Do you notice a difference? I love going to the gym and working out for an hour on just cardio but I cant stand the strength training machines...too boring or something i dont know. Just curious since you have been doing them, does it really help or make a difference?

Oh i love lifting! And love the results! gone from 23% body fat to 17%. Just curious as far as my lbs lost, if it'll be more if i do less cardio. but i think u should try it!
  • MeekMeals
    I'm no expert but, I've had two very fit instructors tell me to switch up a few of my cardio days to concentrate on strength training and I'd see a change in my shape and weight. I'm partial to cardio like you but ST has changed me alot. Just look at the people who do P90X. It works :)

Yeah p90 is awesome from what i see! i need to come up with a plan asap!!
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    I was told my many trainers muscle burn fats. I have changed my routine from less cardio to more strength training. I like the result (more tone and defintion).:laugh:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    Ditch the cardio and go for Cardio Strength Training also called Metabolic Resistance Training. It will burn a lot more fat than straight cardio and takes less time. I have pretty much stopped regularly doing cardio and primarily do Metabolic Resistance Training. Here is a blog post that explains it in more detail. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner/view/metabolic-resistance-training-86959 I do it primarily with body weight exercises even though I have weights. I will use the weight more in the future, but want to get good enough with body weight stuff that I can be able to workout whether I have equipment available or not.
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243

I was thinking of trying that supreme 90 day. It's $19 and looks like the same thing! lol. It was even recommended as one of the hottest new workouts by this fitday site on FB. Or maybe go back to Chalene Extreme. I prefer home weight workouts. I dislike machines and a trainer told me that using dumbbells or kettlebells is more natural for the body than machines. Just do something you like because no matter what you have to be enjoying it or you won't do it. lol. I think you look very toned already though.
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    I love Chalean Extreme I am on week three now, I also do BBL with Chalean (GREAT RESULTS).
  • MeekMeals

I was thinking of trying that supreme 90 day. It's $19 and looks like the same thing! lol. It was even recommended as one of the hottest new workouts by this fitday site on FB. Or maybe go back to Chalene Extreme. I prefer home weight workouts. I dislike machines and a trainer told me that using dumbbells or kettlebells is more natural for the body than machines. Just do something you like because no matter what you have to be enjoying it or you won't do it. lol. I think you look very toned already though.

Let me know how that supreme 90 works! that would be great if it works for $19!!! Thanks for the compliment, I still have the "infamous" trouble areas, yuck!
  • MeekMeals
    I love Chalean Extreme I am on week three now, I also do BBL with Chalean (GREAT RESULTS).

keep hearing good things about Chalean too!