Too much working out?

Options
Here's my thing.... I'm sure that there are some downsides and maybe even dangers to working out TOO much - and I know that I am currently not working out too much, but I'm feeling my body wanting to do it more and more - and I have a LONG ways to go. I think of shows like Biggest Loser--- and while I know that they are supervised.... they have a lot to lose so naturally they spend a lot of time working out.
My program right now has me going every other day but I started adding day in between - and on the in between days I take it easy so that I can stay on track with my program but then I find myself wanting to go again that day....

help.

Replies

• ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time taking off a full day of working out. It is fun!
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'd say working out everyday is fine, it's when you're working out multiple times a day that you should start being more careful. Work on getting to everyday workouts. If you still feel like you don't need the rest, then start with two-a-days.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i work out every day. even if its a walk around the block or the track, thats great exercise. it doesnt have to be organized exercise. i do my dvds every day, but they are anywhere from 20-55 minutes, but if im tired i walk. you just need to know how far to push yourself. i exercised a lot on tuesday and was exhausted on wednesday. i know what i did was too much, so i adjusted it for wednesday. today much better. you only can know how much is too much. i dont recommend working out 3 hours a day every day even if thats ok, i think thats definitely too much, but your body will tell you. good luck.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Your body will tell you if its too much. You'll just not feel good and your body will hurt. The BL people are working out 5-8 hours every day (but yes, supervised) so as long as you feel okay and don't have any underlying medical conditions, you should be okay :). Good for you for taking a liking to it! Its still a struggle for me.
  • tdexter
    tdexter Posts: 15
    Options
    I think you have been hooked by the exercise monster. It's like the Cookie Monster, cuddly and friendly like but less fattening :0)
    I'm the same, one day away from it and I'm itching to go. I have been mixing things up running, swimming and cycling with some P90X thrown in.
    I think its OK as long as you look after yourself and make sure you are eating enough to sustain yourself. I do not eat all my cals back. After an hour in the saddle on our hills I'm at around a 1000 cals. I don't think I could eat that much anymore :0)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    working out every day is fine but there is just no need to overdo it. It is a lot easier in life for the long-term to adjust your "diet" and concentrate more on consumign high quality foods than it is to exercise for 2 or 3 hours a day like they do on BL. I workout no more than 45 mins a day and it is light to moderate exercise only---
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is workout extremely hard (HIIT type training) one day, then the next do a light workout and a bunch of stretching. This is the pattern that will help you recover quicker. Also make sure you take at least one day off. Just so you know, unless you are in really bad shape were walking is something that will really work you, counting a walk with friends or family as your exercise is counter productive. For me, walking more than half a year ago was an exercise, now it is part of life.
  • remembertheharddrive
    remembertheharddrive Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I used to work out "too much" you might say. I'd go to the gym 2-3 times a day - morning, evening, and sometimes squeeze in a run at lunch. I loved every minute since I was doing lots of diverse things, but after a while I just completely wiped out my body. You'll notice it in the small things. My trainer gently told me to cut back, and once I did, I felt far more refreshed. Shorter more potent workouts did wonders for both my progress and strength. There is definitely such a thing as doing too much - you overtax your muscles and don't give them time to recover, which in the end, impedes your efforts.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I walk every day, in short 20-30 minute spurts about 2 to 3 times a day. I enjoy it alot, and I never thought I would be saying that about any kind of physical activity! I only work out to a dvd about once or twice a week.
  • janaglass
    janaglass Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    working out everyday is perfectly fine!! i would not, however, run everyday when are you just starting out because it can be very hard on your body and especially when you are still learning (body wise) how to use those muscles-you don't want to risk injuring yourself so early and especially when you're enjoying it. Also, when you get to the point where you're doing long runs (5 miles or more) you definitely don't want to do those back to back. Like you said-biggest loser is supervised so they get to do insane things that we can't normally do. However, like everyone has already said-your body will let you know what is too much. What I used to do (which I am trying to get back into now that I am not pregnant) is run every other day and on my "off" days from running, I worked on strength training. Legs and hips one day, abs and arms the next time, back and forth back and forth. That way I knew I was doing a holistic workout and my whole body was getting trained-hence faster results. Also, going back and forth from cardio to strength REALLY helped my cardio. So NO-working out everyday is NOT too much. Buuuuuuuuuut.....definitely don't feel like you have to work out if you want to skip a day. A day off here and there does a body good :)

You're amazing Mel and doing so so well!!!!