Trying to shed the last 15lbs is kicking my butt...

Options
I have lost 90lbs and am currently 15lbs away from reaching my goal of 135. It is proving to be a pain in the rear. Any ideas or suggestions on things I can do?

Replies

• mfront
    mfront Posts: 1
    Options
    either make peace with it or eat less and move more.
    good luck.
  • littlewatty1980
    littlewatty1980 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am with you there. I am on my last 20 pounds. I am starting to really watch my calorie intake while training for a marathon. Hoping that will do it. I usually don't watch my calories as much with the endurance running. I have held the 80ish pounds off for a year and a half and want thelast 20 off before the marathon in september. Good luck to you! I think the last few is the hardest!
  • ErikN
    ErikN Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I hit a plateau, I usually try and workout like a madman for a couple days, 1000+ calories each day, and then make sure to try and eat all of those calories each day with healthy protein-rich food. Seems to kickstart the ol' metabolism a bit. This has no basis in science, just my own meandering thoughts and experiences. :)
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Right there with you--I'm 15 away and have gained and lost the same 3 lbs for like 4 weeks now! SO frustrating. If you find anything that helps let me know. I've heard alot of people say to eat more, but I know that for me, that would make me gain and I'd get (even more) discouraged and give up, even if it did lead to a long term loss (I am more for instant gratification...). Lol.
  • ngolston
    ngolston Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm not in your situation yet but I wanted to say good luck!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to your goal you need to 1) Raise your calories so your goal is .5 to 1 pound a week, the closer you get the lower that goal should be as your body wants to hold onto that fat. You need to make it more and more comfortable with losing. 2) Change up your exercise a lot, maybe no more than two weeks of the same exercise program. 3) Get away from long duration cardio (sort of hard for an endurance runner) and use HIIT more often or Metabolic Resistance Training. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner/view/metabolic-resistance-training-86959

I am now within 10, and expecting it will take a while to get their, but the inches keep coming off, and the pounds as well, but slowly.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was just reading on calories and how to avoid a plateau here is a site if you go to the bottom or even type in your info and read further and it talk about it and gives an example.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it works yet but I have stopped trying to lose and am working on maintaining for a few weeks, then I plan on giving it a go to drop another 5 or 10.
  • gumby101ca
    gumby101ca Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    here is some things that i have read on beating the plateau, So i copied the best ones for yous !!

1) Increase your caloric intake slightly to provide more fuel for your body to burn.
    2) Drink more water to help stabilize your metabolism.
    3) Add more protein and fiber to your diet to help your body’s metabolic functions.
    4) Eat more frequent, smaller meals so your body’s metabolism can stay constant and burn more calories.
    5) Vary one of your snacks; instead of eating a carbohydrate as a snack, eat a protein.

Exercise Strategies:

1) Add strength training to your exercise routine. Strength training builds more lean body mass, which leads to higher metabolism.

2) Vary your exercise routine. If you usually do 30 minutes on a treadmill, do 30 minutes on a stationary bike instead. Or, you can vary your routine by day. If you usually do a bike 5 days a week, do the treadmill three days a week and a stair machine two days a week.

3) Decrease your exercise time, and increase your exercise intensity. Instead of running on the treadmill for 30 minutes, do 20 minutes at a higher speed.

4) Increase the frequency of your exercising. If you are working out three days a week, add a fourth day.

5) Play a sport, rollerblade, skateboard, or just incorporate something different into your routine. Most sports you play will target different muscle groups than exercising alone does.

Weight loss plateaus are no doubt extremely frustrating, but using one or more of the above strategies should pull you out of your slump and put you back on track to achieve your target weight!
  • valproulx
    valproulx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will def keep your tips in mind. I am def going to hit it hard for a few days and try to push through my plateau. I am going to change things up and see what works.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I subscribed to Jillian Michaels' free newsletter which contains answers and tips for all sorts of situations and discovered that I was practically clueless as to how our bodies actually work! Here is the link:

http://www.jillianmichaels.com/newsletters/the-fitness-factor.aspx

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mapache
    mapache Posts: 1
    Options
    I have recently had some success with high intensity workouts.

Going 5-6 minutes at various cardio machines for about 45 minutes in total . I have been using the Stairmaster, Ellipitcal, and Treadmill. It's the High Intensity that seals the deal.

So, alternate 5-6 mintues at each machine at a level 8 (out of 10) or higher at each machine. Only allowing 1-2 mintues of rest in between.

Maybe you'lll have some luck with this like I have been having.

Good luck!