Emotional Eating...

Options
So food has been my crutch all my life. Tonight I was called fat by two kids playing basket ball. I really hate the way I feel about myself and I feel like the world is crashing down on me with all the other things going on in my life. I have replaced pop with water (sometimes I drink pop like 2x's a week diet or sprite). Just feel like giving up on myself. Its not something that is easy. I feel alone and gave up last year on myself. Food has been the addiction I can't break. My childhood was bad so food fixed everything for me. Now I get more excited about eating than anything else.

Replies

• daniellefsc
    daniellefsc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to those kids....I understand it's hard not to, but remember that everyone on this site is here to support you. Prior to MFP, I'd eat junk food when I was upset or annoyed about something, but then I realized it's not worth it. It's hard to not give in when feeling emotional, but I've been trying to go for a walk or to the gym to let off some steam. Hope this helps.

DON'T GIVE UP!!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You’re not alone in this. Most of us on this journey are here because of our emotional attachment to food. A friend of mine wrote an amazing post about the emotional drive to binge. I think you may find some wisdom in her words: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sophiajackson99/view/the-binge-86705

But more than anything, you must know that you can choose to find power in something other than food. You can stop numbing and hushing your spirit, your sadness, your grief, and your disappointment in food. There is freedom in being free to feel. In being free to be sad, and angry, and bored. You are allowed to feel. You do not have to quiet with food.

Best of luck on your journey. There are many of us who have been there, who are there, and who work to no longer be there every day.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place sweetie....please don't fret over what some rude kids say, we all have issues that we need to overcome at some point in our lives. If you start to learn to love you, regardless of the number on the scale you'll see that you can overcome anything...even food addiction.

The best place to start is with a plan...not a complicated, too quick crash, but a can-do daily schedule. Get a pedometer and plan out all your meals and snacks...eat small portions 5 - 6 times a day :tongue:

You already have a good water plan...just make certain to get half your weight in ounces (good rule of thumb) and keep moving :love:

Most of all love yourself, be kind to yourself and treat your body with dignity and respect. You're entire outlook will change significantly, just keep things simple. Don't ever give up on yourself....you may just be the inspiration someone else is looking for. :flowerforyou:

Oh, and one more thing.....YOU HAVE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL EYES!
  • queenkimie
    Options
    Miss Yolanda is right! Most of us are here for the same reason as you. I also had childhood abuse issues, as well as restricted foods.
    ( they thought my sister was too fat, so they wouldn't let us eat. tmi I know, but obvisously it bcame a "thing" ) It would be the only thing that got me outta bed in the morning, thinking about what I could eat for breakfast. While it's really hard, and I don't succeed somtimes, hating yourself only makes it worse, because what do we do to feel less fat? Eat! It's just insanity lol but that's the way my mind worked.
    I found a lot of love and healing from Marianne Willamson's book, A course in Wieght Loss. There were a few things in there that were a little out there, but I just failed that lesson :) Mostly what has helped me is a simple prayer that says something like, return my mind to sanity and heal my body. It's become a little mantra of mine and has helped me bring myself out of binge eating mentality.
    Remember that change is hard and change takes time and this is a process...it will NOT happen overnight, much to my annoyance! Congrats to you on getting on here and posting. You are not alone sister :):smooched:
  • kathott
    kathott Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    First off, I am very sorry that you are having a crappy day! People can be idiots...and heartless. It's unfortunate that they feel the need to bully someone else. Bullies are weak!! The only thing you can do is try to laugh it off by telling yourself that these are weak and useless people and you are the stronger one. My suggestion would be to channel your anger or feelings into exercise. seriously, go for a walk ....you will feel better.
    Remember you are the only person that matters in this picture. You can only control how you react. I am concerned because I hear
    some depression maybe happening here and it might not be a bad idea to seek out some advice/help from someone who can
    give you some real coping mechanisms.
    We, here at MFP, of course are here to support you as much as possible.
    I can't relate to your lousy childhood but I can relate to bad things that happen to you. At some point in your life, you need to decide to take a step away from the bad influence in your life and decide to make a positive future for yourself. Sometimes that comes with age but I would suggest that you speak with someone who professionally deals with things like this.
    Ultimately, please do not give up on yourself. that will not solve the problem just worsen it. If there is one thing you can control in your life, let it be the decision to give yourself a terrific life. you deserve it.....hang in there. I hope only good things for you.....
    Kathleen
  • highland_sky
    highland_sky Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I completely understand that - it is another form of addiction, just not one that hurts others as much as it hurts you. There are some great books that may help - Gennene (sp) Roth. It is something that I have struggled with and have spent many hours alone as a result. Hang in here.... it is a hard, slow and very possible journey.
  • BatCola
    BatCola Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I never thought of it that way. If I give up it will not solve the problem. I appreciate everyone's insight food is my addiction I know it is. I agree with a girl who told me you HAVE to eat at least 3 times a day whereas any other substance you can throw down like alcohol. I am so proud of two friends of mine. My husband tells me I don't love myself? I never was taught how to love myself other than food. (or clothes)...
  • BatCola
    BatCola Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place sweetie....please don't fret over what some rude kids say, we all have issues that we need to overcome at some point in our lives. If you start to learn to love you, regardless of the number on the scale you'll see that you can overcome anything...even food addiction.

The best place to start is with a plan...not a complicated, too quick crash, but a can-do daily schedule. Get a pedometer and plan out all your meals and snacks...eat small portions 5 - 6 times a day :tongue:

You already have a good water plan...just make certain to get half your weight in ounces (good rule of thumb) and keep moving :love:

Most of all love yourself, be kind to yourself and treat your body with dignity and respect. You're entire outlook will change significantly, just keep things simple. Don't ever give up on yourself....you may just be the inspiration someone else is looking for. :flowerforyou:

Oh, and one more thing.....YOU HAVE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL EYES!

Thanks about the eyes comment I focused so much on the neg stuff I didn't see this part.