< 1000 calories a day....is it really healthy??

Options
13»

Replies

• becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My net cals is usually around 1000. I have a hard time when I excercise to eat the 600 cals back. I can easily eat it back with junk but would rather not. Veggies and fruit are not high in cals and I worry about the sugar in all the fuit if I eat a lot of it. I guess I need some ideas on what others eat to gain back their excercise cals. I don't feel like I am starving myself, I actually feel quite full most nights. Eating 1500 cals a day seems okay to me even if my net cals is at 1000?
  • brapuk
    brapuk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eat between 800 and 1150 a day is that bad? Like alot of other people say, i only eat when im hungry now. instead of when im bored, sad, or heck even happy. 25 lbs of weight gain was from quiting smoking 7 months ago. My eating habits have never been great. I was raised in a family where we had a little veggies with our meat. Not a little meat with our veggies. But now i feel up on veggies and drink AT LEAST 8 8oz glasses of water. I carry my water bottle everywhere now. When my Dr. ask me what my intake was i told her between 800-1150 she said i was doing great. So does this mean my Doctor is wrong? Am i suppose to get a 2nd opinion?
  • frustration
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this site. I've been reading all the comments and now i have a few questions/ concerns.
    I aim to eat 1000 - 1200 calories per day and WITHOUT any exercise I burn 1,702 calories.
    Im a 5'4 female and weigh 195 lbs. I'm trying to get down to my pre baby weight of about 120 lbs.
    Is it bad that I'm having a hard time even reaching 1000 calories per day?

i usually eat 6 - 8 times a day and have lots of vegetables and 1 apple a day
    i drink 1-4 bottles of water daily but usually i drink tea without any sugar or milk.

I have a really hard time getting to eat more calories because i do actually become full. Even when I do feel to eat something I only want something sweet so I drink tea/water.

My question is: How bad is that for my body?
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When I went to the doc on 1/11, I weighed 197, when I went back three weeks ago, I am down to 183. Doc asked how I am doing it and told him I had seen a nutritionist and was staying at 1300 calories/day. he said that I could drop down to 1000 and lose quicker, that's what he tells people that he prescribes diet pills to. My reply is that those people have narcotics telling them they are not hungry, I'll stick with my 1300
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I eat between 800 and 1150 a day is that bad? Like alot of other people say, i only eat when im hungry now. instead of when im bored, sad, or heck even happy. 25 lbs of weight gain was from quiting smoking 7 months ago. My eating habits have never been great. I was raised in a family where we had a little veggies with our meat. Not a little meat with our veggies. But now i feel up on veggies and drink AT LEAST 8 8oz glasses of water. I carry my water bottle everywhere now. When my Dr. ask me what my intake was i told her between 800-1150 she said i was doing great. So does this mean my Doctor is wrong? Am i suppose to get a 2nd opinion?

It depends on how well you are watching your nutrients (macro and micro) apart from the calories, that I think people underestimate generally, the absolute number for carbs, protein, fat and for micronutrients like minerals are very low, so you have to make every calorie count. I restrict my calories drastically (like you, below the 1000 calorie mark), but I do so for a clinical study and I do it under medical supervision, because the margins are so small.
  • lodro
    Options
    10 x your goal weight does seem about right. Considering I'm only 5'2 a 1300 calorie diet isn't much of a deficit.

For me that would be 650 calories a day then. That's insane. But yes, if you're not tall and you want to lose weight, often 1200 calories (plus underestimated calories, which might make it nearer to 1500) is not a lot.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    10 x your goal weight does seem about right. Considering I'm only 5'2 a 1300 calorie diet isn't much of a deficit.

For me that would be 650 calories a day then. That's insane. But yes, if you're not tall and you want to lose weight, often 1200 calories (plus underestimated calories, which might make it nearer to 1500) is not a lot.

650 calories a day? I think they were saying you should eat 10x the weight you want to be... if that is 650 then you only want to weigh 65lbs? I have heard that from quite a few people, eat 10x your goal weight, if you want to weigh 150 then eat 1500 calories a day 130=1300 calories a day and so on.
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Maybe that person thought you meant kg and wants to be 65kg?

If you're meant to eat 10x your goal weight, then I'm supposed to eat 1000 calories a day... And my goal weight is my current weight, so I'm over-eating?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Please help me understand how someone says they struggle to eat 1000 or 1200 calories and end up needing to lose weight? I have wondered everytime I see someone write that.

It can happen.

If you used to get a lot of your calories from liqiuids, if you used to skip meals, if you were formerly a grazer, if you eat mainly calorie-dense foods instead of simple carbs, if you don't work out much, etc.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Please help me understand how someone says they struggle to eat 1000 or 1200 calories and end up needing to lose weight? I have wondered everytime I see someone write that.
    I dunno about everyone else but I find I'm eating a much larger quantity of food now that I'm eating properly instead of having chocolate, crisps and cake for meals because I can't be bothered making a meal just for one person. 2 bars of chocolate and 2 bags of crisps may be more calories than say chicken, potatoes and veg but it's also a much smaller quantity of food. Then there's the drinks, I'm drinking water now but before I was drinking coke and other sweet and/or fizzy drinks.

The medication I was on was partly to blame for my weight gain as I was gaining anything up to 6lbs a week eating properly but the last 6-8 months I was on it I gave up and ate what I wanted when I wanted which obviously didn't help.
  • lodro
    Options

650 calories a day? I think they were saying you should eat 10x the weight you want to be... if that is 650 then you only want to weigh 65lbs? I have heard that from quite a few people, eat 10x your goal weight, if you want to weigh 150 then eat 1500 calories a day 130=1300 calories a day and so on.
    Oops, I'm european. So we measure in kilograms, not pounds. Hence the confusion: 65 kilograms. Hmmm My bad.