Wisdom Teeth Removal - What to Eat?

Options
Hi all,

I just got my wisdom teeth out and of course the question that haunts all of us is "what to eat???" I just thought I'd post what I found helpful, healthful and yummy so others don't have to panic. If you have been through it too, please add what you ate!

I ate:

- yogurt mixed with protein powder
- smoothies, made with seedless fruits (bananas, mangoes, pineapple, melon, blueberries if you blend them really well)
- Bolthouse farms fruit drinks! Yum. Green Power, and carrot juice.
- V8 tomato drinks (low in sodium ones, and that one with fibre).
- pureed anything, haha, I didn't mind pureed peas
- sherbert! a nice alternative to ice cream.
- apple sauce
- mashed potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes
- scrambled eggs ( I started eating solids again after three days, very very soft solids)

Remember to stay away from anything with small pieces (rice, quinoa) or with seeds (berries, some breads) - bits can get stuck in the wounds and cause an infection. Also remember no straws! You must slurp your smoothies, or maneuver a spoon (not as easy as it sounds).

To all those getting their wisdom teeth out, good luck! Hope this helps!

Replies

• Sarawoods
    Sarawoods Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed around Christmas, I ate a lot of mashed potatoes, Dressing ^_^ Ice cream, pudding, jello, .. I tried to eat chicken soup and man it stung like crazy on the sockets >.< ,
  • biggerpix
    biggerpix Posts: 96
    Options
    When I had mine out 15 years ago or more I don't remember eating anything for days.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    - yogurt mixed with protein powder
    - smoothies, made with seedless fruits (bananas, mangoes, pineapple, melon, blueberries if you blend them really well)
    - Bolthouse farms fruit drinks! Yum. Green Power, and carrot juice.
    - V8 tomato drinks (low in sodium ones, and that one with fibre).
    - pureed anything, haha, I didn't mind pureed peas
    - sherbert! a nice alternative to ice cream.
    - apple sauce
    - mashed potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes
    - scrambled eggs ( I started eating solids again after three days, very very soft solids)

sounds like a good list.
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ya i lived off of mashed potatoes with garlic, and ice cream and chocolate pudding. this was before i started on MFP so i wasnt worrying about what i was eating. But at a time like that i say eat what u can because you become so hungry otherwise :(
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    bump.
    I am getting all four taken out next month. Thanks for the tips on what to eat :-)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    cream of wheat, chicken noodle soup mixed with milk, and sonic ice cream without the candy ;)
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    When I had mine out the surgeon accidentally cut between my nasal cavity and my mouth... I couldn't eat for days and the doctor had to put this weird stuff in my mouth. Finally I could keep down a frosty from wendys.
  • GGut
    GGut Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i would eat pain pills :P haha. thats only cause my dentist said that my wisdom teeth roots go up into my brain. he keeps telling mei need to get em out. i keep putting it off. :)

yes, im an idiot.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed when I was around 17 so @ that point I weighed bout 220ish so I freakin ate hamburgers, mashed potatoes, and anything else in sight. I remember eatin a hamburger within the first 2 days of having them removed. And @ that time I ate instant mashed potatoes everyday.

Needless to say that was 75lbs ago! So, that's what I ate and I don't recommend anyone else eatin the way I once did.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I had mine out, ten years ago, my painkillers made me nauseous, and there wasn't much I could keep down. To this day, I gag at the thought of drinking a Slim Fast shake.

Mashed potatoes mixed with Cheez Whiz was my go-to food. I craved starch more than anything! That and Mountain Dew. :laugh:
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Wine? Calories plus numbing agent ;)
  • annastacia10
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for the suggestions.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    well i had just things that were soft.
    like Popsicle, potato soup, and chicken soup. i just never ate the chicken.

but that what i did... i didnt know what to eat. nor was i really that hungry... oh and had plenty of water.

oh and jello. i stayed away from anything that was dairy.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    7 years ago (when I was 30) i had all my teeth pulled because they were in such bad shape. I got dentures....blah...anyways, after getting that many teeth pulled at once, I could only basically do a liquid diet. So began my low sodium Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup diet with a liquid Vicodin shot chaser! I lost 30lbs in 2 weeks! lol Not the best way to lose weight, but I really had no other options at that point!:bigsmile:
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I lived off of jello, scrambled eggs, and milkshakes/slushies from Wawa..

Just don't use a straw!!!!! You can get dry socket, I'm still not sure waht that is but my best friends boyfriend got it and he said the dry socket hurt worse than the actual wisdom teeth removal pain.
    And make sure you take your vicodin (or whatever painkiller) with something in your belly... I didn't because I just wasn't hungry and was miserable and ended up getting sick off it.

Wisdom teeth is the worst but it gave me an excuse to sleep for a week and hog the tv :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had dry socket, on both sides. It SUCKED!!! It's when a clot can't form properly in the hole where the tooth was removed. I got it from throwing up from the pain pills.

It felt like being kicked in the face by a donkey. Except the pain of getting kicked would eventually fade. And naturally, it developed over the weekend when I couldn't go see the oral surgeon. He did phone in a 'script for Percocet (sp?) which didn't take away the pain, but I did stop caring about the pain! :laugh:

Once I saw the surgeon, and he packed it with the clove stuff, the pain was immediately gone. Amazing. :smile: But what was more amazing was seeing how long that packing stuff was when he removed it later. It was like a clown's hankerchief! It kept coming and coming and coming!!!
  • Jentorres2024
    Options
    I just had ALL four of my wisdom tooth and a reg tooth pulled today. I haven't ate anything since yesterday:cry: and now I'm soo hungry I'm craving all sorts of weird things. I tried to eat ice-cream but I can't..it's to painful. I finally sent my husband to the store to get me a slim fast to curve my food cravings for the next week. I can't take the pain killers so I have to be careful as not to set off my now sensitive mouth.
  • alliewondaland
    Options
    I had tooth 17 extracted 30 hours ago. The first 20 hours were hellish. Last night and this morning all I ate was Chicken Broth and Jello. Just a few hours ago I added mashed potatoes and vanilla ice cream to my meal list. I also bought vanilla pudding, apple sauce and Popsicles. I've been drinking water, apple Juice and I had a mug of cocoa (warm not hot). The vanilla ice cream has been the best so far so I'll probably live off that for the next week. I also meant to buy yogurt minus fruit on the bottom. Smoothies sound like a wonderful idea as some other posters mentioned. I was debating on buying bananas but wasn't sure so maybe I'll get some bananas and make banana milkshakes and smoothies.