What set you on this journey?

Options
Karleyyy
Karleyyy Posts: 857
What was going on in the moment you decided to start this lifestyle change? What was the final straw?

For me, I had been the heaviest I had ever been and I just got disgusted with myself. I looked really unattractive, and I was sick of trying to cover it up. Sick of feeling embarrassed in public.

Replies

• shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    for me was seeing how large my arms looked in pictures and not being able to hide my back fat with shape wear! yuk....no $$ for lipo so "I" had to do something about it ...
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    What was going on in the moment you decided to start this lifestyle change? What was the final straw?

For me, I had been the heaviest I had ever been and I just got disgusted with myself. I looked really unattractive, and I was sick of trying to cover it up. Sick of feeling embarrassed in public.

The EXACT thing you just said.
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Being my heaviest weight, not being able to go up and down the stairs in my house without being out of breath and knowing that I have to wear a sleeveless bridesmaid's dress in June for my best friends wedding...those are just the excuses...it was time and it had to happen, so here I am!!
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    For me it was my husband telling me that I acted like I didn't even care about myself anymore. . .it took a little while after that because at first I was mad but deep-down I knew he was right and I finally got back to taking care of me again.
  • misrical
    misrical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Seeing a picture of myself at the beach, you know the ones where you aren't trying to suck in your gut cause you don't realize there is a picture being taken :P
    I saw it and I looked like I was about to deliver twins.....
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the back fat...uggghhh....I really hate back fat!!
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    for me, it was getting winded evertime I played with my 2 yr old...well, that and the guilt i felt for making my hubby do all the chores around the house cuz I was always too tired to do it :indifferent:
  • PenguinPrincess
    Options
    My boyfriend was texting/exchanging pictures with his ex girlfiend who just happened to be super skinny :(
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    2 things: seeing myself in a picture of about 30 women at a party at my house (by far the biggest one there)...and my daughter really reaming me out and asking me "Since when did you stop caring about yourself?"
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    looking at myself in photos, years of delusional thinking that I just can't do it, being humiliated by myself, almost destroying my relationship because I hated myself, being the biggest i've ever been.

and the big one, never fitting into clothes. I'm short, so the big girl clothes are too big on me, and the normal sized clothes didn't fit me, so i was in no mans land where nothing fit me, and what did fit me, i hated the look of....

it's only taken 10kg to get back into normal sized clothes again, and i have a way to go, but at least i can go shopping and know i can fit into normal sized, normal priced clothes.
  • Karleyyy
    Options
    My boyfriend was texting/exchanging pictures with his ex girlfiend who just happened to be super skinny :(

I really hope he isn't your boyfriend anymore, darling! You do not deserve that, no matter what.
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I was back up to my heaviest size and my "big" clothes were tight. My husband and I are also getting ready to adopt and still TTC so I want to get healthy for my future children- they deserve a healthy mom!
  • Karleyyy
    Options
    I was back up to my heaviest size and my "big" clothes were tight. My husband and I are also getting ready to adopt and still TTC so I want to get healthy for my future children- they deserve a healthy mom!

That is so awesome! I would love to adopt someday!
  • realia
    realia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm going to college next year and I realized I'm the only one out of my middle school class that hasn't changed much physically during high school. I don't want to be "the chubby friend" anymore. Plus, I'm into acting, theater, film, dance, etc. I want to be fit so I can gain more confidence. Confidence is key in acting. I can't act well if I'm so insecure about my weight and how I look.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I looked sideways in a mirror and saw my belly sticking out farther than my boobs. Yuck!

Really... it was pregnancy then exclusively pumping then a broken kneecap and recovery. Got started with the exercise as soon as I could (was terrified of losing milk supply so didn't exercise much) and the dietary changes just kind of go along with exercise for me.
  • jenh1101
    jenh1101 Posts: 45
    Options
    For me it was being the heaviest I'd ever been while not being pregnant and being tired of not fitting into my clothes and seeing how I looked in pictures.
    Since I've started this, I've realized how inactive I was and how I was missing out on fun with my kids because I didn't have the energy to get out and really play with them the way I should.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I saw an add in Parents Magazine one Sunday afternoon. Thought it would be "fun" to track what I was eating and "graph" my progress. Ha! Little did I know what I was getting myself into but I'm so glad I stumbled on this site and made some decisions to change my life!
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I would have to say, exactly the same as you. I was heavy and felt disgusted with myself and how I looked. Not happy with thinking about how others saw me. So, I had to make a change. Best of luck to you.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    the double takes and looks i got from family who (whom?) i hadn't seen in 10 years. after that i started realizing all kinds of things that i just hadn't noticed before. it wasn't that chili's was making restaurants with smaller booths, i was getting bigger. Chevy wasn't making trucks with the steering column closer to the seat, i was getting closer to the steering column. There wasn't a conspiracy to make seat belts shorter, i was just getting too big to buckle them. looking back its actually kinda funny, and sad, all the excuses i was making when in reality i was just fat.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and my arm fat.

And the fear of a high BMI leading to heart disease.

Plus, I want my mom to love me.