How to fight the urge to snack at night

Options
I'm new to this, and one of my biggest struggles is definitely going to be not snaking at night. I know it's best to not snack late at night, but I'm a night person -- most nights I stay up til midnight(ish) lol, and I snack... Any advice appreciated! Thank you in advance ;)

Replies

• radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm up trying to finish a project for work. I'm not hungry, but I just want to chew. I'm chomping away on a stick of sugar-free gum.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this, and one of my biggest struggles is definitely going to be not snaking at night. I know it's best to not snack late at night, but I'm a night person -- most nights I stay up til midnight(ish) lol, and I snack... Any advice appreciated! Thank you in advance ;)

i'm up till midnight too and just keep busy and not think of food!! you could snack on lite popcorn though if it's that bad of a craving!..lol..
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    protein makes you the most full..it's my new obsession. anything that is at least 10g of protein per serving is pretty good... 20g is way better but to get that much you usually have to eat either a lot of something or use a protein powder or clif bars. either way, if you add some protein powder at around 130 calories for 20g to whatever you eat closest to dinner time you will be very full and you really won't feel hungry at all.

this only helps if you snack because you're 'slightly hungry' - something i do a lot. give it a try. if that doesn't work, drink a lot of water. i make tea and it's no calories but i feel like it's another food when i make it so i don't feel deprived.

just my tips.
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of breaking the habit. You can go 2 ways, cold turkey or perhaps lighten up your snack in the evenings. Maybe limit your snack to a certain amount of calories. Before you know it, your body will get used to it and you won't have to fight the urge anymore.
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i'm up pretty late too and i ALWAYS have the urge to snack. what helps me is drinking lots of water. and if the urge is too strong then i'll have a healthy snack like grapes or something. self control is key i guess. good luck!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    that has always been my problem....working out at night keeps me away!!
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    I always save some room to eat at night since I'm a night owl ;). It's actually perfectly fine to eat at night. I experimented to see if I would gain weight "eating after 7" and that didn't happen at all. I like to have a yogurt or some cottage cheese. They both are high in protein and keep me satisfied until I have to sleep =)
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    sometimes our bodies mistake thirst for hunger. maybe try increasing you water intake? also, are you eating all of your calories and your workout calories?
  • christina_theresa
    Options
    sometimes our bodies mistake thirst for hunger. maybe try increasing you water intake? also, are you eating all of your calories and your workout calories?

haha, i mean hunger for thirst ;)
  • natwolfe
    natwolfe Posts: 1
    Options
    This is so my biggest problem too! It stems from habit more than actually hunger. I unwind from work and sit to catch up with my shows and snack. Well I keep handy 100 cal snack packs around if really am hungry, but I've been trying to stop the habits altogether. Come home and read (snacking while reading kind of distracts me) or I come home and make tea. I've been buying a new variety of teas to try. So instead of buying snacks that will only tempt me at night, I buy different kinds of hot tea and enjoy. Helps me calm down before bed and I sleep better because my stomach isn't working on food. Find out the reasons for the compulsion and it will be easier to avoid those situation and change habits.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I get home late at night. I work late shifts so my evening after work time is around midnight to 3am. I snack on cucumbers with lemon and chili, strawberries, grapes. Anything small that has you munching but won't break the calorie bank. Dieting doesn't mean not eating. As a Diabetic I snack every 3 hours. I have yet to starve! :)
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the quick replies!!!
    So chewing gum, drinking water, tea (I'm guessing w/o sugar, hehe), fruits to snack on, working out at night, and realizing I will adjust w/time! Thank you, hope this topic helps others too. I'll try all of these tips and see how I do! :)
  • christina_theresa
    Options
    Good Luck!! :)
  • Winstonandgilly
    Options
    I agree with happy_vegan. Tea at night curbs my hunger. I buy multi-packs with a variety of flavors to keep i interesting, and it gives me something to prepare. And its calorie-free!
  • mccaugkm
    mccaugkm Posts: 29
    Options
    I have this problem too. I've made a mental note that I'm not going to eat anything after 8pm (with the exception of Wednesdays when I don't get off work until 8). I keep a bottle of water with me at all times, and I have some Extra Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream gum on my desk. My favorite ice cream in a stick of gum :) Makes my chompers happy biting something, and keeps my belly empty.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I drink water...or take a bath, being naked has the greatest way of making me realize why I don't need that late night snack. I'd rather look cute naked. Or I just go to bed early. That's about the only things that every work for me personally...
  • jaia07
    jaia07 Posts: 22
    Options
    hot drinks help you feel full... green tea is good, chicken broth also kind of feels like food, although it has lots of sodium, so look out for that. If you're really starving, you couls go for some veggies or a couple fibre crackers... Apparently protein doesn't metabolize to fat at night, so you could try a serving of protein.

If you really can't break the habit, just conpensate by eating lighter during the day to "save" calories for later.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth
    put on flavored lip gloss