Upcoming colonoscopy

Options
How wonderful! I have the opportunity to undergo this exam in 3 weeks.
The prep starts on Wednesday night with a "light supper."
Nothing but clear liquids on Thursday, and the laxatives start Thursday night.
No intake after midnight Thursday.
The exam is Friday morning.

Questions:
Should I pig out at lunch on Wednesday, eating Thursday's allowance?
Should I pig out AFTER the exam on Friday, eating 3 meal's worth on Friday night?
Both?
Neither, that is, just eat normally, and ignore the food abstinence?

Replies

• AKFatBoy
    AKFatBoy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's gonna suck, sorry, bro.

If you can handle it, I think I'd try to maintain what you're doing as much as possible. The missing calories will probably for the most part go unnoticed by your body. After that, though, I'd say you've earned a Skinny Cow ice cream sammich or two...

:noway:
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You will definitely feel like eating after the procedure. I had to drink this stuff all night and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I know someone that they gave pills to take. I would say that was the better route. I was out during the procedure...so didn't feel a thing.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Don't pig out before. You could make it more difficult to get "cleaned"out. After I would eat regular as your insides will be rather irritated from the medications they give you. Maybe even some yogurt to rebalance your gi tract
  • stephding
    stephding Posts: 16
    Options
    I had one in my early 20's. Don't pig out before. Sometimes your stomach may digest slowly and then no matter how much you "empty" from the fun drink you get, you may end up with poor prep and they won't be able to see as much as they'd like. However, afterwards, when all the "air" the pump in is gone, you'll be hungry. Feel free to treat yourself, but I wouldn't pig out. But a treat wouldn't hurt.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Hi Don.
    I just had one done in January.
    I didn't eat heavier before or the day of prep. You'll do well not to either. Less to clean out! :bigsmile:
    The day of the colonoscopy, when I returned home, I just ate my regular meals.

My mom gave me a tip ... start your laxatives earlier in the day. I took my first one at 11 am but after lunch would be good too.
    This way you'll start cleaning out earlier and you'll be able to sleep through the night.
    My mom followed the instructions to start later and she paid for it all night.

Good luck! It was a piece of cake and didn't take long at all. I was pleasantly surprised.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Don't want to create a new thread for this.

I was just going to be secret and private about this, but I'm sitting at my desk with my stomach growling.
    I have a :laugh:coughcoloonscopycough:laugh: tomorrow morning.

Today I am supposed to have clear fluids, soup, water, gatorade etc.
    I had some eggs this morning, but was told no bulky food.

I will have some soup (without the noodles/meat) today for lunch.
    I have soup at home for this evening, and got ginger ale, and apple juice. Never really drank gatorade, but might pick up a bottle of that as well.

Anything else I am missing to help me through today, as my stomach just keeps growling over and over again.