Cracked heels....help!!

Options
My heels have always been in bad shape but today it is painful to walk because of the dry cracked calloused heels. Any good quick advice out there? I want to get back on that tread mill tomorrow.

Replies

• StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    For my heals, after I get out of the shower I take a pumice stone and scrape the skin off. Then I lotion them. That really helps me.

That can actually be a sign of thyroid issues.. have you had that checked?

I hope this helps you too!
  • forttc
    forttc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use Bath & Body Shea it isn't so foot cream and heel of approval twice a day. No more cracked heels. Works great.
  • photofanatic
    Options
    I use a product called Heal Balm. It works great. If your heals are cracked it might burn a little when you first apply it but by the next morning you will see a huge difference. My heals are the same way especially where I live. It is so dry here.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    :happy:
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Try something thicker and oily- coconut oil, vitamin e oil, stuff like that. Bag Balm helps severely dry, cracked skin. Put some on your feet and cover them with some plastic wrap and then socks and leave it for a few hours. Hope that helps!
  • gypsy0911
    gypsy0911 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    HI!
    Im sure you drink, tons of water already, but a Massage therapist once told me if you are well hydrated, then your heels are not so cracked. LOL, take it for what it's worth, just thought I'd pass on the little info. Good luck!! Oh I do know Vitamin E helps!!!
  • CoastieGMWife
    Options
    When my heels get REALLY bad then I will slather some vaseline (petroleum jelly) on just before bed and sleep with socks on. If you are worried about the jelly making a mess through the socks you can wrap some plastic wrap around before slipping the socks on. I do this when my heel actually splits. After 15 minutes of so I will remove the plastic wrap and rub in the remaning jelly before placing the socks back on. I would NOT recommend sleeping with the plastic wrap on though. It traps in heat and can be uncomfortable.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart, it happened to me one summer and it was awfully painful. My podiatrist said that walking barefoot or in the flip flops that I wore into his office were unkind choices for heels that are cracking. Keep the wound clean, moisturize, wear socks and shoes with backs that support the heel. There are products at the drugstore specifically for treating dry heels, but I found vaseline effective.
  • 48fan
    48fan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with this also. I can spend hours picking at them because they drive me nuts. Just recently a friend of my mom said she uses shortening and it works. She rubs it in really good on the cracks. I'm going to try this. Don't know if it works but hey at this point I'll try anything. I've tried just about everything else; cream just for dry cracked feet; pumice stones, vaseline. You name it I've tried it. I guess a little Crisco can't hurt. :ohwell:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have horrible heels (my friend calls my feet "hooves"!) and I'e tried lots of foot creams promising all kinds of fancy feet.
    The best thing I've found is Eulactyl Heel Balm. It doesn't work overnight, but it does work.
  • hear4u2day
    hear4u2day Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas and comments. I don't usually enjoy message boards, but I'm feeling a little desperate of years of trying this and that. The product from Australia sounds promising.
  • hear4u2day
    hear4u2day Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ok, so I went for a pedi today, it helped a lot, but biggest help was crazy glue to glue the cracks back together. Whew, relief!
  • sftb
    sftb Posts: 40
    Options
    The wonder product is Foot Butter, by Rocky Mountain Soap Company. I believe they have stores in BC?
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    Natural remedy: Clean your feet before bed, apply glycerine, wear some socks and sleep off :) Do this for a couple of nights and your feet will thank you.
  • aml17
    aml17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ped egg from the infomercials! I'm a heavy walker and have always had calluses on my heels and my sister gave it to me for christmas as a joke not knowing if it even worked.. I tried it and your heels will seriously feel like they do right after a pedicure!
  • ornumc
    ornumc Posts: 23
    Options
    Natural remedy: Clean your feet before bed, apply glycerine, wear some socks and sleep off :) Do this for a couple of nights and your feet will thank you.

Have to agree with this. Best thing I've found is the Body Shop Peppermint Cooling Foot Lotion for everyday use (ie after your morning shower) and before bed (and even better evening shower) rub Glycerine into your heels and put on a pair of socks. It works a treat!