Do I have to exercise? Really?Like for real?

Options
Hi Everyone,
I've been on MFP for 16 days now and I've lost 3 lbs. I've only worked out twice but I keep my food diary religiously. (every single bite) I've really, really learned alot about serving sizes and food portions, calories, carbs, etc. and I've drastically altered what I've been eating. If I just want to lose weight and try a healthier eating regimen...do I really have to exercise? My discipline seems to be more in the eating dept. and not the exercise dept. Your opinions please... BTW my starting weight was 164 and I'm 5'5. I want to be 150 lbs by the end of September.

Replies

• trjrobertson
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I've been on MFP for 16 days now and I've lost 3 lbs. I've only worked out twice but I keep my food diary religiously. (every single bite) I've really, really learned alot about serving sizes and food portions, calories, carbs, etc. and I've drastically altered what I've been eating. If I just want to lose weight and try a healthier eating regimen...do I really have to exercise? My discipline seems to be more in the eating dept. and not the exercise dept. Your opinions please... BTW my starting weight was 164 and I'm 5'5. I want to be 150 lbs by the end of September.
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    You've got the right idea but for myself, personally, it's 50/50. Maintaining good eating habits is very crucial to our bodies development. However, exercise helps break plateau's and is really good for you mentally and physically.

I like your discipline towards your eating. That is something really important in maintaining weight loss. My personal recommendation, find an exercise you won't have difficulty doing. Make it fun and rewarding at the same time, you really won't regret it in the long run. With your discipline alone on food habits, I can just imagine the success you'd have with some exercise. Good luck.
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    For me and I believe for most loosing weight is a process. It has been a three year process. I had lost over 70 lbs before I came to MFP, and wanted to get the last 15 or so off. So in the beginning I could only tackle one thing at a time. I controled my eating and learned A LOT! And it worked for a long time, my body responded to just eating healthy. Then I plateaued (sp), so something needed to change, then I added in walking short distances a couple times a week, then slowly increased it to today where I can run for 45 mins or hike for two hours. And I love it too! I never thought of myself as an active person. But now I totally love it! So anyhow, take it slow, and don't overwhelm yourself, and most important........ HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    On a day to day basis I feel like exercise really just helps in the sense that it gives you more calories to eat. But it's the overall benefit that I have seen. I started walking in April but since it has gotten a lot hotter I have switched to bike riding after work. I used to walk really slow and my shins would hurt and almost anytime I was walking any distance with someone (at the mall, at an amusement park, etc) I was always struggling to keep up with them. But now I can keep up no problem, my shins don't hurt at all and I just feel better, more energy etc.

There is also the point then when you burn fat you can replace it with muscle, and having muscle in itself can help you burn more fat and calories when your just sitting around doing nothing as opposed to what you would burn doing nothing with fat on you.

Eating right is definitely important and congrats on your success, but from what I know and my own opinion, working out is defintely important too. Start out slow like I did, just go for a 30 minute walk. It's not terribly strenuous and with some headphones it can be really enjoyable to go for a nice walk. Good luck!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no.
    You could monitor intake of calories and not exercise and lose weight.
    However, exercise will not only help you lose weight but help keep your body in shape and healthier.
    Exercise keeps your heart healthy and without that thing in shape, the rest is for naught.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Here's what I posted to someone else a couple of weeks ago about this:

Why should you exercise when calories alone will help you lose weight?

You build muscle which makes your body a more efficient calorie-burning machine.
    You gain muscle tone which always looks better than being thinner and floppy.
    You provide your heart and lungs with the opportunity to get stronger and better-tuned. (Read, live longer, reduced chance of heart disease and so on!)
    You get more oxygen into your body when you exercise which is great for your tissues and also helps expel toxins from your system.
    You give your metabolism a kick to keep it sharp.
    You keep your bones in better shape by working out - bone density is positively affected by resistance training.
    You give your body the benefit of better overall fitness which will allow you better energy through the day, better sleep at night, more pep in your step to keep up with life and kiddos....

Do you need more? I can do more... :tongue:
  • Reesy
    Reesy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've always had it explained to me like this:

You lose weight by what you eat.
    You change your body and maintain with exercise.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Exercising is good for your heart and once you get into it, you will love it.

Throw on your ipod and take a two mile walk. It will go by quick and you will grow to enjoy that time.

Plus, it will allow you to eat a bit more on the days you exercise.
  • JackandJill
    Options
    It's funny you asked that because I was thinking the same things this morning as I didn't get out of bed to exercise before work. I get in moods where I like to exercise and now I'm in the "I don't fee like it' rut!!! Do you tink this will last long??!??!?! Help me someone. I need some sort of motivation to work out.. Any ideas for something fun?
    Help!!!!
  • trjrobertson
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts! Your encouragement and ideas....I love,love,love MFP because it's like having an extended family who understands what you're going through and want to help. A million thanks! :happy:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I started walking 20 min a couple of times a week. and now about 90 min. a day because it is addictive. I get upset when I cant I feel so much better thoughout the day when I exercise. Try at least 3 times a week to start you will want to do more. :drinker: