Calf cramps - suggestions for a beginner runner?

Options
Pebble321
Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
I've been walking/jogging for a few months now, have worked my way through C25K, though kind of stalled for a few weeks after the 25 min runs and am now determined to finish the last few runs of 28/30 mins.

I set out for the 28 min run this morning, with slightly sore calves - I think from a long walk 2 days ago - and had a painful cramp in my right calf only a few mins into the run. I walked and stretched for a few more minutes, then once it settled down a bit I jogged the rest of the time pretty slowly.

It's midday now and my calf is really sore - I would love to hear some ideas about why this might have happenned, any ideas to prevent it happening again and suggestions for helping the pain.
I'd also welcome comments about whether it is better to keep on walking/running through it, whether I should stretch, rub, stop, go, nap etc....

I know stretching is important - my regular routine is to walk for the first 4-5 mins then stretch before I start to jog. I might have been a bit dehydrated this morning, but that is the only thing that is different to any other day.

Any thought welcomed!

Replies

• aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Dehydration can cause cramps. Also, are you actively warming up (not just stretching) before running? I typically do a lot of jumping jacks to get my blood pumping and my body warm, which reduces injury. walking may not be enough of a warm up for you.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmm, that's a good thought, maybe I need to do something other than walking to get started, specially as it just occured to me that it was a lot colder outside today (the min temp has dropped by about 10C in the last 2 days) so being cold out might also have contributed.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    I know it seems odd at first, but you'll get your best stretch by pointing your toes UP toward your knees. If you point your toes OUT like a ballerina, you're compressing the calf muscle.

I used to get really bad calf cramps when I would first wake up and instinctively stretch. By retraining myself to do the "backwards" (even though it isn't really) stretch, I've eliminated the cramps.

Hope this helps! :)

EDITED TO ADD: Potassium helps, too. :)