Leg cramps/fatigue

Options
ahmommy
ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
I'd like to get some opinions. I started a diet and fitness routine at the beginning of last week in order to lose about 10 pounds and get back to my pre-baby shape. It's also in large part an effort to be more healthy in general. Part of that is cutting out as much sodium as possible.

I've been riding a stationary bike for 30 minutes every evening. I did take Friday and Saturday off last week, and most likely will again this week. I've noticed a general fatigue in my legs - not all day long, but as soon as I get on the bike they feel tired already, and it lasts until I go to bed (I ride around 8pm). I also have some mild cramping in my calves and feet while riding.

I know that low potassium is a big cause of muscle cramps, but eating a banana doesn't seem to help and it's a lot of calories for what it is.

I've been diagnosed in the past with a vitamin D deficiency and that could the the issue, but I've also read that low sodium could contribute as well, I just don't know how low your sodium has to be. It's a struggle but I maintain below 2500mg daily most days by not eating out and not adding salt to recipes. Still, I don't feel like I have a low intake, just significantly lower than I'm sure I did before I started tracking it. I've also been drinking more water than I used to but not large amounts, 4+ cups a day.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• karizmah78
    Options
    you may want to consider magnesium. I get leg cramps from low potassium - my doc said to take magnesium. I felt the results within a day. Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    avocado is also very high in potassium, higher than bananas, perhaps that might be worth a try?

Also, try elevating your legs at night (lie on the floor with your feet on the seat of your couch) to help with blood flow, my mother swore by it.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Probably just your body getting used to all the exercise.

To help with cramping I'd suggest CalMag. It's a powder that you can mix into hot tea or other warm drinks pretty easily.
  • hilltopr76
    hilltopr76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Look at your intake of caffiene and alcohol, or any other natural diuretic. Muscles need water for proper functioning. Also, have you had any mild headaches? Another sign that more water is needed by your body.
  • Sandy7777777
    Sandy7777777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what your talkin about and i too was told the same thing its from inadequate intake of sodium and potassium Im not sure what is the proper amount either. Tues my personal trainer had me do legs and my calves are still cramping im drinkin crazy amounts of water and have been trackin my protien intake bc He told me to eat plenty of protien and im always over the amount... not sure about my potassium levels except that i try to take Potassium Gluconate everyday.. and my multi vitamin along with some other suppplements like calcium magnesium with zinc etc. Im gonna have to do a search on bing and find more info.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I do take a multivitamin but I'm not good at taking it every single day. I'll check and see if it has magnesium in it and if not, or if not enough, I'll definitely look into that. If it does then I'll get better about taking it every day.

I don't drink any caffeine except maybe one sweet tea a week at a restaurant, and rarely drink alcohol, though I did have a couple drinks last weekend. I do get mild headaches from time to time, I'll have to pay more attention to that.

I did actually have some guacamole yesterday and saw a little improvement in the fatigue last night, so you might just be onto something! Although I don't want to eat a lot of it every day.