Working on body composition?

Options
how many people are working on body composition and not weight loss? I still have a lot of fat to lose but working on composition and trying to not be on the scale, is their pros and cons to this? Any advice while doing this thanks

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.
    I see a lot of people focusing too much on weight loss without realizing they are going to lose muscle too, and once they get small, they'll still have a lot of work to do to look good.

Glad to see someone else focusing on their body comp instead of a number on the scale.
    I use the mirror as a reference. Right now my bf % is going up because I'm eating well over the cals I need. But I can get lean again in a year.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm within the last 30 lbs to my goal so I'm working on my fat% now. I'm lifting weights using ChaLean Extreme. She has you lifting heavy weights and maxing out between the 10th and 12th rep. Hopefully it works. Gaining lean muscles shrinks fat so I'm all for it.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It's about balance I am doing both. Muscle burns more fat and raises metabolism.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Me too! The number on the scale tells me nothing anymore. I Am very focused on getting my body fat % down and keeping any of my muscle I can.

Just ordered my body tape measure and caliper last night :]

Im not looking to be a certain number on the scale. 124 currently and that means nothing to me! I want to be ripped one day ;D

(and in a sexy way xD not female body builder!)
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I'm doing weight training and working on lowering my % body fat. Since I started following The New Rules of Lifting For Women back in November I've dropped about 5% in body fat, but pretty much nothing as far as lbs. My weight hasn't changed since January, but I can clearly see more muscle definition throughout my body as the weeks go by.
  • fasttrack27
    fasttrack27 Posts: 324
    Options
    I guess you could say that I am. I'm fine with my weight and more/less maintaining now. I've been trying to get rid of that typical little guy gut which is the only place with any excess - the rest of me is almost too thin now. I try to blend strength/cardio but I cant seem to build the upper body up while losing the last of the belly. Another hurdle is a bad shoulder which limits my strength training. My endurance has improved a lot, but the amount I can lift has only modestly improved as each time I try bumping up the weight then my shoulder goes goofy so I have to back down again. I personally just want to live healthier and be at a reasonable weight for my body type. The exact # doesnt matter to me. Sounds like that's what you are saying too. For advise, just eat healthy and find a workout routine that is enjoyable to you and incorporates an array of things. I've learned to appreciate how the whole system needs to work together. Mix together cardio, strength, core, stretching - along with the clean eating - and the weight should naturally drop while you improve tone, endurance and flexibility. Hope that helps!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Yep. same here. Losing weight very slowly but gaining muscle at the same time. I only weigh myself every 3-4 weeks. I use a mirror and measuring tape to gauge my progress. I can see a steady improvement in my muscular definition, even though though the scale says I'm not losing much, so I'm happy. I've added almost two inches to my arms and legs, while my losing 10 inches off my waist, so my body composition is changing drastically. As for advice, I would definately promote weight training. Concentrate on compound movements like squats, deadlifts, bench presses or pushups, and chinups and rows for your back. Use heavier weights that you can only lift 5-15 times. If you can lift it more than 15 times, it's too light. Keep up the cardio so you burn away the fat and tone up. Good luck!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both. My weight/scale loss is slow, but my body composition has gone through some great changes.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options

Im not looking to be a certain number on the scale. 124 currently and that means nothing to me! I want to be ripped one day ;D

look up jamie eason and tell me that she isn't sexy.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    That's me, I actually want to stay the same weight (maybe go up 5 lbs) but I want to lose another 6 to 8 lbs of fat and add that in muscle mass.

right now I have about 22 to 23 lbs of fat mass (about 12 or 13 BF% depending on the measuring medium), I'd like to get down to 10% (not easy for a guy approaching 40 with a 50 to 60 hour a week, high stress job I might add). I don't know when I'll get there, but that's my goal. Currently I set my goal endpoint for right around next December, but that may change. I'd love to be at 10% BF for my 10 year anniversary, but really, that's just a wish, not a goal, I'm realistic about how difficult that is for someone in my position. I'm really focused on just gaining lower body strength and strengthening my gluts and quads, which I consider my weakest aspect right now.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    . I'm really focused on just gaining lower body strength and strengthening my gluts and quads, which I consider my weakest aspect right now.

Agreed. I'm trying to get my legs to grow. Been squatting a lot lately. I wish I wouldn't have neglected my legs for the first 6 months of training I did.
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

The only thing I don't like about moderate female bodybuilders (meaning those who aren't trying to look like men :happy: ) is when their chests become so defined that their boobs separate and look like someone glued two grapefruits to their chest...Not sexy in my opinion :ohwell:
  • bmontgomery87
    Options

The only thing I don't like about moderate female bodybuilders (meaning those who aren't trying to look like men :happy: ) is when their chests become so defined that their boobs separate and look like someone glued two grapefruits to their chest...Not sexy in my opinion :ohwell:

Yeah. It looks good up to a certain point.

You're looking pretty good already so I wouldn't ruin that chest :p
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    . I'm really focused on just gaining lower body strength and strengthening my gluts and quads, which I consider my weakest aspect right now.

Agreed. I'm trying to get my legs to grow. Been squatting a lot lately. I wish I wouldn't have neglected my legs for the first 6 months of training I did.

Words --> mouth --> removed. :tongue:

I went to a very exclusive sports medicine clinic about 2 weeks ago that has a performance athletics training facility attached, and was evaluated there, they basically said to me: Your core is great, and your upper body is strong (except for my left shoulder, which is super tight, but that's from 30 years of pitching, so I expected that), but your gluts and upper hamstrings are very weak relative to the the rest of you. I was sad, and since have been focusing on that a lot more. After Wednesday's squat, lunge, and weighted side raises session, I tried to do cardio yesterday (running), THAT was no fun. I've gone from heavy squats once a week to 3 times a week, and I'm feelin it something serious now.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

This is the look im going for!!! I dont think its too much and she still looks very feminine!!! By the way she is flexing in these pics!!!

2e3mrsy.jpg
    2z8n3th.jpg
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options

OMG sexy as hell xD
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    Told ya! haha
    Yeah shes flexing her core and tightening the chest. It's a "front relaxed" pose or similar.

^^ Running after squats sucks. I've started doing more lunges to get some variety in my routine. My routine only has 1 scheduled leg day on Wed but I usually go sat or sunday and squat again. Soccer season starts next weekend though, so I'll be back to once a week squatting so I dont have DOMS for games. :/
    I'm gonna bulk pretty hard this winter and focus on growing, so hopefully I'll be happy with my legs next year.
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    I could nor copy the pic but here is my idol, Michelle Rodriguez she does not have to much definition but I think she is one he'll of a good looking bad *kitten*

http://www.celebrity-pictures.ca/Celebrities/Michelle-Rodriguez/Michelle-Rodriguez-25.JPG
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    I could nor copy the pic but here is my idol, Michelle Rodriguez she does not have to much definition but I think she is one he'll of a good looking bad *kitten*

Michelle-Rodriguez-25.JPG

there ya go
    not bad. she isn't really defined but you can see the outline of her core muscles, just not the individual abdominal heads.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    She doesnt look bad at all but i would like a little more definition than that!!!