Im havin surgery december 18th! I wont be able to exercise f

Options
OKay so I wont be able to exercise after i have surgery for at least four weeks. I asked trust me. He said no aerobic activity for at least four weeks then i have to take it easy after that. THis is definately discouraging because I dont know how Im going to be able to lose any weight when I cant workout. Would I just stick to consuming 1200 calories a day? Then I just wont lose quite as much a week?

Replies

• Colleenie101
    Options
    OKay so I wont be able to exercise after i have surgery for at least four weeks. I asked trust me. He said no aerobic activity for at least four weeks then i have to take it easy after that. THis is definately discouraging because I dont know how Im going to be able to lose any weight when I cant workout. Would I just stick to consuming 1200 calories a day? Then I just wont lose quite as much a week?
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Stick to your caloric intake and don't stress to much about it. I had to lay off all exercise for several weeks because of a lung infection that just was to stubborn to leave me alone. Well I am back to exercising but it took alot out of me and I have had to go slow. I did still lose weight though.

Hope it goes well. Good luck and I hope that eases your mind a little.

Eve
    :flowerforyou:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Sticking to your 1200 a day will be tricky but definately doable without exersice, you will have to find lots of calorie reduced food so you can eat more toften hroughout the day to stay feeling full, eat a little often, 100-200 calorie bites throughout the day or just light calories meals.
  • kgoulet0405
    Options
    December 18th?! That is my birthday! Sorry you have to have surgery that day...
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    Check with your doctor about your calorie intake -- you may need extra calories for proper healing. I have had 4 surgeries in the past 3 yrs (2 major ones), and my doctors urged me to NOT cut calories during the initial recovery, add protein, and drink plenty of fluids.

It may be discouraging, but they may have you put the weight loss goals on hold for a while.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear you have to have surgery, don't let it get you down, even though you can't exercise you can still log in and we can all chat. Don't be a stranger. Take care of yourself.
  • playinwfire
    Options
    Well sweety I didn't hit the gym as I'm supposed to! too lazy but cutting on calories as much as I can!

And believe me I lost 10 pounds in a month now!

I do some light exercice but not as much now and then.... so don't be discourage and just don't feel like since you can't exercice it's OK to eat all the food in the house!

You can at least maintain or lose the weight while you're recovering :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi Colleenie,
    I went through a couple of major surgeries in the last few years, and each time it took 6 to 8 weeks for recovery. And each time due to the nature of the surgeries it was slow getting back to the gym. But don't worry, just eat healthy and don't worry about the calories. As long as you are eating healthy and you will be fine on the caloric intake. The main thing is getting enough nutrients to heal. Your body will naturally burn more calories while trying to heal. Don't skimp on the food, just make sure that you eat plenty of lean protiens and lot of vegetables, the only things you really will need to limit is fat and processed sugar and you will be fine.

Lot of lean protien, vegetables and lots and lots of water. Keep us informed so we know how you are doing after the surgery. Good luck.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Depending on what your surgery is, do what I call "pre-hab". Rehab type exercises before the fact. You will need to ask your doctor first, obviously, but the more you can do now to strengthen the area affected, the faster your recovery and rehab will be. I have a 19yr old female ACL reconstruction who is 6wks post-op today. She did about 3 weeks pre-hab and followed up with the Dr. yesterday. All he did was smile and say "wow, keep it up".

ie. if you can do 100 crunches right now, you'ld expect to do 50-75 post-op rehab. If you bust your butt and get up to 150 or 200 before, you'll probably end up where you are now. It's up to you. You will lose muscle while unable to exercise, but you can control how much and how fast.