"Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin" - NYTime Article

Options
Just read an interesting article in the New York Times that I thought MFP members should know about. The key to remember is that you shouldn't eat back more than the calories you burn off when you exercise.

"In short, it's what you eat, not how hard you try to work it off, that matters more in losing weight. You should exercise to improve your health, but be warned: fiery spurts of vigorous exercise could lead to weight gain."

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857-1,00.html

Replies

• KKButter
    KKButter Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JLink823
    JLink823 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the article - I haven't read it yet but intend to. I've heard the same ... your body is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. Great point!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    My sister and I joined the gym together last June, same starting weight and same heigh. I also dieted, she did not. I lost 50lbs and she gained 10. Diet is the biggest thing you can do for weight loss.
  • ohcaptain
    ohcaptain Posts: 25
    Options
    Based on that 80/20 breakdown, I am.... monumentally screwed. lol
  • sinceresmile
    Options
    When I was working with a trainer last year, she told me that weight loss is 70% diet and 30% exercise. That always stuck in my head. I was never able to change my eating habits, but now that I have... I have started to see results. I have noticed that even if I stray from my healthy eating habits, and still work out, I don't get the same results. So, I agree... even though I believe a combination of both is great... most of the weight loss comes from eating healthy.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with a few posts! While exercise will assist in making your body more efficient in how it burns "fuel" it is your food consumption that makes the biggest difference in weight loss.
    Unless i am spot on with my calories, getting them by "clean" and healthy food, my scale won't move . . . even if I have worked out like a madwoman all week.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Yea I knew this ...your nutrition makes u lose weight and exercise shapes the body.
  • krisvtx8777
    krisvtx8777 Posts: 163
    Options
    Interesting read-THanks for the post!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Diet to lose weight

Exercise to get in shape.

Don't need no NYT article to tell you that.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

I do want to point out though, that it's important for us to remember here that MFP creates a built in deficit based on the loss per week goal chosen, regardless of exercise. It's designed to help us lose weight whether we exercise or not. So cals are added for exercise to keep that deficit stable, and therefore weight loss stable.
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. This is exactly what my nutritionist has been telling me.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    interesting, thanks for posting this. Just goes to show how spot on this website is with quantifying our exercise calories and making sure we stay within that limit.
  • ohcaptain
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like a dunce student with 10 teachers all telling me something different & expecting me to get something - anything - right. :/

So even though I'm incorporating exercise, which I haven't done in almost 20 years, it won't help me lose weight. Super. My love-hate relationship with food wins again. :(
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    This was my favorite part - really puts it all in perspective!!!

"Yes, although the muscle-fat relationship is often misunderstood. According to calculations published in the journal Obesity Research by a Columbia University team in 2001, a pound of muscle burns approximately six calories a day in a resting body, compared with the two calories that a pound of fat burns. Which means that after you work out hard enough to convert, say, 10 lb. of fat to muscle — a major achievement — you would be able to eat only an extra 40 calories per day, about the amount in a teaspoon of butter, before beginning to gain weight. Good luck with that. "
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about articles like this. On one hand, I think people do need to educate themselves and learn the very basic principle of "calories in, calories out." Until you understand that, you won't be successful at sustained weight-loss. Part of learning that principle is learning that exercise alone is not going to cut it unless you're burning thousands of calories a day, every day.

On the other hand, I know a lot of people who read stuff like this or see stories like this on the news, and they're convinced that they don't need to exercise. They think losing weight is as simple as just changing your diet. And for a certain amount of time, it IS that simple. But you can only cut your calories by so much before that stops becoming effective and even begins to reverse your weight-loss.

You have to learn how to incorporate exercise into both weight-loss and maintenance programs if you want to be successful long-term. Exercise isn't enough by itself, but in the long run, dieting isn't either.
  • ohcaptain
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about articles like this. [...]
    You have to learn how to incorporate exercise into both weight-loss and maintenance programs if you want to be successful long-term. Exercise isn't enough by itself, but in the long run, dieting isn't either.

Thanks for that, jq. I think it's really the "all-or-nothing" approach that most of us favor that actually does the most harm.
    This article disillusioned me, and made me rather suspicious of Ms. Jillian Michaels. :noway:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like a dunce student with 10 teachers all telling me something different & expecting me to get something - anything - right. :/

So even though I'm incorporating exercise, which I haven't done in almost 20 years, it won't help me lose weight. Super. My love-hate relationship with food wins again. :(

They really should've called the article "Why exercise ALONE won't make you thin". Exercise is very good for you and even if you're not losing weight, you're still going to be more healthy for moving more. Please don't be discourage or stop exercising because it's still very beneficial. The point of the article is more to say, don't follow that 200-300 calorie burn with a 600 calorie treat. Both diet AND exercise are improtant.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This was my favorite part - really puts it all in perspective!!!

"Yes, although the muscle-fat relationship is often misunderstood. According to calculations published in the journal Obesity Research by a Columbia University team in 2001, a pound of muscle burns approximately six calories a day in a resting body, compared with the two calories that a pound of fat burns. Which means that after you work out hard enough to convert, say, 10 lb. of fat to muscle — a major achievement — you would be able to eat only an extra 40 calories per day, about the amount in a teaspoon of butter, before beginning to gain weight. Good luck with that. "

You can't turn muscle into fat any more than you can turn water into wine. You can build muscle while you burn fat, or vice versa, but one does not become the other.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

weight loss is calories in versus calories out...you need to burn more than you consume, now, you can achieve that deficit by eating less or you can achieve the deficit with more exercise or a combination of the two. A combination of the two works better health-wise.