Question about cycles

Options
Ok i have a friend who is on her weight loss journey and last week didn't go too well for her. Shes not sure when her cycle is but I firmly believe that what it is because you retain water weight. My question is how many weeks prior to your period will your weight be affected? Is just the week of or also the week prior to it???

Mike

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    She should be focusing on how she looks in the mirror more so than on the scales because her water weight is going to change from day to day.

She needs to keep at it.
  • xnattiex
    xnattiex Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I find that mine is the week before I start as well as the week its here...so yeah 2-3 weeks a month for me...not good! Tell her not to worry, to keep at it and it comes straight back off just after its over :)
  • MJKC9397
    MJKC9397 Posts: 15
    Options
    For me, it's the week before. I do notice a difference (for the better--not retaining as much fluid) when I'm drinking enough water on a regular basis...
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Well every woman is different... I start seeing changes i.e.: body weight, water retention, bloating, about 1-2 weeks before my period starts. But it just depends on how bad that particular cycle is going to be. But if she is worried about bloating or excess water weight have her cut back on sodium, sugars and caffeine.... I start cutting bake on those things at first sign of my pre-period symptoms... and drink lots of water (about 24oz more than the recommended 64oz) this will help flush out extra toxins that cause bloating and excess water retention. Hope this info helps :-) oh and I try to avoid the mirror during my period. A woman’s mind can play tricks on her while on her cycle LOL... just have her remember that while on your period the scale and mirror don’t necessarily reflect your true weight and appearance.

***drinking green tea helps reduce bloating**
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I know so many women on MFP who have serious issues with water retention, migraines, cramps, cravings, etc.

I believe for every woman it is different. Personally, the only two issues I have to contend with are the occasional headache and night sweats, which I remedy in an all natural way. My weight never changes. I don't retain water. I don't suffer from cravings and never have cramps.

But then again, my diet is full of hormone-balancing foods to help prevent all these issues. When and where possibly, I prefer to 'prevent' rather than 'treat'.

On that note, I think I'll try to compile some facts and write an article in the next couple of weeks to help those who do suffer. When it's done I'll post it as a blog and on the message boards on MFP.