My spouse is destroying my diet!

Options
So I have been working really hard to keep my calories under control and keep my exercise regular. All this works great all day long while I'm at work. When I get home my wonderful boyfriend will usually suggest that we go out for dinner. This is where I lose my hard work. Most of the places we go don't have a calorie listing, so I guess and try to eat light. However, I am not really losing much weight and I think eating might be the issue.
Does anyone have thoughts on how to eat light when going out or even some simple healthy recipies to make at home. If I cook I'm sure he would want to stay home more.
Thanks! -Lauren

Replies

• christinar2008
    christinar2008 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try eating Chicken when you go out rather than beef. Avoid sour cream, butter, etc. Also, only eat half of your food. Bring the rest home for lunch the next day. My husband likes to eat out also.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    First of all ditch the word diet. lol
    However, does he know how important this is for you? Can you be assertive to say that you do not want to eat out daily- ask if maybe 1-2x a week.
    He's not destroying you being healthy- you are allowing it my friend!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    First thing... like you said you should start cooking..

second thing, to prevent him saying you guys should go out, send him a text earlier that day telling him, that you have a really good meal that you are going to make him. and that he should be prepared... that way he is thinking about what you are going to make rather than where you guys should go for dinner.

He will also think its awesome that he has a woman to cook for him.. as for recipes.. go to "recipes" on this website, and you can look at all the tasty recipes people have entered.

you can also type in google "healthy chicken recipes" or "low calorie _____ recipes" and it will pull up some really great recipes.. Its all about experimentation.

Have fun with it!
  • ebju8482
    ebju8482 Posts: 32
    Options
    I had the exact same problem with my boyfriend(now fiance yay) so I bought the Calorie King book and it has pretty much every restaurant in it. It helped me so much and as far as cooking at home I also love the Cook This Not That books they are a lifesaver and actually the recipes tastes great and aren't to complicated. Hope this helps a little:flowerforyou:
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    One more thing- when you do go out- make sure that you ask for a doggie bag/to go box right away with your meal- separate it RIGHT AWAY and put it away! :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Use allrecipes.com you can size the portions right on there and read the reviews from others for tips. Also, watch Hungry Girl on the Cooking Ch or Food Network (or online) to get tips how to eat healthy in ways that your significant other will not even notice!! Love Hungry Girl! She has recipes online too.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

My suggestion is that if you know ahead of time where you're going to eat, or if you can at least plan where you're going, you can usually look online to find nutritional information. Obviously most non-chain restaurants won't have this option, but most chains do. A few years back when I was doing really awesome at weight loss, my husband always wanted to eat out of the house, so I'd look online to see what I could "afford" calorie-wise. I'd just stick to those options, and we'd both be happy!

If you're going someplace that doesn't provide nutritional information, I'll second what was said already about sticking to chicken vs. beef and (probably most importantly) pack up *at least* half of the food to start with, then eat what remains.

Good luck!

Rebecca
  • xeyemon
    xeyemon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eating out is a way of life for many people. Choose food that is as close to its natural state as possible. Make sure the meats are not processed. Choose starches that are also not processed ie sweet potatoes, baked potatoes. Avoid heavy sauces, fried carbs, and creamy beverages. REQUEST A BOX WITH THE MEAL AND PUT 1/2 IN THE BOX BEFORE TAKING A SINGLE BITE. I am in sales and do a lot of business over meals. I am choose to maintain good eating even when I go out.

Of course cooking at home is a better option, however it is not always practical. Once you realize that standard restaurant sized meals are 2x what you should eat ,you will begin to notice eating out is not as expensive for the amount of food you get. Good luck!
  • jrbb0309
    jrbb0309 Posts: 55
    Options
    Since you work and it doesn't sound like you have a lot of time to cook, I would highly recommend "Dinner Survival" and "The Healthy Family: Cooking for the Rushed" by Sandi Richards. Really good, simple recipes with full calorie counts. She has this whole system where prep is really easy and fast and dinner is ready before you know it and you can choose between recipes for quicker/longer prep and quicker/longer cooking depending on what else you're doing that night. And since the recipes are not "diet" recipes, I'm sure your husband would love them.

When eating out, choose chicken over beef. Ask for sauces on the side. Choose salads but have the dressing on the side and dip your fork in it and then scoop up the veggies. Choose an appetizer instead of a main meal. Or ask for carry-out container and dump half your meal into it before you even start eating. Restaurant portions are so big.

Have a talk with your husband though too about how important this is to you and see what you guys can agree on. Start with a couple nights at home where you're both committed to not going out and increase it from there.
  • sherryv02
    sherryv02 Posts: 26
    Options
    One more thing- when you do go out- make sure that you ask for a doggie bag/to go box right away with your meal- separate it RIGHT AWAY and put it away! :)

GREAT IDEA!
  • xeyemon
    xeyemon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Check out the books "Eat this not that."