Are you a moderator or an abstainer?

Options
2»

Replies

• CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm a moderator for sure. Here's the thing... I love food. Just because I'm losing weight, that doesn't mean I'm going to deprive myself of the things I like. I've just learned to eat modified versions or smaller portions and to make sure I'm burning off any excess calories at the gym.

I actually think this approach is why I've been successful on MFP. During previous attempts to lose weight, I would just cut out a lot of things. That would work for awhile, but ultimately I couldn't sustain it for extended periods of time. Since I'm now still eating food that I enjoy, I feel like the lifestyle I've adopted through MFP is something I can really stick with.
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm an abstainer learning to moderate because I know that I can't avoid foods forever. When I eat something that I have to "moderate," I really try to focus on how my body feels. Am I hungry? Or am I eating cake because it's CAKE!!!? I also think about the other things I could eat. Do I really want cake? Or, would I rather have a york peppermint patty and some popcorn later?

I <3 cake, obviously. 3 layer birthday cake with delicious icing and little flowers on top. Yellow cake, with chocolate frosting. I love texas sheet cake, and.....Okay, I have to stop now. I just drooled onto my desk.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I'm a moderator for sure. Here's the thing... I love food. Just because I'm losing weight, that doesn't mean I'm going to deprive myself of the things I like. I've just learned to eat modified versions or smaller portions

I completely agree!

Since starting MFP I have never denied myself birthday cake at a party, I still eat pizza, pasta...I just keep portion sizes smaller and if I know I will be having birthday cake, I try to structure my calories so it fits in without going over my calories. If I deprived myself I would not be able to keep this up for long.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Somewhere in between. There are things I cannot keep in my house or allow myself to eat on a regular basis because I just don't have any control when it comes to these certain foods (ice cream is the worst). But there are other things, like pizza or chinese take-out, which I refuse to give up and so I make sure there's room in my calorie allowance for a treat like that once a week. When it comes right down to it, having treats like that is my motivation for working out regularly. I know I'll still lose the weight if I"m burning enough calories every week!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm not in conflict! I just started a job 1 year ago that requires more work travel than ever (compared to a decade+). I'm true to myself, supporting local farms, growing my own veggies. Making a lot of healthy recipes with my hubby. The only conflict is HOW to find balance with this new life. It's my first job with a FULL kitchen, lots of free food and lots of biz trips all by myself.

The other thing that changed in the past year is that my Mom's been battling breast cancer. It's made me realize more than ever how important it is that I stay healthy. :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everyone who has replied in this topic. It's very helpful to read all of your feedback! It's funny how one year at a new job can change everything in regards to habits!!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Moderator! I could never cut out chocolate, alcohol, cheese, fried foods, or mayonnaise completely. That would just be a sad life for me! I just try to make healthy choices 99% of the time, and then let myself have treats when they fit into my eating plan for the day.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Moderator! I like food too much to totally abstain from anything altogether and I know I'd get frustrated if I couldn't have those things from time to time.

The toughest item to moderate was the "treat" type things like cookies, chocolate, or specialty coffee drinks. Once I learned how many calories they have, I was able to moderate and plan for them so that they really are "treats." We don't really keep stuff like that in the house anymore, so it's really a special occasion to buy or bake it.