Glowing Green Smoothie

Options
AngiMoss
AngiMoss Posts: 77
I received this recipe in an email this morning. It's a speak peek for a new book coming out. I thought it sounded good though & worth passing on.
Here goes:

The less energy we tie up in digestion, the more energy we can "unlock" to spread through our bodies and confer beauty benefits: supple skin, shiny hair, glowing complexion, strong nails and increased energy to hit the gym. "If we unlock that energy, our bodies will radiate from the inside out."
And her secrets may surprise you. "A lot of people think they're doing right by eating chicken and brown rice, then fruit for dessert," Snyder says. "But eating fruit after protein is like putting a Ferrari behind a Mack Truck on the highway; it causes a traffic jam." Because protein takes a couple of hours to digest, "the fruit will start to ferment and bloat you out. It's a total waste of digestive energy."

Snyder shared with SHAPE the recipe for her "Glowing Green Smoothie," the go-to beauty drink for Drew Barrymore, Olivia Wilde and Jenna Dewan (not to mention Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn!). "Every time I work on a movie set, the whole cast starts to drink it," she says. "It's a ton of nutrients, condensed and blended into a juice so your body doesn't waste energy breaking it down. The vitamins, minerals and amino acids will flow right into your system to rejuvenate you. And it's full of fiber, so you're not reaching for that bagel or that second cup of coffee between meals." Give the egg-white omelet routine a break, and try this instead for breakfast.

Kimberly Snyder’s Glowing Green Smoothie

Ingredients
-1 1/2 cups water

-1 head organic romaine lettuce, chopped
-3-4 stalks organic celery

-1/2 head of a large bunch, or 3/4 of a small bunch of spinach
-1 organic apple, cored and chopped
-1 organic pear, cored and chopped
-1 organic banana

-Juice of 1/2 fresh organic lemon

Optional
-1/3 bunch organic cilantro (stems okay)

-1/3 bunch organic parsley (stems okay)

Directions

Add the water and chopped head of romaine to the blender. Starting the blender at low speed, mix until smooth. Gradually moving to higher speeds, add the celery, apple and pear. Add the cilantro and parsley, if you are choosing to add them. Add the banana and lemon juice last.

The fruit and lemon cut right though the grass taste. Feel free to mix and match different greens and fruits, as these two specific food groups combine well.

Replies

• kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    Green Smoothies are amazing! I got hooked on them awhile ago.......the Green Smoothie Queen website has lots of info on them......
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I also love green smoothies. I usually don't get all elaborate with different greens - I stick to spinach, kale, and chard....and whatever fruit is on sale. Love them.
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm not sure I've even tried one. I feel like I've been stuck eating a lot of the same foods over & over, so I'm going to try this tomorrow to shake things up. I'll check out that website to see if any others jump out at me...thanks!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    rawfamily.org is another website with lots of good free info.