always tired

Options
bitty1taz
bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
Hello everyone!
I was wondering about being tired. I'm always tired and some days, even when I sleep a full 8 hours that I should be, I'm still very tired.
One example being today. It's almost noon and I just woke up. I went to bed around 10 last night and have gotten enought sleep the past few days. But some days I just feel so run down. This morning it felt like I was trying to wake up after just being given sleeping pills.
Right now I'm unemployed and will soon be starting school. I've never had a problem being too late for work or school because I can wake up if I have to. It's just soooooooo hard some days.
I've tried sleeping less than 8 hours, I've tried sleeping more. I've made sure to get in exercise and to eat right. I can't figure out what it is.
I'm not on any meds at this point. I was on antidepressants, and I'm not suffering from it right now.
I just can't figure it out.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any Ideas?
Thank you!

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should go to the Dr and get some bloodwork done. Do you have a history of anemia, or Thyroid probelms?
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've gotten bloodwork done, and all was well.
    Basically I'm healthy and my doc has no answer withouth further testing and because I don't have insurance right now, I'm going to have to put any further research on hold.
    I just wanted to see if anyone here has any clues until I can go further.
    But thanks!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    What are your diet and exercise like? If you're exercising hard but not eating enough or allowing yourself time to recover that can contribute to the fatigue.

The types of food you're eating can also impact your energy level. I have fibromyalgia and was ALWAYS tired even though I get plenty of rest and exercise regularly. I started drinking green smoothies (no crazy supplements or expensive "magic" formulas, just fruit and vegetables) and noticed my energy level began to go up. It made me feel so much better that I was able to increase my exercise (whereas before I'd just been plodding along and forcing myself to do a little bit each day)

I recently added one of those "green" powders to my routine and while it's only been a week I think that's helping with even more energy. I use Amazing Greens but there are a bunch of different brands. They're just high antioxidant fruits and vegetables that are in powdered form. You mix them into your smoothie or into water or other liquid and drink them.

I used to wipe out everyday at about 3:00 PM and desperately want a nap but I've noticed I'm not feeling like that anymore. Some days I'm doing my P90X workout (weights plus 349 ab exercises!) plus a one hour Taekwondo class and while I'm pooped at the end it's not a struggle to get through it and I feel so good!

ETA: I also cut out refined flours and sugars and try to eat mainly whole foods. We make all our food from scratch so I don't eat much in the way of processed stuff. I even mill my own flour and bake all of our bread. You may not want to go to that extreme but you can buy wholemeal breads (Great Harvest Bakeries mill all their flour on site.) Hope you get it figured out!
  • NBFIT
    NBFIT Posts: 79
    Options
    Vitamin D! I had to start taking it because I was low, but it doesn't hurt to get extra. I take vitamin D, calcium, fish oil & a multi-vitamin a day & I feel alot better now. I can tell a difference when I've skipped a few days. I am more tired & it's harder to get outta bed.
  • IanHammer
    Options
    One problem is that although many people get the recommended amount of sleep - sleep quality is poor. Things like alcohol and caffeine can have an effect for hours into the night. There are also sleep disorders that could be having an effect - though you wouldn't be in many high risk categories. Another simple solution would be to time your waking. The aim of a nights sleep is to complete the most number of uninterrupted sleep cycles. You want to wake up at the end of a sleep cycle after REM (dream) sleep as this is when we are closest to wakefulness. If you wake up in deep sleep you feel groggy, push snooze and don't want to get up. If you want to know more about sleep and personal energy (and see if you are at risk of the 3 most common sleep disorders) I can recommend a new website ( www.sleepknow.com ) which has worked with leading scientists to put together a sleep test and sleep training programme. If you are doing everything they suggest then start looking into other things - but tackle and understand sleep first.