So I need some help

Options
I had my first fitness bummer, today.

I've been doing well. I mean like, really well with this lifestyle change. I'm eating waaaay better than I used to, and working out a ton more, as well. I have seen a consistent drop in my wieight (slow and steady), and I am starting to see the changes that people are commening on.

BUT - a big goal of mine has to start running. I have always envied runners; even in elementary school, when we had to run the mile every year, or whatever, I would always wish I could be one of those kids passing everyone (me included). And back then, I was skinny! I was a kid, and I was in dance classes and very active! So I thought I'd never be able to run.

Recently, I started the couch to 5k program through the "get running" iPod app. Weeks 1-3 were pretty good. But starting week 4 ([run 3 min, walk 1.5; run 5 min, walk 2.5] x 2) was horrible! I mean god-awful! I got through my first 3 minute run, and barely made it through the first 5 minute (probably made it just over 4 minutes). When the next 3 minute run came around, I literally could not keep going.

I paused the app, walked another few minutes, and tried again. I made it through about 2.5 minutes of the 3 minute run, and then about 3 minutes through the last 5 minute run. And I'm not even talking about running fast! I'm working on a treadmill, so I can program it to a comfortable speed, which has been 5.0 up until today. I had to go down to 4.5, which I could probably actually walk at, but I still couldn't make it through.

So after all of my rambling, I just want to know: how do you push through to something like that? I really want this, so motivation is not the issue. Maybe I'm not quite ready? Or maybe it's a mental thing? I really don't know, but I wanted to cry on the treadmill in the middle of the gym, lol.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and sorry this post got really long, haha.

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Read through the C25k threads...sure there are people that breeze through it, but lots of people hit walls going from week to week. Or even more frustrating...get through the first day of a week okay, and then bomb on the second day of the same workout!

The attempt made you stronger!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to believe that you can do more than you think you can. More likely than not, whatever discomfort makes you stop running will not kill you--and if you just make yourself push through it a few times it'll get easier.
  • richiedbond
    Options
    I am also doing the C25K and I hit that same wall. I did week 4 day 1 4 times before I got past it. I did find it was 90% mental, I wasn't supposed to be able to do that. Once I just told myself I could then it got better from there. I just finished week 7 this morning and I have no intention of ever looking back. Friend me if you need some help with it.
  • nsavard21
    nsavard21 Posts: 11
    Options
    I found that if I was really struggling on a new week, I'd just repeat the week from before and then try again. You'd be surprised at how much easie it gets!! Don't give up, once you get your stride you will absolutely love it!
  • colliemarie
    Options
    I tell my patients to slowly increase the time you jog. Start with 1 min jog, 5 min walk. then maybe only add 5 to 10 sec to the min next time you jog ( the next day or maybe not till a couple of times you have jogged) and slowly do it that way. If your not in a hurry to get a race done I would try it this way.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice. I'll try to either go it again, or go back to the previous week for a few more runs. Glad to know I'm not the only one!
  • bebababy
    bebababy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i am doing the couch to 5k as well. i think you have to pace yourself. maybe you aren't ready yet to move on at that level. most folks ae somewhere in the middle. i think you should do what you can and don't beat yourself up for it because afterall you are off the couch! lol

what i did when i had a hard time was using music. maybe even change up what you have been listening to if you already have been doing this. i have certain tracks that i can just float away into and run.

no mattter what keep going. say okay 30 seconds more and then walk it out and get right back to it. don't worry you'll get there if you keep going. my husband can now run 25 minutes straight. he couldn't do that on week 1. good luck to you.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am one who bombed this. I nailed the dreaded week 5 day 3, then quit on week 6. I am getting ready to start back up and am scared! LOL!

If you are having trouble, there are a few options, you can repeat the work out until you can do it, then continue.

Or what I would do was Go back to the PREVIOUS workout or the entire previous week then try again.

You posted as I was typing, best of luck!
  • jrreed1
    jrreed1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I got stuck on week 4, too. It took me 2.5 weeks to bust through it where I felt like I rocked the workout. One the days where I physically could not do the 5 minutes, I shortened up the running intervals and did 3 minutes, walk 1 minute two or three times during the workout. I tried the scheduled work out again after 3 or 4 days of the changed intervals and was able to push through it. I ended up adding on a 5 minute interval on an incline at the end for a week, too just to get a little extra oomph. I did week 5 yesterday, and it was HARD, but I was able to push through. Keep pushing, you will get there.
  • zoezoe11
    zoezoe11 Posts: 15
    Options
    I went from not EVER running, 5 years ago, to running my first 1/2 marathon this year. It took at least about a year for me to be able to run 1-2 miles for me and i rememember going throguh some of the dituations you are describing: just not being able to push longer. But, I gave myself time and a mental resolve to keep pushing, and now I can run for 2hrs straight!

I am not a fintess expert but I think you will see improvements along the way as long as you always try keep pushing PAST YOUR COMFORT ZONE and keep this in mind:
    -your body is getting used to a very different cardiovascular operating level - this is why you probably will keep running out of breath for a while. As you keep pushing your body and heart to work at its maximum level, you will see improvements and running a 1 mile or 2 miles without stopping or running out of breath will be easier

-Some days are better than others. You will have days when your personal best may not be what you planned - and that's ok

-Make sure you have a complex carbohydrate snack (banana or dates would be perfect) before your run/walk. It makes all the difference. Foods loaded with fiber will not make a very good snack or a meal prior to your run as they produce gas and might impact your overall energy levels.

It seems like you have mental resolve and a grit to do this and you will have no problems reaching your goals, just give it some time. Good luck!